Favorite books of all time....?

by inkling 29 Replies latest jw friends

• zanex
    zanex

I enjoyed "A wrinlke in time" Madeline E' engle (spelling of authors name might be off on that one but the title of the book is right)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Lovely thread inkling.

Hortensia - Jane Eyre is in my top 5 too. Wuthering Heights is a strong contender too. I think despite everything I am a romantic at heart.

Birdsong by Sebastian Foulks totally blew me away. Its extremely beautifully sexual, but at the same time it's one book that made me see war differently.

John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany is also up there.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

All of Tolkien.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" -Robert Pirsig

"Catcher in the Rye"- JD Salinger

"Classic Motorcycles" -Mark Gardiner A pictorial of old motorcycles

"Cannery Row" -Steinbeck

Robert Jordans "Eye of the World" exhausting but addictive.

"Farenheit 451"

• worf
    worf

Zanex,

Yes! I forgot about that one. "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeline L'Engle. Excellent book.! I read that in elementary school.

Remember: Tesseract! (Or something like that).

Worf

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce

My Name is Asher Lev - Chaim Potok (Every ex-jw should read this book imo)

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien

• Open mind
    Open mind

Here's a couple unlikely (for me) recommendations:

The Stand by Stephen King

(I'm not generally a King fan, but I really liked this & a couple others.)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

(I'm not generally a big Sci-Fi fan, but this was an entertaining, page turner.)

OM

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hard to pick, but here are a few:

Almost anything by Hemmingway... really liked The Sun Also Rises and For Whom the Bell Tolls

Naked Came I by David Weiss... Read it in HS...never forgot it... it's a biography of August Rodin

Prey by Michael Crichton couldn't put it down....

When I'm in the mood for something Inspirational, I love Max Lucado

Coffee

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

and I meant to also include:

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Coffee

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams, perhaps the funniest book ever written

Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres, just amazing, happy, funny, sad, really sad, FAR better than the film

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley, get past the ye olde language and you can see why it is so highly rated, influenced......modern horror

Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice, I love Anne Rice, her style is layered and she researches her material deeply, slightly homoerotic which could put some people off

• Bourne
    Bourne

Read alot of science fiction and fantasy when I was a teenager. In my twenties, I read alot of legal thrillers (Grisham, etc.) and biographies.

Last so many years, I've really been into historical accounts and spy thrillers. I highly recommend the Vince Flynn books for thrillers.

Bourne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit