If "You Think Darwin Sounds Like A Nazi, There Is A Connection"

by BurnTheShips 57 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

alt

The title of the 1859 original says it all. Later in 1872, the title was shortened to Origin of the Species.

Darwin et al were firmly convinced that the White race was divinely favored above all others. Rudyard Kipling's poem, Take Up the White Man's Burden expressed quite well the sentiment of the times.

It is amazing to research the so-called great thinkers of those times. Did someone mention Ernst Haeckel and his recapitulation theory?

I have only three words to describe them and those of like minds today. Scared. White. Males.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I have a well worn paperback of Shirer's "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". I seem to remember his mention of Darwinism, this page is steeped in Darwinian terminology.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    He got some of it wrong so.

Some of that "wrongness" planted the seeds, or at least encouraged the growth of, some truly monstrous ideas.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I have only three words to describe them and those of like minds today. Scared. White. Males.

Truly nasty stuff Snowbird:

alt

• snowbird
    snowbird

Some of that "wrongness" planted the seeds, or at least encouraged the growth of, some truly monstrous ideas.

Burn

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Sylvia

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Wow - thanks for reading my link (in its entirety).

Guess I should've imposed it on you by embedding it instead.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Thats a very verbose link.

Care to distill it Awakened?

The gist seems to be that racism always existed, even before Darwin. I understand that. That is not my point. I think that Darwin was a racist and that his ideology facilitated a lot of suffering.

Burn

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

In Campolo's Philadelphia Inquirer article, there are no citations offered, no page references to either of Darwin's works. So how can any of the statements be verified? Given the severity of the allegations that he makes, Campolo should have supplied page references. Exactly where [i.e., on what page] does Darwin write the things that Campolo claims he writes?

As far as the Nazis' misappropriation of Darwin's ideas, the Nazis did the same thing with Nietzsche. The Nazis were all too happy to pervert and warp the ideas of almost any thinker whom they chose.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Darwin is a manmade hero of science and this draws attention to how human's love to hero worship even in our enlightened times. How did the mythologies of the past develop - well we only have to look at ourselves today. I'm not saying this in judgement against todays atheists but as an acceptance of the human propensity to make gods for themselves.

If we saw Darwin as an ordinary man and his science as an natural outcome of the thoughts and ideas being discussed and grappled with in his time we would not have to explain away his (by todays standards) racism.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I think this is about as ridiculous as claiming that being a vegetarian is some how linked to Nazism. Actually vegetarianism has a stronger link to Nazis then Darwinism. It was the early 1900's almost 100% of the nation that was white was racist and believed the white man was the best thing since white bread. Big deal, tell me something I didn't know Einstein.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit