Even active witnesses think this is way over the top.....

by yourmomma 80 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    WhiteDove wrote: That was not a true story. How could it be? The bullet wiped out the OCD part of the brain. Yeah, right.

That analogy is amazingly similar to another urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/tumor.asp

-Aude.

• VM44
    VM44

Lorsh gives this illustration as part of his anti-college tirade:

But what follows is a true experience of a young man who suffered from a compulsive disorder which made him wash his hands over and over again, even 100 times a day. This disorder discouraged him so much that one day he decided to commit suicide. He bought a rifle, put it in his mouth, and pulled the trigger. The bullet, however, didn't kill him, but instead perforated the part of his brain that was responsible for his compulsive disorder. He survived and after that he managed to live a normal life.

And what did this young man do after he was "cured"?.......He went to college!

Losch doesn't mention that!

• VM44
    VM44

The story comes from 1988, and was published by the New York Times.

Brain Wound Eliminates Man's Mental Illness

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE5D91730F936A15751C0A96E948260

• catbert
    catbert

Data from a recent pew report indicates:

---
    Jehovah's Witnesses have the lowest retention rate of any religious tradition. Only 37% of all those who say they were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses still identify themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses.
    --

The GB probably looks at this and asks themselves how they can take control back.
    "Independent thinking" is encouraged in college.

Think about it people. The Org actually says "independent thinking" is a bad thing.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I think Losch should try that trick with the gun. Maybe he'd manage to remove the part of his brain that makes him such an incorrigible asshole!

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

We call "college" university in the UK.

We also leave school at 16 and have the option to go to a college for free for 2 years. To do a vocational course or A-levels (Academic tests that lead to university).

I think a law is being introduced that will make in mandatory for people to stay in education until there 18 soon.

Generally ive seen countless youths leave school and pioneer. From the ages 15 upwards, i have a few freinds now who struggle to get by who have pioneered for 6-8 years.

At the DC's ive been to, they generally encourage youths to do vocational course.Learn more practical skills so they can be used on the RBC and bethel. Loads just window clean.

A know a large number of brothers & sisters who have been to university. Most do find themselves ostrasizes for it...even though many are MS and pioneers. Generally living on campus is seen as a massive no no. it is generally assumed that "ones" that do this are immoral.

Its a shame, generally a lot university courses are expensive and u dont learn much. Another issues is that most students leave with massive amounts off debt.

That aside it does seem unusaully biased when in being Anti-higher education.

Guess there always promising we will live in a world without doctors!! maybe this is how it happens.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

Oh yeh, I went into higher education after pioneer school. maybe thats wat went wrong!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

In 1980 I graduated high school as an honor student and was offered a full scholarship. I tested high in aptitudes for psychology, law and teaching.

I put 'kingdom interests" first and instead pioneered for 3 years.

Anyone think that was a good decision now? Think I've regretted that decision a few hundred times (especially when bills are due and there's nothing in the bank account).

• Mary
    Mary

Soooo, getting a college/university education is akin to putting a gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger? Good lord, that's the first time I've heard that one. Stupid jerk off.

I guess more and more young ones are not taking the "Slave's" advise----they're saying "screw you, I'm going to university" and of course, "Mother" doesn't like it when you don't take her 'suggestions'.

As for me, I'm working towards my BA and I might even major in Religious Studies.

• Do Not Call
    Do Not Call

I was encouraged by my parents and cong. members to drop out of school and pioneer before even taking basic 'O' levels. (After all, the end was so close!) So I did, and was highly praised by everyone, even on an assembly platform by our CO.
    So I left school in 1985 with no formal qualifications, although I was extremely bright at school and was encouraged by my teachers to sit exams early.
    Since leaving this brainwashing cult, I decided to become a nurse and had to study and sit exams as a busy wife and mother.
    The end STILL hasn't arrived and all that pioneering and avoiding college did me the world of good, didn't it? I'm now an APOSTATE!!!
    It makes me so mad that youngsters are being fed this crap.
    And the suicide illustration!!???!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit