We don't celebrate holidays because ........

by RubaDub 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary
    Sister Scully said: He certainly didn't mind celebrating Christmas during Prohibition, when whiskey from Canada was smuggled in for given to him as a Christmas gift.

Oh now come on Scully, be reasonable. How else was he supposed to get filled with The Holy Spirit, if not in the form of a 60 ouncer of good Canuck whiskey?? Actually, I wonder if the whiskey had a really negative effect on his miserable disposition. I've witnessed a real change in some people's moods when they drink this stuff----makes them really mean and nasty. This would certainly explain de Judge's lousy attitude.........

BTW, didn't that picture of the Bethel Family on Christmas Morning 1926 include JF Rutherford??

Yep.....he's the one in the blue shirt:

BethelChristmas.gif picture by sam3217

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

So John the Baptist got his head chopped off, on his Birthday.

So everybody gets punished, for there Birthday.

That is not right.

All the other holidays are bad too.

JWs don't want you to spend your money on yourself,

because JWs wants it all.

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

I think there are two main reasons that the leadership doesn't want the rank and file to celebrate holidays.

1) JWs will end up spending time with "worldly relatives", and find out they're not as bad as the Watchtower Society makes them out to be.

In addition, the "worldly" relatives could be a source of information about pedophile lawsuits, UN involvement, etceteras ...

2) It takes time and money away from the organization. Why should JWs spend money on Christmas when they can put it in the contribution box?

When these factors are mitigated by the WTS, the celebration is okay. A good example is wedding ceremonies, which are clearly pagan, but the WTS doesn't care since they have extensive rules in place to control the "celebration".

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

When I started this thread I never thought there would be so much thought put into the comments ....

As a person still with "one foot in" that attends meetings about once a week or so, I was just complaining about the monotony of the holiday argument.

But ... WOW ... thanks to all for the insight into the other issues.

Rub a Dub

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Cults want to be seperate - stay away from the wicked world and its ways.

sjp.18HolidaysandCelebrations***

Additionally, birthday celebrations tend to give excessive importance to an individual, no doubt one reason why early Christians shunned them

Of course,, It is there to celebrate the individual...What is wrong with making a little girl feel special one day in a year?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What gets me on this- point out the origin of a holiday and it's pagan or demonic. That is generally true.
    If it ain't one of those, it is just too patriotic for people who are "no part of the world."

Then point out the origin of Watchtower Bible and Tract Society- numerology and pyramidology. Well,
    that's different. God was guiding CTR closer to the truth until they got rid of the pagan part. It's no
    different from Mother's Day or Thanksgiving.

"I honor my mother all the time." Then honor her at the same time everyone else does, so she doesn't feel left out.
    "We give thanks all the time." Then get together and do the formal thanks, glad for the time off from work. Thanks for the
    wonderful country Jehovah lets you "be no part of the world" from within.

• freydi
    freydi

http://yahushua.net/santa.htm

Jeremiah 10:1 - Hear ye the word which YHWH speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 2 Thus saith YHWH, "Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. "

I am now going to focus on something that Yahushua spoke about in the book of Revelation. In two places he makes mention of "the Nicolaitans"...

Revelation 2:6 - "But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate."

Revelation 2:15 - "Thus you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate."

Who were the Nicolaitans? This question seems to have baffled many throughout the centuries. The answer might come as quite a surprise to some: A Nicolaitan is a follower of Nike, the winged goddess of victory (from Greek Mythology). Nike has become quite a popular term amongst modern day sports enthusiasts (as was also the case at sporting events in the ancient Greek and Roman empires).

Turning to Strong's Concordance, we read:

The word Nicolaitan, is Strong's Greek #3531 from Greek #3532 which is Nikolaos (Nicolas). Nikolaos is a compound word of 2 Greek words: Nike and Laos (Nike-Laos) = (Nicolas).

In Greek mythology, Nike is represented as the goddess of victory whose function was to proselytize or evangelize for Zeus, the Greek deity. If you look in Webster's International Dictionary under the heading Zeus, you will find a picture of Zeus sitting on a throne with Nike in back of him, in the act of putting a crown of laurel upon his head. Saint Nike-Laos, or Santa Claus, is of Satan the devil! What are the deeds of the Nicolaitans? For an in depth study on the subject of Nicolatans, go to: Are you a Nicolaitan?

• Mary
    Mary

What freydi didn't mention (and perhaps doesn't know) is that the scripture he quoted in Jeremiah 10:1 isn't referring to a Christmas tree, it's making reference to idols as is brought out in verse 5 of the same chapter:

Jeremiah 10:5:

Like a scarecrow in a melon patch,
    their idols cannot speak;
    they must be carried
    because they cannot walk.
    Do not fear them;
    they can do no harm
    nor can they do any good."

So sorry freydi....your theory that this scripture is referring to a Christmas tree falls flat when you read the context.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

We don't celebrate holidays because ........it's against our religon.

When I was a good dub and argumentive about everything, I was told "you just want to be different".

Boy, was he right.

• freydi
    freydi

"To him that has an ear, listen."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit