Would you support a witness who was refusing a transfusion?

by Caedes 30 Replies latest social relationships

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

When I was in the ER dying from blood loss, a wonderful elder's wife came to me to talk about my DPA. I had checked no to every fraction, being very confused and uninformed. I did not want to take a chance on making a mistake. She told me she didn't want to force me to change my mind, but she told me about the EPO shot. She very briefly explained what it was and that it was acceptable. She was the witness to me making the change on the DPA. She held my hand as I was in and out of consciousness and I remember her telling me I would be OK. I consider her part of the team that saved my life. My family had to fight to find a DR who would give it to me, as it was mainly used for chemo patients. I eventually received 6 injections. A week to the day of my first injection I was walking on my own and even bathed myself. That is after several days in CCU and ICU. The DR gave direct credit for my fast recovery to the EPO shot.

In summary, I would gently inform them of their choices. And support them in whatever they chose to do.

momz

• llbh
    llbh

I have as a Jw supported my wife in her decision to refuse blood during the very difficult birth of our first child 24y ago

Now having left i would do all i could do to get to accept blood if necassary (she is still in) though not force her to.

I Would not sign any forms that aided her refusal

regards

David

• Caedes
    Caedes

I think I with llbh on this, I wouldn't do anything to support the decision. I wouldn't sign any forms or help to raise the matter unless the family member had first.

If it was a child then I would do anything in my power to allow the doctors to do their job.

But since witnesses are so brainwashed regarding the blood issue, I find it difficult to get away from the fact that they are effectively drinking the 'kool-aid' and I am not sure I could stand idly by and watch someone kill themselves regardless of it being 'their choice'

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Are some of you CRAZY!!! A witness who refuses blood is not of sound mind...he has been brainwashed into believing whole blood Transfusions are against God's law and they will lose everlasting life...so it would be beneficial to die and be re-born...we know that's crap. If your relative was "born again" and went to a faith healer with his Cancer, and refused other treatment since he was "healed." Would you respect his choice?? Or a Christian Scientist who refuses all medical treatment?? Would you step in and save your loved one from themselves? What if a bushfire is coming towards the house and he/she refused to leave...would you throw them over your shoulder and get them out..or respect their freedom of choice? Come on get real!!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My mum is the most fanatical Witness ever. On her blood card she ticks "No" on ALL blood fraction treatments, just to be safe with Jehovah. If she needed a Transfusion I would ask to see her blood card...rip it up and flush it down the toilet...no more legal document. Turn to the HLC Elders and say in my Arnie Terminator voice: "GET OUT!!" That would be it, I would tell them she is senile and mentally not well. Do anything!

• fokyc
    fokyc

YES! My wife and I have often discussed this very point. She is a very firm JW and is entitled to her opinions whatever I think, if the worst happened I would support her in refusing blood,

However I would make all the suggestions for alternative treatments such as EPO etc.

There is plenty of good information on the web such as NOBlood, http://www.noblood.org/

We have already been through this with a son who died after an operation, it was his choice to not have blood and the hospital respected that.

Each to his own!

fokyc

• Caedes
    Caedes
    Turn to the HLC Elders and say in my Arnie Terminator voice: "GET OUT!!"

If I were ever in that situation it would be incredibly satisfying to chase that bunch of vultures out.

• Mary
    Mary
    I was thinking about what I would do if a family member was in the situation of refusing a blood transfusion. If the doctors were trying to force them to accept a transfusion, would I support my family members right to choose or would I take the position that they are brainwashed and are incapable of making a rational choice on the matter?

Well, if they're an adult, you might not have much choice. When my dad almost died last September due to a bleeding ulcer, I inadvertently saved his life by telling the doctor that plasma was on the list of 'accepted' things that a Witness would take. Since we did not have his blood card with us at the time (and I've long since tore mine up), and being in an extremely stressful situation, I truly thought that plasma was on the list of "approved" therapies. While my dad was initially very upset when he found out he had been given a transfusion, I think that secretly, both he and my mom and Dub sister were all relieved that he got it. Plus, since I was the one that authorized it, they've got nothing to feel guilty about.

I remember when the doctor first asked mom if it was her wish that dad not be given a transfusion, she really wavered because in effect to refuse it meant that he was going to die. He was bleeding internally at such a rate that a transfusion was the only thing that would save him at that point.

I have no regrets about doing this and no one in my family has ever even suggested that we 'did the wrong thing' and naturally no one in our family would even think about telling the elders. When I explained to my parents that dad did not receive "whole blood", but only plasma, which is made up of the fractions of components that they're allowed to accept, along with water and vitamins, etc., they seemed to be fine with that.

The ironic thing is: I'm more informed about the whole blood issue (thanks to this site) than what either of my parents or even my Dub sister are. They all admitted that the new blood card is very confusing and most Witnesses don't understand it. I told my sister that I believe that was done intentionally, so that people would check off "no" to everything and if they died, the WTS couldn't be held liable.

With that said, I don't know if I could "support" a decision to let a family member die due to refusing a transfusion, since we know there is no biblical basis for it at all. Plus, the only reason Witnesses refuse the transfusion is because they're trained to believe that Jehovah will murder them for trying to save their own lives---another fabrication invented by the Governing Body. It would be a tough decision.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I respect the right of an adult to make his or her own decisions, even if I don't agree with those decisions.

W

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have had two major ulcer operations ,& was a fanatical JW ,,,,over my bed I had printed "NO BLOOD"

I had the operations with DR Palmer in Montreal who tried to reason with me even as I was just going under the knife. But I didnt have my own mind did I ? My mind was belonging to the Organization.

When witness oo7 said A witness who refuses blood is not of sound mind...I really have to agree
    But I still wrestle with the reason WHY!!!! did a few of my friends die...when they refused it. & I lived!!!!"
    " I want to kick the bucket" Dr Palmer said I was a miracle gal!!!! He was surprised. Used to bring all his interns around to "show me off"Of course it was a real booster to the "brothers& sisters"??? Look Jehovah had been with me!!!! Baloney... !!!!! I have since read where sometimes DR give the blood with out the patient knowing it!!!I wonder if that happened to me. Or weather the Devil was looking after his own, I was really good at "making folks JWS"........Oh well !!! I still have no blood on my files but I have also no other life saving methods either.... At my age I am just waiting to have a good "sleep"LOL

Good for you Mary ! You were used by God in my humble opinion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit