ZAZEN anyone?

by AK - Jeff 23 Replies latest social physical

• tula
    tula
    Tula, try reading a few books that attempt to explain Zen and meditation practice

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I know all about Zen, and Tai Chi, and Chi Gong.

Tula

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Whenever anyone claims to "know all about" anything, they do sound arrogant. How is that you know all about those things? From experience? Or just repeating what you read in one of your conspiracy theory books?

Cog

• tula
    tula

I know all I need to know about it. I know the philosophy, I know the techniques. I have participated three or four times, too.

How's that, Cog?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Oooh, three or four times. Excuse me zen master!

• tula
    tula

I have never been an elder, but I know more about your religion than you do.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Well, if you knew anything about me you would know I don't have a religion. I am an atheist! Nice try, though.

Cog

• Dansk
    Dansk

Best book on Zen I've ever read (and I've read many of Suzuki's) is The Three Pillars of Zen by Philip Kapleau. Easy to understand. Beautifully well written.

Ian

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Thanks for the recommendation Ian.

I will definitely give that one a read. I practice Vipassana meditation right now. There are a couple of people in my group who have practiced Zen and every time they tell me about Zen retreats etc, I feel an aversion to it because the practice sounds so strict and formal which is a bit of a turnoff to me having been a JW. (as I'm sure you can imagine!)

However, when I feel a strong aversion to something, I usually try to face it head on and investigate it further. Usually I find that is an opportunity for greater learning. So I am going to check out Zen.

Cog

• parakeet
    parakeet

I plan to read that book, too, Dansk. Thanks.

And to cognizant dissident -- atheism and Zen are perfectly compatible.

• parakeet
    parakeet

tula wrote: "At the risk of sounding arrogant, I know all about Zen, and Tai Chi, and Chi Gong."

If you really knew ALL about Zen, etc., you would know this Rinzai Zen proverb:

"Those who know do not speak;
    Those who speak do not know."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit