How Jehovah's Witnesses Control Your Mind - Controlling Your View of Truth

by flipper 29 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

For those of you, newbies or perhaps others who haven't read Steve Hassan's book - " Combatting Cult Mind Control" here are some very important things to remember of HOW Jehovah's Witnesses and other " mind control" cults operate . It may help you to understand some things to see how we were all faked out at one time in our lives.

Hassan's book states , " In totalistic cults , the ideology is internalized as " the truth ", the only "map" of reality . The doctrine not only serves to filter incoming information but also regulates how information can be thought about. Usually the doctrine is absolutist, dividing everything into " black versus white ," " us versus them". All that is good is embodied in the leader and the group. All that is bad is on the outside. The doctrine claims to answer all questions to all problems and situations. A member need not think for himself because the doctrine does all the thinking for him . "

Hassan continues, " Another key aspect of thought control involves training members to block out any information which is critical of the group. If any information transmitted to a cult member is perceived as an attack on the leader , the doctrine, or the group, a hostile wall goes up. Members are trained to disbelieve any criticism . Critical words have been explained away in advance as , " the lies about us that Satan puts in people's minds " or " the lies that the World Conspiracy prints in the news media to discredit us , because they know we're onto them. "

By using these thought stopping techniques - Jehovah's Witnesses and other cults are able to make members feel they are growing when in reality they are just making themselves into addicts. It makes members feel only positive thoughts about the group , and any problems that come up are thought to be the fault of the member . So any true critical thinking ability is not allowed to find out the " real truth "! So have you folks experienced this coming out of the witnesses ? If you are newly exited from the witnesses are you educating yourself to learn how your mind was controlled ? I welcome your experiences you have had with " mind control" and your experiences of breaking free from it. As always- I look forward to your thoughts

• Robert7
    Robert7

Very interesting. I need to read that book.

My experience is that by thinking this is "the truth" it is very strong to overcome any doubts anyone can have. Add on top of this the "don't get bogged down on the little things" mentality that is taught, and you have great mind control. This means you sweep all doubts under the rug, and just keep reminding yourself that this is "the truth". I was controlled exactly with this, even with doubts over the years.

They even convince everyone that the JW doctrine like earthly paradise, 144k, worldwide preaching work, etc, is so much the Truth (and all other doctrines are so wrong), that you are convinced that there is no other organization that believes this and therefore this is the truth. This is circular reasoning!

So they convince you:
    - This is 'the truth'.
    - All doctrines are 'the truth', and even doubters have a hard time finding anything better (Where else do you go?)
    - Everything else that is not 'the truth', is from Satan, and you fear that.
    - Add other things like stopping techniques, friend/family ties, shunning, etc.
    - When you're 'in', all of the above makes 100% sense, as crazy as it seems. (you are brainwashed)

Put it all together, and you really are stuck. This can be very hard to break out of.

My way of breaking free from it was internal. I am an independant thinker, and a logical thinker. I have seen enough 'red flags' of mind control that eventually I snaped and had to do outside research, where I learned the real truth. This takes a lot and I think that people who break away will be a slow trickle and not a flood.

This is why the WTS fears education and independant thinking...

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Its bumps of knowledge like this that makes this site great.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I read Combating Cult Mind Control a few weeks ago. I found it quite fascinating. Not that I really learned a lot of new material. I had already observed first-hand most of the techniques he describes in great detail. A lot of posters have referenced Hassan’s books in previous topics here, so I was familiar with a lot of what he says already. What I found most interesting was the contrast that exists between the Jehovah’s Witnesses and other cults in terms of the mind control techniques they use.

For instance, Hassan talks about being occupied day after day with the business of selling trinkets to raise money for the Moonie cult, so much so that he often operated on little more than three or four hours of sleep a day. This reminds me of the countless hours JWs spend, especially regular pioneers, peddling literature. Hassan said the Moonies told their members that any negative information about them originated from the Satan-inspired Communist conspiracy. JWs are taught that negative information about them originates from the devil and his minions, the dreaded apostates. Hassan describes how potential recruits get “love-bombed” at their recruitment seminars. The same thing happens to new people who show up to the Kingdom Hall for the first time.

I checked the book out from the library, but I intend to buy a copy and go through it again. I want to highlight all of the passages that apply to JWs. I’m guessing half of the book will be highlighted by the time I’m through.

To be completely fair, the only complaint I have about the book is that Hassan mentions that he feels God tries to help people out of cults and that cult members often don’t heed His directions. This is fine as his personal opinion, but he’s a professional therapist and should confine his findings to empirical data. He risks alienating people that way. A lot of folks that leave high-control cults are leery of people who seem to want to push new religious beliefs on them.

• flipper
    flipper

ROBERT 7- Many of us had to sweep doubts under the rug and stay quiet - because doubting was looked down upon in the witnesses. I too am an independent thinker as you Robert , and gradually broke free learning these things. You are right - the WTS fears education and independent thinking !

DARTH FROSTY- It is good we can reinforce each others decisions to leave the witness cult !

NEVERENDINGJOURNEY- I thought about what you thought about too ! About the Moonies getting 3 to 4 hours sleep a day - it reminded me of the witnesses spending hundreds of mind numbing hours in the preaching work - peddling literature ! The love-bombing happens a lot with witnesses too ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Another key aspect of thought control involves training members to block out any information which is critical of the group. If any information transmitted to a cult member is perceived as an attack on the leader , the doctrine, or the group, a hostile wall goes up. Members are trained to disbelieve any criticism . Critical words have been explained away in advance as , " the lies about us that Satan puts in people's minds " or " the lies that the World Conspiracy prints in the news media to discredit us , because they know we're onto them. "

This is why those that found the chinks in the armor have such a hard time. You have freed your mind of the
    control, and you don't understand how you couldn't see it. Worse yet, even though you couldn't see it
    yesterday, you don't understand how your family and friends don't see the truth of "the truth" today when
    you "prove" it to them.

My wife literally shuts down when I make inroads.
    "This is giving me a headache"
    "One more thought"
    "NOOOOOO!!!!!!! ENOUGH! I can't discuss this anymore."

It's a shame that this is not an isolated case. It happens to many JW's forced to look at the realities.
    They just cannot do it.
    Especially things like:
    1. "Jehovah" as God's name in the New Testament- it isn't there.
    2. It was a "cross." WTS uses one possible definition of one word to say "stake."
    3. No serious religions agree with WT's stand on many interpretations.
    4. It is not true that only Jehovah's Witnesses show love and are good and preach the Good News.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Looking back now I realise it took me longer to break out of the mind control than I thought. Even now sometimes I experience a certain amount of JW induced fear, even though I see it for what it is. When I was df I still believed it was the truth, causing me great anguish. It wasn't until I was reinstated that I began to find out things and research and that was only with encouragement from my husband. Before then a part of my brain was shut off to being able to think outside of the JW mind set.

Maddie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    you are convinced that there is no other organization that believes this and therefore this is the truth. This is circular reasoning!

That is the key. My loved one is fully convinced that any other "truth" out there would have
    to teach the things that WTS teaches. "WTS might have some problems because imperfect
    men run it, but there is nobody else out there preaching the good news and teaching an
    accurate understanding of God's Word." AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• megaflower
    megaflower

They kept me and my family living in constant fear

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Very true, witnesses do literally shut down as you said your wife does when their views are differed with. They all perceive it as an " attack " on their faith from " Satan " or the " wicked " news media ! They just are not capable of thinking " outside the witness box " line of reasoning. Thus the circular reasoning. They really do feel they are the best thing they have ! As long as your wife doesn't nickname you " Satan " OTWO- you'll know she hasn't gone too far around the bend yet ! Hang in there guy - it takes time.

MADDIE- You are not alone . The Watchtower society tried to control all of us with " JW induced fear " which caused many of us to shut down part of our brains. Cult mind control can and has happened to anybody. They try to scare us saying evil things will befall us when we get out of the witnesses ! But it's a false threat to keep us enslaved - more often than not we experience much more happiness when we exit the witness cult !

MEGAFLOWER- I'm sorry the witnesses kept you and your family in fear. I hope you are doing better now friend ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit