was anyone actually proud and happy to be spreading the word(ministry)

by looloo 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Pre 1975 there was allot of anticipation and hype that circulated down at the halls and lets not forget anxiety

I started going door to door as early as 10 or 11 with my father and I can't quite say I was happy about doing it, with do many people slamming their doors in my face !

maybe a little proud and arrogant because I did sort of believed in it, I think it was more out of duty more than anything, looking back .

Because my family was brought up in it there wasn't really a choice, not really

• oompa
    oompa

never, not once in 43 years....I am pretty sure I was in a VooDoo trance of some sort the entire time.................................oompa

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Just ask any Jehovah's Witness, "Exactly what is the 'Good News' that you are preaching"?

Most of them don't have a clue.

Very good point.

Back before 1975---the thrust was getting into the WTS before the end came....

but after that came and went without a whimper, it was all focused on the mental picture of eating giant fruit and petting tamed jungle animals.

And seldom was any honorary mention of Jesus Christ OR urging the householders we spoke with, to put their faith IN him.

• knock knock
    knock knock

There was a time that I really enjoyed talking to others about the "truth" but I was just learning myself and was under some odd notion that those who ran the WT were essentially honest and reasonable folk. I know, you can quit laughing now. We were all naive once or twice. Problem was that I soon began to question things and well, once that happens you're in your own mind spin and trying to convince others of things you can't understand or explain gets put on the backmost burner. Then you wind up here.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Yes I was happy when quite new to being a JW because I sincerely felt that I was doing something good. I never liked knocking at doors very much but thought that was the way it had to be done.

Maddie

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I thought I knew everything. When I was young, not many in my school could formulate rebuttals against my arguments. Of course they couldn't, they wern't stupid enough to spend their weekends, and evenings, getting brainwashed with innacuracies and fallacies. They were out having fun!

I was somewhat proud of this, and the fact that I beleived I was special because I had some special knowledge everyone else didn't, and was saved. Didn't mind talking about it any time. Just, not when elders told me too! After all, they started me knocking at doors, by myself, at 10 years old and instructing other young ones.

I hated them for that, and they knew it. That's where they started getting on my case. It was just never good enough for them. What cowards anyways. Why didn't they have the inner substance to do it themselves, instead of co-ercing a kid?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

yes i was..

didnt mean it was always enjoyable..esp in the rain

i loved it..i miss it...i ain't never going back

• leaving-jws
    leaving-jws

I remember there was a period right after 9/11 when everyone at my KH was afraid of terrorism errupting into the Great T. Honestly, at that point I remember being happy to go out in FS because I thought it what I needed to do to save myself. I don't remember being concerned about people in the community per se. I knew, as did others in my KH, that people did not want to hear the message. But we felt obligated to go out to earn our own salvation.

I don't ever remember being proud or happy about spreading the word. But I do remember feeling like "I am in the light and you are in the dark" in respect to householders. And I felt that my religion had all of the answers.

Looking back I feel bad about the way I felt. Also I realized that the FS is a selfish act for most JWs.

Its about saving yourself and your family members, not others.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I didn't like to be the first one to talk at the door but once someone was receptive I jumped in. I loved Bible studies and actually felt "high" after a good call. I truly believed it was the most important thing that I could do to help people. :-(

• free2think
    free2think

I never actually knew what the hell i was doing, so i dont think i was ever happy spreading the word, i was just hoping i didnt get anyone actually coming to the door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit