Science fiction book suggestions...

by zeroday 32 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

I love science fiction books and have run into a dry spell. I have read alot of David Weber but he has been quite slow with new books lately...anyone have any good suggestions for a good read...I need 5 star authors with "blow your socks off" books...any suggestions...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Isaac Asimov. The Robot novels and short stories, the Foundation series and the Galactic Empire novels are all classics.

And for you in particular ZeroDay, knowing how you think a little bit, I think you will enjoy Robert A. Heinlein. Read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". It is a great one. Part scifi and part political manifesto. Loaned it out and the bastard hasn't returned it.

Cheers,

Burn

• oompa
    oompa

Have you read the old stuff? I like most of Kurt Vonneget....Ice Nine is underrated....and of course Heinlin.........oompa

• zeroday
    zeroday
    And for you in particular ZeroDay, knowing how you think a little bit,

Yea I'm a little demented I'll check those out thanks...

• inkling
    inkling

Ok, so if I were to read one Vonnegut, which one should be my first?

[ink]

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".

I just ordered this on Amazon it got great reviews...If anyone has not read David Weber I highly recommend it most of his leading characters are women and he wrote one series (11 books and still continues) on the Honor Harrington character...absolutely brilliant his last book in the series is over 2 years ago and his fans are dying for the next book...also he wrote a 3 volume series on the DAK character called "Empire from the Ashes" I thought he could have carried this series further than 3 books but it was great...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is very very good - I should have put it on the other thread about your favorite book of all time. I have read it many times. I like Heinlein's books for the most part, this is the best one. Although Podkayne of Mars is pretty good too.

• oompa
    oompa

Kurt Vonnegut has many Sci-fi thems, but I always liked Ice Nine...he grades his own work though:

• avishai
    avishai

The Holy Bible!

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I like Stephen Baxter's stuff, in particular his Xelee sequence of books.

Not quite science fiction, but you might like Harry Turtledove's alternate history books. How Few Remain is good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit