Do you still pray?

by Layla33 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Layla33
    Layla33

I was wondering about this the other day before I went to sleep, out of habit and my spiritual beliefs now, I spoke to the spiritual realm above and asked for guidance and protection.

I remember my journey of leaving the JW "borg" (a new term I have picked up here - I like it!) and at first I refused to pray at all, and then I wasn't sure I wanted to or not, and then I developed my own sense of the higher power above and spirituality and every night before I sleep, I feel blessed to have another day of life, to do it all again. Even on days when I am not having such a good day, I take time to ask the higher realm for strength and direction. As a Buddhist in the morning, I do not pray, I simply meditate for about twenty minutes of time, to clear my mind and center myself. I love doing that too.

I am curious if the ex JWs and those on the road out, do you pray and when you do, whom do you pray to? I'm just curious.

• Bourne
    Bourne

As far as "formal" praying is concerned, only occasionally. But, as far as thinking of him, still being amazed daily at the complexity of creation, and wondering

where I fit in and where it is all going?......Yes, daily.

Bourne

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I am curious if the ex JWs and those on the road out, do you pray and when you do, whom do you pray to? I'm just curious

It depends on how misserable or desperate I am. I left the tower in 83 and prayed to a god of my understanding which was very much like my understanding of the bible God until about 2004.

Now if I am misserable or desperate I pray to God, the power of the universe or anybody who will listen and can help me. Seems like I have a 50/50 chance of getting what I want when I do that.

Till 2004 I called God, God, Jehovah, Jesus.

Now I call my prayer destination, "God the power of the universe anybody who will listen and can help me."

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

No. But sometimes I'm almost expecting a prayer before dinner and then remember I don't do that anymore. :D

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

No. To me it seems futile to talk to yourself and try to interstellar connect to an invisible sky captain.(my opinion anyway)

• oompa
    oompa

I can tell it really means a lot to my wife...so yes....with her....at dinner...sometimes breakfast.......................oompa

I think JWD may have to be my "Higher Power"

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Sometimes when someone or something needs help-almost never about me, when I call it a day.

I was told here on JWD that God answers all prayers and thoughts , but not always with a yes.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Still praying, to this moment. Have, what appears to be an even closer contact with "The One Who Would Be God". I have a closer connect and more realistic relationship with the Creator. Jehovah, or whoever, I believe, reads the hearts of we mortals. He knows who's being good and who deserves grace and mercy. What amazes me from time to time is the desire of God, to continue to bestow mercy upon me. For that, I am eternally grateful.

• myababes
    myababes

No way!!!! Considering it has taken me 8 years to get out of the regime i will not do anything that reminds me of it, the thought of praying makes me shudder.

I spent many years thinking that when the org spoke about a brick wall being there when you prayed meant that you had a bad conscience about something, then there must have been something wrong with me. I now realise that I never really believed in GoD anyway so no wonder there always felt like a brick wall was there.

God that religion makes me shudder just reflecting back on it

• White Dove
    White Dove

No, but I do consider and thank nature for giving me food sometimes. It just makes me more thankful and not take things for granted so much. It's a reminder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit