Jesus was a false prophet....

by dawg 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dawg
    dawg

Read Strong's third defination... Jesus was telling his apostles "you" then he says "this" generation... if :"you" are in a "generation" that's not going to pass away before some predicted events are to come to pass, then the meanings of the words are clear.... false prophet, plain and simple, he's not telling his diciples this nation won't pass away when he says "you", he's being specific... I'm so sad that words don't have meaning to you that defend Jesus.

Yet once again, we see picking and chosing, the scriptures have to be taken in their entirity, "YOu" in a specific "generation" are not a nation. He was addressing his apostles; I'm familiar that words have different meanings as I've taken a foreign language, but when used in conjunction such as "you" and "this" and "generation" and the "all these things occur"... it becomes plain the meaning. Maybe the words all, and generatuion, and this, if taken by themselves can mean something differenet in a different context, but here Jesus is being specific, and his words have been proven false.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    OTWO, I agree with what you've written, and laugh out loud when I hear people try and describe why Jesus didn't know what he was talking about... stars falling from the sky, all the world seeing him in a cloud. 2,000 years have passed and still no Jesus, even though he plainly says that these events will happen "Immediately" after the destress of those days... the Romans destroyed the temple in 70, if I'm not mistaken. Still no Jesus.

I'm not sure I follow. I certainly think he knew what he was saying.

As for the cloud and stars reference in your comment quoted above, it could well be figurative language, as it occurs regularly in the Bible with reference to a divine judgement. Jesus was using language and references that the Apostles would likely have been familiar with. Here are some refs:

Isaiah 19:1 says "An oracle concerning Egypt: See, the LORD rides on a swift cloud and is coming to Egypt. The idols of Egypt tremble before him, and the hearts of the Egyptians melt within them." Egypt was judged and the sentence was carried about by Assyria, as Isaiah 20 bears out. There is also Nahum 1:3, which was about the destruction of the Assyrian capital of Nineveh: "The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished. His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and clouds are the dust of his feet."We know that Nineveh was sacked by the Babylonian amy under Nabopolassar.

The "stars falling from the sky" reference in Matthew 24 hearkens back to Isaiah 13. Specifically 13:10 which says: "The stars of heaven and their constellations will not show their light. The rising sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light." That chapter is about the destruction of Babylon. Also Isaiah 34:4: "All the stars of the heavens will be dissolved and the sky rolled up like a scroll; all the starry host will fall like withered leaves from the vine, like shriveled figs from the fig tree." Chapter 34 is about a generalized judgement of all the nations. Please also notice that Jesus uses a fig illustration also at Matthew 24:32.

Words never have meaning whenever the Bible is being proved wrong by them, like the word "generation", it can't really mean generation it has to mean something else, like tribe, or group, or something, it can't mean what it means today becasue if it did the Jesus will be proven wrong.

No, it does not mean what it means today because it is a different language, from a different time. It is not simple. We are working with translations and the greek geneas does not map perfectly to the english "generation", looks like geneas had a broader meaning.

When OTWO, posted what he was discovering about the new Gosples and the like, he was doing as we all that seekt he real truth should do, reading with an open mind. Jesus was proven false when he died, he answered the so called question raised in the garden-yet still we suffer.... and his words as written in the BIble are proven false...

Not according to those that recorded the accounts of his resurrection and ascension.

keep making excuses, they don't work as far as I'm concerned.

Then why even have this discussion Dawg? Why start the thread? "Jesus was a false prophet, case closed".

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Yet once again, we see picking and chosing, the scriptures have to be taken in their entirity, "YOu" in a specific "generation" are not a nation. He was addressing his apostles

I am inclined to agree with this.

Burn

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sorry Snow, I wasn't talking about one scripture, I was addressing Matthew 24....

So am I, but you began at verse 33, remember?

What "all things" was Jesus referencing?

Did He mean it - destruction of Jerusalem - was at the doors?

Or, did He mean that He Himself - the Son of Man - was at the doors?

As far as generation goes, my take is that He was referring to His contemporaries.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Especially take a gander at Matt 24: 33-36...

Just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page.

Sylvia

• dawg
    dawg

THank you all for ignoring the above posts where I went into detail as to why Jeusu was referring to the generation he was talking too, I'm done... roger wilco, over and out....

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Jesus is whatever people need him to be. The Jesus figure can't lose. Anything negative will be explained away somehow.

If I had the benefit of two thousand years of revisionist history ahead of me, I'm sure I would turn out to have been pretty great myself eventually.

I watched an interesting documentary about some Muslim girls who had formed an 'all girls club', and they were discussing various things about Islam. Some of the girls elected to wear a hijab and otherwise cover themselves, a couple did not. They were talking about how it was important for a girl to cover everything, and one of the girls who had elected to do so said "Well - some girls choose to bare their arms and ankles etc. in the summer because of the heat - - - - but they know they're going to hell for it, so...!". One of the other girls who chose not to cover at all (well, "normal" clothes of course...) overheard this, sat down and said first of all, it was up to Allah to judge, and secondly, people couldn't follow the Q'uran perfectly anyway, no matter how hard they'd try, because it was perfect.

To which the first girl agreed, and said "Yes, only Muhammad - peace be upon him - would be able to, because he was perfect.".

I found that to be very interesting.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The Jesus figure can't lose

That's because he is the Son of God.

They don't call Him "Touchdown Jesus" for nothing.

• startingover
    startingover

I'm with you Dawg, and the others that pointed out how the rules get changed because Jesus just has to be what they want him to be.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a freakin' moth drawn to a light. I know how these discussions will end, they always end the same. But yet I am drawn to them. Maybe it's because I have a ray of hope someone using mental gymnastics to save their Jesus will figure it out. Trouble is, the ones that do figure it out are the ones in the shadows, and they don't usually post their feelings as it takes a while to digest that you've been scammed, either that or they are embarrassed. Either way, these discussions end without anyone hearing from them. And the meme carries on...

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Thanks, Awakened. "To those with a hammer, all problems appear as nails." And if it's not a nail, we'll make it into a nail. We tend to make logical constructions that match our beliefs.

Hi Dawg: Trying to determine which words in the Bible are supposed to be literal, and which poetic, is so much shifting sand to me - whoever is at the helm and making the interpretation has in essence carte blanche to prove whatever point they would like to. For that reason, I don't think we can rely on the Bible as a tool of prophecy. "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." Okaaaaaaay...you have to do some real mental gymnastics for that to take on literal meaning.

If the destruction of Jeruselem is the event Jesus spoke about, then maybe his prophesy was fulfilled. If "generation" needs to take on a specialized meaning, it could even mean something like the race of man - then the scripture "This generation shall not pass, till...Heaven and earth shall pass away" becomes self-fulfilling - when man is gone, there will be no more men.

You need a secret decoder ring to make anything more out of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit