One Sentence

by joannadandy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I look back on all my posts here sometimes (ok not literally - I'm too verbose to look at all of them) and can't believe where I am today. Not that I am sitting on top of the world as the most successful person - but the small victories I have achieved over the past few years really did seem impossible to my pessimistic and damaged little mind when I first started posting here.

When I look back I have a lot of anger in my first posts - and man oh man what a rocky relationship with my parents. In particular with my mother. The condensed version of my story for newbies is I was still living at home when I first came here. I was already not attending meetings, but attending college. My mom and I have always had a troubled relationship. She used to tell me we didn't get along because we were so much alike. At the time all I saw was her being jealous, controlling, and depressed all at the same time. I saw nothing of myself in her and was highly offended.

Fast forward through a few years - me striking out on my own after college, many tears, much growth (on both our parts), letting go of some bitterness and anger (again on both our parts), and finally coming to some mutual respect between us. If I could go back to that person I was when I was first posting here and say, "You know what - someday you are going to appreciate your mother, and actually enjoy spending time with her." I would have burst out laughing. Impossible!

But I do like spending time with my parents. Sure she still knows how to push my buttons - but I am pretty confident I push hers too. However, we choose not to anymore. Maybe we both finally wised up that our goading and spitting was only making ourselves miserable. Or maybe I was finally able to own up to the fact that, like it or not, I am actually a lot like my mom. For good or for bad we are cut from the same flawed fabric. I see her pain and frustration and can now read it into some of the things she said and did to me. While it still stings I have a better understanding now of what motivated her to behave the way she did.

And I forgive her.

Sometimes it frightens me to think that I only have a handful of years left with them. And what a shame that it takes us until adulthood to appreciate our parents as adults -- and not just as parental figures. And yet I feel lucky as hell that I have come to this place of peace with both of them so that I do get to enjoy them for who they are.

My washer and dryer in my rental unit are horrible. I'm still the child at 28 who drags her laundry home to wash it. At home I get free laundry in a machine that won't eat my shirts and will actually dry my comforter - but I also like the excuse to just sit with my parents and chat. Last weekend I took my stuff home to wash. I started my laundry but under estimated the time I'd need to finish, and had plans so I had to leave, but said I would come back in the morning to finish it up. When I called my mom to tell her I was on my way back - she said, "Ok - I just threw the last load in the dryer for you."

"Oh - well thank you -- I didn't expect you to finish it for me."

"Well your father and I are just sitting here so we might as well roll some socks. We're old and bored easily and we love you."

I mistake her comment for a joke. Or do I? It's probably more my nervous off-handed laughter that I use to avoid the issues at hand, like my mother who I've always had a hard time hearing affectionate phrases from, is bubbling out to cover for me.

But I laugh and say in a jokey way to cover myself "Oh yeah - I feel the love."

And deadly seriously she replies with "Good, that's all I've ever wanted."

One sentence. Just one. And it trips me up, chokes me up, and floods me with emotion I don't know quite how to deal with in the span of the two seconds I have in order to form a decent reply, so I simply say, "I do feel loved."

And it's the truth.

Sometimes she really surprises me. With one sentence the dynamic of our current relationship completely changes.

And I believe her.

All the years of hurt and anger – for a brief moment they're stripped away. With one sentence it’s like my very soul melts. For us – one sentence will be enough. It has to be because we’ll never have the perfect mother-daughter relationship where we pour our hearts out to each other. But we will have this. And while one load of laundry and folded shirts can't take away everything we've done to each other over the years, to hear it acknowledged at such an unexpected time touches me deeper and on a level I never thought possible. It's more than just the act, and it's more than just one sentence, but the impact on me is heavy.

I don't really know why I felt compelled to share this here. Maybe just more for myself. The log of my relationship with her that I have posted here would not be complete without this addition. And just maybe I can offer hope to someone who is just leaving and fears never having a relationship with their family again. Or offer a small glimmer to someone who has a strained relationship with someone that it can change. In the magic of time I don't know where or how my relationship changed with my mother - but it has.

And it feels good.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

You rock, JoJo. You're one of the people who inspire me, to be certain.

DD

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

That one sentence choked me up too, and it's not even my story to tell.

How ya doin', JoAnna?

Love,
    Baba

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Back at you WLG...the feeling is mutual.

Baba - I'm really good. In spite of the crazy nature of my life at the moment (just the day to day life stresses that we all get loaded down with), emotionally I am in a really good place, and it makes everything else ok. How about you?

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

That was very touching, you really have a beautiful way of expressing yourself. So heartfelt and loving. Maturity and time are both incredibly healing. I was the crazy JW mom so my daughter and I had major issues. Like your mom I just wanted her to know how much I love her. I feel responsible for her never learning to think for herself.

When I realized I was in a cult I totally broke down realizing how much damage I caused in the name of love and my desire for her to be approved by Jehovah. My daughter, who at one time truly hated me, put her arms around me and said "Mom, you did the best you could with what you had. You really thought you were doing the right thing."

I don't think that I've ever cried so hard in my life.

My daughter and I have become extremely close in the last 8 months. I thank JWD and posters like you for that. I'm glad things are better for you and your mom as well. Don't be surprised if you make even more progress and get even closer. The more you open up, the more she will.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Awake - thanks for posting that. Good to get the perspective from the otherside of this dynamic.

I'm so happy for you that you and your daughter are able to be close.

I think it will take more time for my mom and I - but baby steps. Like I said where we are now is somewhere I never thought possible to even go to -- so it's a work in progress for sure.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Joanna - The blinders came off about the cult and my perspective changed dramatically and quickly. I saw my motherhood for what it really was, not just what I had made myself believe. I went from being an excellent mother to one that was brainwashed and put the cult ahead of the best interests of my child. ************ ********************************************************************************************************* The year and a half before my awakening I attended a lot of counseling with my daughter. Her life pretty much blew up and she was checked into rehab due to alcohol and substance abuse. I could see that a lot of her insecurities and bad choices had to do with how my expectations had contributed to her perception of the world. We became a little closer then but nothing like we are now. I didn't REALLY get it until my eyes were opened about the cult. The guilt over what I did to my kids has been the hardest part of my awakening to deal with. I feel fortunate that they love and forgive me. Forgiving myself is not so easy.**************** *********************************************************************************************************** Point being that as long as your mom is in that evil religion there will still be a bit of a barrier. Know that she loves you and she probably did the best that she could do under the circumstances. It is very difficult not to go a little crazy when your child is making choices that will cause them to "lose their eternal lives." Even seeing you as successful in Satan's world is hard for her to approve of or even allow herself to be proud of. It's a total mind f**k.************************************************************ *********************************************************************************************************** She is lucky, as am I, that she has such a forgiving and loving daughter. Good luck to you. If you ever want to talk to someone who's been on the dark side, pm me and I'll give you my number.

• AuroraB
    AuroraB

I am SO happy for you. Your story give me hope.

:)

• Open mind
    Open mind

A golden moment, beautifully expressed.

Thank you Joanna.

I'm very happy for you.

I've had great moments like that with my DFed brother.

But, most likely, never with my hard-core, elderly, JW parents.

We say the words, but it's all surface. As long as they are hard-core, that's all it can be.

Thanks again for sharing this bit of yourself.

OM

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

feeling choked up over here. we aint exactly mushy people. i think you know how i feel about you and what you just wrote. yeah. that'll do

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit