The Memorial

by TheDoctor 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I answered based on my wife's feelings. Snakes reminds me about my mother's feelings.
    This will be a test. She will almost certainly ask about our Memorial while on vacation.
    I won't be able to easily duck the question.

Nobody should tell others what to do on this. JW's shouldn't tell faders or DF'ed ones to go.
    We shouldn't tell others that they should or should not go. Many here are barely holding on
    to family who might shun them if they break this final straw. Strength to all of you, regardless
    of your reasons for your decision.

So the moral of the story is, if you honestly and personally do not want to go, you shouldn't go. I
    respect that you want to try to protect your wife from having to go alone, along with the dozens
    of "Where's your husband? Tell him we missed him" kind of guilt questions. But you have to do
    what's right for you as well.

The above comment from exwitless kept me in the "I won't go" category. I will deal with Mom
    somehow.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I'm planning on getting a yeast infection that week. I won't be welcome due to the "leven".

• watson
  • tula
    tula

1 John 2:20-21

But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.

2 Corinthians 3:17

The Lord and the Spirit are one and the same, and the Lord's Spirit sets us free.

The only thing that would get me into a kingdom hall would be a sudden urge to defecate. I'd gladly use their toilets but I wouldn't flush.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is a good reason why so many go. They hawk this as the most important meeting of the whole year. That is because, if they can get everyone in the building that night, the hounders can find you and start beating you up into going all the time. Before you know it, you are back out in field circus full time. And with the crackdowns on missing boasting sessions I have been hearing about, the book study hounders are going to be looking for you to hound you interminably if you miss a subsequent boasting session.

If you are thinking of going to appease anyone, I suggest not going. If you are going to a congregation where your card is not, you are better off staying at home and lying (like you might have lied about your field circus reports). Tell those that might ask that you went to a different congregation, preferably one that they are not familiar with. That way, you don't waste the actual time to go to a real one (and risk getting hounded into going back full time, or even placed in a closed loop where escape could be next to impossible).

No matter how sacred it is, I will not go. In fact, that is precisely why I picked the 2006 Crapmorial to buy my Ouija board. Nothing like desecrating the most "sacred" day of the year with something for Satan in lieu of something for Jehovah. So far, they didn't even have any hint of my Ouija board (however, if they do get me to go to the Crapmorial, I am bringing that thing in in lieu of my Bible and song book. Nothing like bringing in as many demons as I can to prevent people from ever going back to the Kingdumb Hell).

• Open mind
    Open mind

LOL @ Sweetface's "leavening" of the JW lump.

:-)

Second, I think it's a tactical error for serious faders to attend. I define "serious faders" as those who hope to fit into the 3-5 year untouchable category down the line. They need to be seen as no longer identifying themselves as JWs in the local community. Some elders could take memorial attendance as a public admission that the inactive person still considers themselves a JW. If it's interpreted that way, the 3-5 year inactive-person "amnesty clock" gets reset to zero every memorial.

Just my $.02. Who knows? I may be passing the forbidden food & drink myself this year. I'm sure lightning storms will be brewing. Not!

OM

• only me
    only me

Last year was my last Memorial. I only went to make my family happy. I'm glad I went though because the elder that gave the talk brought up the fact that the Israelites set the time of their holy days by the moon. My daughter heard that and whispered that astrology by any other name is still astrology. lol

We're not going this year and I'm hoping that the family already knows we won't be there.

In the short time that I've been lurking here as Only Me. I've gone from being by myself to having my daughter and my niece stop going to meetings. I guess I should change my name. lol

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

For years I went to keep my family happy.

Now that I have been studying the WT thoroughly I am not invited, so I go the the pub with my mates instead.

Cheers

Chris

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Haven't been for the last 4 years I think? Not going back ever. The last time I went some elderette was making fun of the submarines that only come up once a year. Can you feel the love and concern for the inactive ones. Pathetic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit