"Making a case for 'intelligent design'"

by inkling 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inkling
    inkling

The following guest editoral ran in a mainstream fairly liberal city newspaper:

• inkling
    inkling

critique to follow...

edited to add: Arrg. Ok, I can't do this at the moment. I am just too annoyed to think straight.

[ink]

• Blackboo
    Blackboo

Oh boy.....evolution has a BIG PROBLEM...LOL! That makes perfect sense...evolution is like playing chess or a impossible to win LOTTERY..DNA is proven to be a deliberate working system..and shows no EVIDENCE of *PLAYING GAMES* Thats why when u commit a crime..and they suspect you were their at the time of the crime with YOUR DNA their..rather it be blood or semen..and 99.9% comes back to you..when they TEST you..you are GUILTY of that CRIME..ALL OF US DNA is DIFFERENT...our tongue prints, thumb, and finger prints are TOTALLY different from the next person...is that deliberate or blind luck? lol...i,ll wait evolution believers....

• inkling
    inkling

my "favorite" parts of the essay:

Evolution has never been proven.
    Well, it has been proven that the bacterial flagellum, the tiniest irreducible complex molecular machine used as a motor to move a cell, could never have been produced by a Darwinian mechanism or evolution.
    Goodbye, evolution and natural selection. Intelligent design is back on the table.
    So to....all the so-called scientists and teachers who treat evolution as scientific fact, let us not digress into extraterritorial proclivity to express erudite pedagogy, without first exploring the pragmatic veracity and authenticity of one's misguided, melodramatic articulations.
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Inkling,

Maybe this link will help you. It deals effectively and critically with claims that the bacterium flagellum is irreduceable.

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/design2/article.html

In part, under the paragraph "Answering the Argument", it says:

As we will see, the flagellum – the supreme example of the power of this new "science of design" – has failed its most basic scientific test. Remember the claim that "any precursor to an irreducibly complex system that is missing a part is by definition nonfunctional?" As the evidence has shown, nature is filled with examples of "precursors" to the flagellum that are indeed "missing a part," and yet are fully-functional. Functional enough, in some cases, to pose a serious threat to human life.
  • Open mind
    Open mind

This editor's big guns are:

1. Irreducible Complexity

2. Appeal to Authority

Richard Dawkins makes a very reasonable refutation of Irreducible Complexity in "The God Delusion", IMO.

As to his Appeal to Authority with his Gang of 600, well, that horse has been beaten to a pulp, so I'll stop right there.

I still cling to a belief in a higher power, but I am the first to admit that it is not scientifically defensible. In fact, Dawkins even has a pretty plausible Darwinian explanation for my (so far) unshakeable belief. I'll probably grow out of it someday.

OM

• Blackboo
    Blackboo

Whats funny though about evolution why do those who believe it IGNORE the obvious EVIDENCE of DELIBERATE DESIGN...i mean MEN have ADAM APPLES AND WOMEN ARE FLAT AROUND THE NECK...Evolution CAUSE that too i guess...lol

• Blackboo
    Blackboo

Also do non-living or living organisms have a MIND of there OWN...and under strange chances just decided to PROGRAM everything in US that makes US HUMAN...LOL..People please wake up..

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone

Blackboo,

This has to be a joke, I am worried i am losing my sense of humour not to spot this outright, but your comments are tilting over the balance in exaggerated parody now .

By the way on the OP posting, that was an interesting article. It amazes me how IR is still brought up, I thought the Dover trial had dispensed with the non-scientific view of ID and its baby IR.

Apparently this writer has never heard of a God believing scientist called Dr K. Miller, who showed, the VOLUMES on how the Bacterial flagellum did indeed evolved from other part, and be shown that the system can work well well missing nearly all of its major parts.

The ignorance of this article is astounding!

• metatron
    metatron

Jehovah God made a crocodile that was bigger than a city bus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinosuchus

He also made mosquitos and guinea worms. What a marvelous evidence of intelligent design - from a Mad Scientist Deity.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit