Any suggestions on the best way to handle tonight?

by myababes 29 Replies latest jw friends

• myababes
    myababes

We have not been in the org for over 10 years now but still see the old JW's around and about. One particular couple we used to be fairly friendly with we bumped into the other night as they are doing a course at the college my hubby lectures at.

They were never the strongest of couples but have kept going cos of their family I suppose. He always has a soft spot for my hubby cos even when my hubby was an elder he encouraged him to go to to night school and do a computer course. he had been in a dead end job and hubby had encouraged him to do this as their would be more opportunities for him. He eventually got a good Job in IT cos of it and always puts it down to hubbys advice.

Anyway they are coming for a meal tonight. there is another ex jw couple going to be there who also haven't been going for some time and we all used to be friends together so its lke a catch up I suppose. What I want to know is what is the best approach to take when the inevitable conversation comes re the "truth"? I don't want to come across as apostate as I value my relationship with my family and don't want them reporting back that we have apostate views( not that we have we just hate everything it stands for and the mudane routine you have to live by). But I want to sow the seeds of doubt that there is life outside the JW'S and they are still young enough to do this.

Any suggestions on the subtle way to do this?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

So, who's giving the prayer??

• takethat
  • takethat
    takethat

Hi

Perhaps it might be best to start cautiously, even letting the other couples bring the subject up first then you can guage how their thinking. Or you could just ask them what made them stop going and take your cue from their answer.

I really hope that the conversation develops so you can express yourself freely, even sharing info about the society their not aware of.

Have a great evening and let us know how things went

• mind my own
    mind my own

Well I certainly wouldn't bring it up, wait for them to...make sure they see how happy & carefree you are as we all know how being a JW can be a huge burden. Maybe your actions alone will make them question their own beliefs. Sometimes what you don't say speaks volumes if you know what I mean.

Best of luck to you!

MMO

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I don't think that I would start on the issues at all. Resume your friendship, show them you are "normal" people not mouth breathing "apostates". Figure out a way to make it a great night and encourage them to continue the friendship.

Let them come to you. It has to be slow and subtle. I don't recommend bringing it up at all.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Tell them you will always love them no matter what false religion they belong to!

Outaservice

• Layla33
    Layla33

Start the conversation on a light note and then say, "well how's about that 144,000" and then say, "kind of funny how that has changed, what about three times now".

Then you could say, "well Armaggedon has come and went and we are still here eating dinner". Then say, "can you pass the mash potatoes?"

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

They were never the strongest of couples but have kept going cos of their family I suppose.

If this is the case, then I doubt that you're going to be subjected to any probing questions by them. My suggestion would be to try to win them without a word.

I was talking with AlmostAtheist last night and we agreed that one of the mental obstacles that keeps many JW's from leaving is that they can't envision a life for themselves outside of Watchtower-world. By providing an entertaining, relaxed evening for your friends where the subject of JWism never even comes up (aside from the invevitable chit-chat about who's married to who now, who died recently, etc.) you can go a long way towards dispelling this sort of thinking.

This may be a bit of a highwire act tho. I'd suggest that you not drink too much, if at all ;)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why not get everyone drunk, or high? Kidding. A bit of is known as a social lubricant.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit