Multi-tasking? Is it a skill or a disorder?

by Crumpet 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    You can slow your mind down, if you think that it's a worthwhile goal.

How though NVR?!!!! I seem to have two speeds. Very very fast. And comatose!

Homer - it's not really that I have a memory problem, although I can forget complete conversations and I can forget by the end of the movie what the beginning was about it's true, but tasks I have to accomplish in a day - I do remember. I do usually get them done, its just not very orderly and I think I could be getting more done. It's sticking to the task I am on for more than 5 minutes without drifting off. For instance - just in typing this short post, I've gotten up twice to do other things for heaven's sake. I find myself profoundly irritating!!!!!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Best of luck to you, Crumpet.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i think it depends entirely on the importance of the tasks at hand as to whether they can be a less than mindful activity or if they require full attention and concentration

when i am writing a discussion paper for my online courses i dont even answer the phone ( and i am too far away from the answering machine to overhear).... i think if it has a deadline, it is important enough to have undivided attention ......

but when it is carrying on with the mundane and repetitive nature of organizing the basics of family life, multitasking it the key to survival!

• VM44
    VM44

The term "Multi-Tasking" originally applied to how software operated in computers.

Humans are NOT computers!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ask any mother if she can multi-task

baby in one arm, stir the pot on the stove, help the toddler get something from the cupboard AND talk on the phone

We do it all the time

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Multi tasking is necessary in my life. 3 kids, house, husband, etc.

momz

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Multi tasking is necessary in my life. 3 kids, house, husband, etc.

momz

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Multi-tasking just seems to come natural for most women. My husband is always amazed when he stops by my office and I've 5 different things going on at one time all the while talking on the phone to someone else. He just shakes his head. I'm in control though, and know what's going on. Any wife/mother has to learn this ability to survive!!

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I would say it's both. I find it very hard to do just one thing at a time. I get anxious and annoyed.

For instance, right now I'm working on a layout, writing on here and on another board, and thinking about a new campaign we need to work on... Doing just one thing bores the hell out of me.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Apparantly women are "wired" to multi task better than men

Although I would argue that it is because men gets things right the first time ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit