Favorite Paul McCartney & Wings / Paul McCartney Solo Songs and Albums

by flipper 67 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
    watson

"Let Me Roll It" is a great "under the radar" song. Great rifts, melody, with a nice rock edge.

• flipper
    flipper

WATSON- I have always liked Let Me Roll It, very much. Great song ! I saw him perform it live ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Flipper,

And to the rest of you thank you for your opinions of one of the most talented musicians ever to perform and write songs. He truly is one of the greatest writers of songs in the last 100 years or so ! Millions of people feel that around the world ! Peace out to all, Mr. Flipper.

I think you are confusing the judgements of popular taste with musical talent. The two are invariably at odds with each other. As an example, Mull Of Kintyre, written by MacCartney and Denny Laine was the biggest selling single of the Seventies. It could hardly have been described as an iconocalstic piece of music, or even an interesting song, yet millions of the public loved it. What does this tell us about millions of the public? The melody by the way was lifted from a traditional song, something MacCartney has done every so often.

MacCartney with Lennon wrote one or two superb melodies and passable lyrics, numerous medium quality pieces better suited to the Boston Pops, and a lot of low end tripe. They 'made' a sound in the 1960's which was new, but traded on that for too long.

MacCartney alone was/is a medium quality songwriter with delusions of grandeur, no doubt perpetuated by past glories. His failures as a writer of light opera for example are legendary. Ecce Cor Meum for example was panned in so many directions one would have thought his ego might have suffered, but no such luck as I hear he has yet another two operas in the frying pan of medicocrity.

HS

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

George Martin helped Paul and John with some amazing arrangements of their music. Good recorded music is rarely the effort of one or two people. With the Beatles, they owed their sound, as it developed, to many people and musicians. I do think their sound and their songs genius though. If you can take more than one of their songs and arrange and produce them and get the results they got, you're not just working with drivel.

You want to hear mostly drivel? Tune into any kid's radio station today and listen to the caca that's being handed to them and they lap it up like it's a fine gourmet meal.

After Ram, I am not much impressed with Mac's music. Occasionly I hear something I like from him. I liked It's Just Another Day. But I am not sure what date that one is.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Flying,

George Martin helped Paul and John with some amazing arrangements of their music. Good recorded music is rarely the effort of one or two people. With the Beatles, they owed their sound, as it developed, to many people and musicians. I do think their sound and their songs genius though. If you can take more than one of their songs and arrange and produce them and get the results they got, you're not just working with drivel.

Yes, George Martin was an excellent arranger. If you get a chance to listen to his 'London By George' from '65, it is worth the listen. It is quite beautiful.

I do not think MacCartney wrote 'drivel', like Avril Lavigne's for example. ;) I just think he is a mediocre musician and songwiter, not bad, but certainly not the genius that the 'millions' think he is - as if they would know. ;) With Lennon he touched a little magic, but that was very quickly dissipated and imo they should have pulled the plug on the Beatles years earlier.

He did write a lot of music suitable for campfire songs though, and I tip my hat to him for that. He has kept many Boy Scouts happy.

I am not impressed by the opinions of the millions, especially those with Hollywood tastes. I watched the French film 'Botherhood of the Wolf' again the other day and remarked to myself how such powerful and stunning cinematography outclassed anything made for popular tastes by Hollywood the past decade, yet the film seems to have passed by the 'millions'.

Popular attachment to a musical star or genre is by no means indicative of quality.

HS

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I agree about Hollywood and most of what they turn out. I couldn't tell you from week to week what new movies are coming out. I loved it when I was a kid and Mom would take us the the fine arts theaters and see art films such as Harold and Maude or Walk About.

With music, I have artists I like that aren't necessarily commercially successful. Then there are those groups that just give guilty pleasure.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Your Mom took you to see "Walkabout"? Wow, strong stuff for a kid. How old were you?

Of course, I got to see Jenny Agutter naked when I was 11 ("Logan's Run"), so I guess that's a rite of passage in the '70's.

• watson
    watson

HS, what kind of music do you like? You have a kind of arrogant tone to your post on this thread, and I am wondering if you study music, or are a trained professional musician. Just curious.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Watson,

You have a kind of arrogant tone to your post on this thread, and I am wondering if you study music, or are a trained professional musician. Just curious.

Yes, on most counts, especially the arrogant tone.

HS, what kind of music do you like?

Everything from Sun Ra to Shirley Bassey, Doris Day to Stockhausen, Charles Azanavour to the Soft Machine. How about yourself? Do you have an arrogant tone? What are you trained in? Do you think Rod Stewart should be sent to Afghanistan in a sequined body-stocking for disembowelling Cole Porter? Hold on, millions of people have bought that crap, it must be good. HS

• watson
    watson

No arrogant tone here HS, maybe I can learn something from you. You seem very sophisticated. Were you ever an elder?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit