Science fiction book suggestions...

by zeroday 32 Replies latest jw friends

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

The Conquerers trilogy by Timothy Zahn is also good space opera sci-fi.

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

New Writers

Peter F Hamilton ( these are large books )

Kevin J Anderson (not the dune books) look for the seven suns saga (7 Books)

Old favs

Cliiford Simack

Larry Niven

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Though not science fiction, you will often find Harry Turtledove's alternative history books in the science fiction section of most bookstores. In particular, I like the Time Line-191 series. This takes the Civil War on a unique run with the point of departure from our time line at the losing of Robert E. Lee's General Order No. 191.

The series is as follows:

How Few Remain

The Great War Trilogy:
    American Front
    Walk In Hell
    Breakthroughs

The American Empire Trilogy:
    Blood and Iron
    The Center Cannot Hold
    The Victorious Opposition

The Settling Accounts Tetralogy:
    Return Engagement
    Drive to the East
    The Grapple
    In at the Death

Now in science fiction proper, I would recommend the following:

Nearly anything written by Harry Harrison, my favorite being the To The Stars trilogy. Ray Bradbury's works. Asimov's Robot series. Of course, my all-time favorite, Frank Herbert's Dune.

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

I know this is not what you asked for, but as an alternative to science fiction I'd like to suggest fantasy fiction, particularly anything written by RA Salvatore. More specifically, the Dark Elf Trilogy (and other books that follow) which features his most popular character, perhaps the most popular in the Forgotten Realms setting!
    I was reading these books and stopped when I was assimilated into the bORG. I have some catching up to do, but after I finish CoC!

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Greg Bear is good as is Arthur C Clark, Douglas Adams, Sergey Lukyanenko (he did the Watch series which Nightwatch was based on although that is more fantasy than sci fi but a great read)

Carl Sagan is another good read

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Props for Greg Bear--I loved Darwin's Radio. Also second the suggestion for Harry Turtledove. In addition to his alt-history series (the one that begins with How Few Remain), I like the series that starts with aliens invading during WWII (World War series).

Also, big props for Simon Green. He's really good.

I like classics: A Canticle for Liebowitz; Time After Time.

Jankyn

• yumbby
    yumbby

If you are willing to try a little more on the fantasy side, anything by Roger Zelazney (sp?) ESPECIALLY the Chronicles of Amber.

• Mary
    Mary

Michael Crichton's Timeline was pretty good. A bit dry in spots but overall, was well written. http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/B0009W8L9G/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-0544329-2832712#reader-link

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Harry Harrison's "Bill the Galactic Hero" and "West of Eden" series.

David Brin, though he's a little dry and technical.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Ender's Game

Best SciFi I've read

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit