Issue Number 2.... Incorrect Predictions.

by hotchocolate 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Hey thanks for all your posts.. I've been reading them but no time to reply till now. Bob1999, Confucious, Besty... thank you.

Voideater... :-)

QUOTE ***all the thinking! Welcome to the fresh air where your brain is appreciated***

Ha ha.. funny you say this.. my very sweet, elderly Presiding Overseer told me recently.. "You're thinking too much! Why don't you just stop researching everything for a bit and see how you feel." I know he meant well but I only just recently pulled my head out of the sand and I'm not sure how to go about digging it back down in there.

lrkr...

QUOTE ***It doesn't matter what they want to be called: mother, prophet, organization, channel, faithful and discreet slave, ark, etc. Those are just names. What matters is what they claim to know and what action they expect based on that knowledge.***

Perfectly said. Nail on the head, thank you.

Estee...

***This says it all. So . . . now you know in your heart . . . what will you choose to do about it?***

I don't know!!! :-( I'm writing down all my conclusions at the moment because I want to be clear in my mind about what I'm learning. What to do about it is consuming my mind. That's something I'm still analysing. Big decisions ahead.

Jeffreywhat...

QUOTE ***What has me in a spin is the flood, global or not, evolutionary/creative process and most importantly the actual identification of Jesus and Michael.***

Actually the flood and the evolutionary/creative process were two of the things that I ALWAYS had an issue with. And these were very first things I started researching. The whole "animals ate vegetables" thing has always seemed embarrassingly ludicrous to me as well. And how did eight people look after the entire world's animal population? Every species on earth today had to be represented in that ark. If a zoo contained that many animals today, how large would it be? How many employees would it have?

But the problem for me with this line of argument is that the practicalities can always be explained away as a miracle. Although this doesn't sit well with me, that's the fallback line I kept coming up against.

QUOTE ***I still feel that there is no guy behind the curtain, I dont think the GB conspires for power or financial gain, I think they have got it wrong from time to time, but so have I.***

I agree with this. Just as I know personally of pompous men in the truth who transparently enjoy the power of being an elder, I also know equally that there are many good men who are humble and earnest in their beliefs. And although the society is worth a fortune, if this was about financial gain we should see the higher members living the high life, which I just don't think is the case. I'm convinced these men are sincere. But we also know that being sincere is not enough.

QUOTE ***Search but dont get bitter.***

Good point. Bitterness distorts truth and I want to avoid any more of that at all costs..

QUOTE ***For the first time I feel like a have a moral and spiritual obligation to make sure of things and to really search out what I believe, our generation asks why and how alot. This forum is not the ideal place to do that, sure you find out some amazing facts and some crazy stories but no answers on which to build a belief system.***

This is what has me stumped. Like many people from the first month I was born I spent 5 hours a week at meetings, then more time in family study, another few hours a week telling people about it, and all my family and friends believing the same thing. I was never able to build any depth of relationship with a single person who DIDN'T believe. How do you move on to building a belief system after that? My heart is trained to believe what I've been taught. My own logic is still intact, my mind is certain, but at the moment I feel my childhood training throws me.

This forum may not lead me to a belief system, but I'm hoping it may help open my heart to begin the search.

x

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

PS Jeffreywhat... I'd be interested in reading more on your research with the flood, evolution etc.. do you have any posts you could link me to?

x

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The Keep on the Watch! brochure was a steaming pile of poo.

Oh no, they aren't false prophets, they're doing us all a favor by keeping us in 'anticipation'. From p.14, " If the end of this old system is already later than you expected..." hold on, it's not the reader that's made up decades of false expectations. As clearly established in your thread, it's the WTBTS that's making the empty promises and demanding that the R&F live with a false hope.

Clearly, if they didn't keep coming up with a steady stream of false prophecy loaded with sticks and carrots, what is left to keep any members attending and out trying to recruit new members?

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I'm researching this topic because I asked a jw: "Was Russel or Rutherford or the Faithful & Discreet Slave considered a prophet?" I received an emphatic "NO, not at all." I know that is not true and is in WTBS literature. Not sure if anybody's mentioned the artice in this thread, but I've got to run. Marking to read later.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

WT 1972 and Awake 1986 are mentioned, also check out Cognac's post which I thought was interesting.

Cool to re-read this post, wow what I way I have come since this. :-)

x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit