Some Interesting quotes about "Evolution"

by Blackboo 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Blackboo
    Blackboo

1. "Not one change of species into another is on record...we cannot prove that a single species has been changed." ---Charles Darwin----

2. "No has witnessed, in fossil record, in real life, or in in computer life, the exact transitional moments when natural selection pumps its complexity up to the next level. There is a suspicious barrier in the vicinity of species that either holds back this critical change or removes it from our sight." ----Kevin Kelly---- The new biology of machines

3. " I could prove God statistically; take the human body alone; the chance that all functions of the individual would just happen, is a statistical monstrosity." ----George Gallup--- Famous statistician

4. "What gambler would be crazy enough to play with roulette with random Evolution? The probability of dust carried by the wind reproducing Durer's "Melancholia" is less infinitesimal than the probabiltiy of the eye; besides, these errors had no relationship whatsoever with the function that the eye would have to perform or was starting to perform. There is no law against daydreaming, but science must not indulge in it." -------Pierre-Paul Grasse---French zoologist

5. "One of the major unsolved problems of geology and evolution is the occurence of diversified, multi-cellular marine invertebrates in lower Cambrian rocks on ALL the continents, and their absense in rocks of greater age." ----D. Axelrod-----

6. " The fossil record had caused Darwin more grief than joy. Nothing distressed him more than the Cambrian explosion, the coincident appearance of almost all complex organic designs." ---Stephen J. Gould---

7. "We have no acceptable theory of evolution at the present time. There is none; and I cannot accept the theory to my students each year. Let me explain; I teach the synthetic theory known as the neo-Darwinian one, for one reason only; not because its good, we know its bad, but because there isnt any other. Whilst waiting to find something better you are taught something which is known to inexact, which is first approximation." ----Professor Jerome Lejeune----

8. "No its not Christianity which need to fear the giant universe. It is the creative evolutionist...who should tremble when he looks up at the night sky. For he is really committed to a sinking ship." ---C.S. Lewis

9. "If we need a atheist for a debate, I go to the philosophy department. The physics department isnt much use." ---Robert Griffiths---

10. "From my earliest training as a scientist, I was very strongly brainwashed to believe that science cannot be consistent with any kind of deliberate creation. The notion has had to be painfully shed. At the moment, I cant find any rational argument to knock down the view which argues conversion to God. We used to have a open mind; now we realize that the only logical answer to life is creation--not accidental random shuffling." ------C.Wickramasinghe----

• marmot
    marmot

Oh give it up already. Trolling won't work anymore since you dropped this beaut' in your last thread:

"I have researched the theory of the EARTH moving..in fact it is the SUN moving not the EARTH! If you standing outside u can literally see the SUN set..if the earth was really moving..we would feel it..try sky diving at the earth going at speeds of 400 miles per hour..and see if u land in the same spot. There is no evidence of the earth moving..that is a lie and is false."

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I tried, to no avail, to find the full quote from Darwin. Turns out, it's not a quote from Charles Darwin. Darwin never wrote a book called "My Life and Letters".

It's not true whether he said it or not anyway.

" I could prove God statistically; take the human body alone; the chance that all functions of the individual would just happen, is a statistical monstrosity."

I'd like to see his statistics. But I'm guessing that he did NOT do the numbers.

"No has witnessed, in fossil record, in real life, or in in computer life, the exact transitional moments when natural selection pumps its complexity up to the next level. There is a suspicious barrier in the vicinity of species that either holds back this critical change or removes it from our sight."

Well no kidding!

Of course there is no 'exact transitional moment'. That's the whole point! Evolution is a gradual change, not a huge jump. There is no distinct point where a bump in the ceiling becomes a stalactite, but that doesn't meen it doesn't happen.

There is no 'exact transistional moment' when a seed becomes a tree, but it DOES.

In fact, this is an argument FOR evolution, not against it. Whether Kevin Kelly realizes it or not, this is exactly what we would expect from evolution, and the opposite of what we would expect if all species where created seperately.

There is no discernable barrier in the fossil record between Humans and Neanderthals, they sort of smear together

I would respond to all of these, but it only takes 5 seconds to say something completely stupid, and it takes hours to prove WHY it's stupid.

Suffice to say, they are all under the misconception that evolution is somehow random... Well, it's not.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Oh give it up already. Trolling won't work anymore since you dropped this beaut' in your last thread:

"I have researched the theory of the EARTH moving..in fact it is the SUN moving not the EARTH! If you standing outside u can literally see the SUN set..if the earth was really moving..we would feel it..try sky diving at the earth going at speeds of 400 miles per hour..and see if u land in the same spot. There is no evidence of the earth moving..that is a lie and is false."

HOLY CRAP! He actually said that?

I can't believe I just wasted the past 15 minutes responding to this thread...

• inkling
    inkling

ahem...

Troll.

T-R-O-L-L.

As in, please do not feed.

[ink]

• Blackboo
    Blackboo

What that has to do with the quotes i posed???

• inkling
    inkling

I tried, to no avail, to find the full quote from Darwin. Turns out, it's not a quote from Charles Darwin. Darwin never wrote a book called "My Life and Letters".

here you go:

What Darwin actually wrote:
    "P.S. In fact, the belief in Natural Selection must at present be grounded entirely on general considerations. [He lists the 3 general considerations.] When we descend to details, we can prove that no one species has changed (i.e. we cannot prove that a single species has changed) nor can we prove that the supposed changes are beneficial, which is the groundwork of the theory."

Darwin is saying (not very well ... this is an afterthought to a letter, not an edited work), that as of 1863 (only 4 years after publication of Origin of Species), that we did not have the kind of details that would show the evolutionary change of any one specific species. (He had no way of knowing that the future discovery of many fossils and of DNA, and dozens of other discoveries, would provide this detailed evidence in spades.) Instead (as he he describes in the sentence leading up to this) "In fact, the belief in Natural Selection must at present be grounded entirely on general considerations." (Note the words "at present" ... this was being written in 1863.)

This is why Creationist sources are so *dangerous*. By taking a quote out-of-context (and in this case, deleting and adding words!!), they present the illusion that Darwin was expressing doubts about evolution. This is flat-out dishonest ... but they do it anyway. Why? Because they *KNOW* that Creationists that come to these web sites *don't check quotes or facts* ... most of the good Christians who visit 'creator-creation.com' don't exactly have "Origin of Species" on their bookshelves, much less a copy of "Charles Darwin, Life and Letters, Vol II".

• inkling
    inkling
    We used to have a open mind

I rest my case.

[ink]

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Could you please tell me from which of C.Wickramasinghe's works/essays that quote is from please?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

As you're so familiar with Stephen J. Gould, perhaps you've read ''Evolution as Fact and Fiction''

Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts do not go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit