Watchtower Question from readers= Slams hunting??? Why???

by Witness 007 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Apparently, Jehovah did some hunting on one recorded occasion when he sought to kill Moses.

24 It happened on the way at a lodging place, that Jehovah met him and wanted to kill him.
    25 Then Zipporah took a flint, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet; and she said,
    "Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me."
    26 So he let him alone. Then she said, "You are a bridegroom of blood," because of the circumcision.
    Exodus 4:24-26

Although Jehovah did not kill Moses on this hunting trip, he did get satisfied by a choice cut of meat.

• dust
    dust
    Yet, there is no indication that they bragged about their prowess at fishing or hunting

Sure? My wife reminded me that they even counted the fish and recorded the amount in the Bible. John 21:11, NWT:

Simon Peter, therefore, went on board and drew the net to land full of big fishes, one hundred and fifty-three of them. But although there were so many the net did not burst.

Yes, the fishes are even recorded to have been BIG. And what about Luk 5:6-7 (NWT). If this isn't bragging, then nothing is:

[6] Well, when they did this, they enclosed a great multitude of fish. In fact, their nets began ripping apart. [7] So they motioned to their partners in the other boat to come and assist them; and they did come, and they filled both boats, so that these began to sink.

It's just natural to talk about what happened at work. People do that all the time. That's why they don't write about it regularly their diaries: "Today my wife asked me once again how work had been at the book store today, and I told her that I was happy for each and every of the 593 customers that bought a book." And that's also certainly why we don't find this passage in the Bible: "This same evening Peter asked John: Where did you buy that fish-hook? And John replied: The best fish-hooks cannot be bought. My uncle makes them, and truly I say to you: he is the best uncle you can find."

• bavman
    bavman
    Some who hunt or fish for food may feel justified in putting aside spiritual matters during hunting and fishing seasons. However, we show faith and trust in God when we do not let anything take priority of his interests."

As one sister put it in a comment at a book study one time...'God helps those who help themselves...' These WT writers are dopes!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    the thrill of ... the kill.

Why shouldn't Jehovah's servants enjoy slaughtering animals? Jehovah loves massive animal slaughters !

(1 Kings 8:63) 63 And Sol´o·mon proceeded to offer the communion sacrifices that he had to offer to Jehovah, twenty-two thousand cattle and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep, that the king and all the sons of Israel might inaugurate the house of Jehovah.

Every Kingdom Hall dedication today should include the killing of at least a few deer and some fish... right?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Here we go again PERSONAL FREEDOMS....Why do they continually encroach on peoples rights?

Everything is funneled back to center that being a preacher is everything. Keep everyone in line in the (middle of the cong).

Hope4Others

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Billy your too much

Isn't it obvious that that head people of this organization are mentally deluded in thinking they have the power of the almighty in their hands and they are being expressive based on that !

Is it an illusion or a delusion ?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    In this area, elders (and other brothers) routinely go hunting during deer season,

Blondie said that....It goes to show the difference in culture and opinions in different places. In UK the hunting is on horseback by people in red coats shouting tally ho! as the hounds chase a fox. And that has now been banned as a cruel sport. It is/was practised only by a minority - the country gentlemen set.

If any body in the congregation was to admit to shooting a deer, I doubt that the sisters would ever speak to them again.

I know you are are going to say that is hypocritical and there is more cruelty in farming meat product, and that is true. It is just something most Brits have not got the stomach to do.

As far as the WT goes, I think you are right in saying that it is a "personal opinion" . The WT's stance seems to make a distinction between hunting for eating and hunting for sport . I would not want to do it.,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit