Any suggestions on the best way to handle tonight?

by myababes 29 Replies latest jw friends

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

NOPE!! NOPE!!! You are hosting a gathering, not a bible study. Entertain your guests, not challenge them. If the topic does arise, say something positive.

"Recently I have come to know Jesus as my personal Saviour". (or something similar) Then move on. IMO a positive spin works better and will not cause friction. Friction will kill the atmosphere and the dinner. I do not believe anyone who makes an effort will deliberately cause a stink. Good luck with it.

• Hermano
    Hermano

I like Worldtraveller's thought. Focus on making your guests comfortable. If they want to discuss religion, so be it, follow Freewilly's advise. Like Oompa and others have said, let the wine flow. Let us know how it turns out.

Not to sound like an activist, but I think this type of scenario is what can make the biggest impact against the WTS. It's friends talking freely which gets people to THINK and go back home and research. IMHO this is much more powerful than any concerted, organized apostate campaign will ever be.

• oompa
    oompa

But you gotta get in "so just what is a generation this week?"................................oompa

• penny2
    penny2

Hope your dinner went well - look forward to hearing the outcome.

penny

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    In my opinion, slipnslidemaster gave great advice. First, work on getting them back into your circle of friends, rebuilding your and their trust, and just enjoying their company. Any convos regarding JW beliefs or policies could possibly push them away. Besides, you seem very excited to be getting together w/ your friends. Enjoy your first meal back together w/ convos of what is going on in your lives and maybe play a game like Pictionary, Bolderdash, Scene It, or even Monopoly. For both your sake and theirs, take your time and get to know them again.

Please call me Slippy and how YOU doin'?

• Open mind
    Open mind

"Recently I have come to know Jesus as my personal Saviour".

I think worldtraveler's been hitting the juice a little bit.

Might as well come out and say "We're fire-breathing apostates firmly in the grip of Satan!"

Everything else Worldtraveler said was fine, IMO.

Get plenty of vino into them, act like you're drinking plenty too, but actually go easy on it.

Have a nice time and try to enjoy the evening.

OM

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Don't even bring it up. You need to be closer to them to bring up stuff like that low-risk. Don't ruin the evening and any other chance you have of seeing them again (if you want to, that is). When you're asked, just say that you're thinking things over and keeping to yourself. Be mysterious if you want to get them curious, but you know how sensitive the aposta-radar is.

• Gregor
    Gregor

It might be too soon to try to get everyone speaking in tongues. I am of the school that believes you should talk about anything and everything EXCEPT the org. until one of them brings it up and then take it nice and slow.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Well hello there, Slippy. I'm good

How did everything go last night?

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Yes, yes. How did everything go?!?!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit