I NEED TO VENT

by Cindi_67 33 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

I have heard that when you approach the end of life, your regrets are usually about things you DIDN'T do, rather than things you DID do.

Not reaching your true potential will weigh heavy on your mind. (And remember: the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step....

so get stepping!!)

• leaving-jws
    leaving-jws

Hi Cindy_67,

When I read your post I totally understood you. There are so many JWs that put their lives on hold waiting for the big A. But you cannot let yourself feel discouraged because of your decision. At the time, you thought you were doing the right thing.

But like what others have already written. It's not too late to make a change. Don't dwell on the past! I was in your shoes as well. But when I realized the hypocrisy in the religion, I quickly made changes and re-evaluated my life. I pursued my education and now I can called myself a professional.

You can do it too.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Here's a guy that more than fifty years after getting his Bachelor of Science, he got another degree! He was 72 years old receiving another degree in the Associate of Arts program at DCCC.

Just proof that where the heart wants to be, the will can take it.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=sh&GRid=9014202&

CG

• JK666
    JK666

Cindi,

All you have now is today, so make the changes in your life that are needed. If you want to continue your education, do it! Many of us have after leaving the Borg. It is a daunting task, but it can be done. I left in my 40's, had no formal higher education, and went on to get my Associates and Bachelors degrees. It is not easy, but can be done.

Good luck,

John

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Hey Cindi,

I know exactly how you feel. I wanted to go to college when I graduated from high school but I was prevented by my parents and guilt ridden by others.

Three years ago I found myself in a divorce...I knew I had to do something for my two children. At the time it was only for my kids but I'm ending my first degree and I'm getting ready to enter my second; the degrees are more for me and not only my children now.

One psychologist told me, "if you look in the rear view mirror you're gonna crash but if you look straight ahead you're gonna get where you want to get". He is absolutely right. Don't look in the past (or the rear view mirror) look straight ahead to what you can do and you'll be so proud of yourself.

Good luck and hang in there, I know it's tough (from experience).

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

First-welcome to the forum raindog.

Cindy-welcome ! I don't know your age, but as long as you are not yet a senior, I can suggest there is time to get the education you want and need. Even if formal education is out of the question, libraries, and the 'net are excellent resources to find what you need.

You cannot accomplish what you want as long as you continue to dwell on your past. I had to let go of all the juvenile stuff from decades ago, and get the diploma I so needed to survive.

You can too!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I can relate to your feelings.

I graduated tops in my class, but was sucked in by the JW's.

My daughter, an active JW, graduated tops in class of 2007. She's an Honors Freshman at university right now.

Fool me once ...

Sylvia

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

First-welcome to the forum raindog.

Cindy-welcome ! I don't know your age, but as long as you are not yet a senior, I can suggest there is time to get the education you want and need. Even if formal education is out of the question, libraries, and the 'net are excellent resources to find what you need.

You cannot accomplish what you want as long as you continue to dwell on your past. I had to let go of all the juvenile stuff from decades ago, and get the diploma I so needed to survive.

You can too!

Thank you all for your words. I'll try not to dwell on those things too much. Negative thoughts attract negative things. And, with all due respect to the seniors in this board, thankfully I am not there yet. I am only 40 years old, but want to be able to reach my senior years accomplished and feeling fulfilled.

Thanks again folks.

• happehanna
    happehanna

They say 'life begins at forty'

I know for sure mine did!

Playing catch up isn't easy but it is worth it!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Been there, done that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit