How many JWs do you know that have "Failure to Launch" Syndrome

by BBOARD 32 Replies latest jw friends

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

Tired of the Hypocrisy's post got me thinking ... How many JW "kids" over the age when they should have left home still live with their parents. I say this because I have MANY of those in my congregation. FYI it looks REAL bad to be a older man (ie 25 and up) scrub laying up at home UNLESS you have a outstanding circumstance i.e. medical condition. For most in the US -24- is when parents can no longer claim you as a dependent. 23 is usually the approx. age at the latest when undergrads finish college. What age does the average dub without "ambitiion" leave the nest ... oh wait according to the June 2005 Awake "ambition" in this world is bad. My OWN Aunt told me last week "Moving out from your parents is something that those who want to out into the world do."

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy
    23 is usually the approx. age at the latest when undergrads finish college.

That is no longer true. It sometimes takes longer than 4 to 5 years to get an undergraduate degree anymore for lots of reasons like having to wait to take classes when offered whenever they are not full, not being able to take a full load because of having to work your way through, etc.

There are a lot of young adults in the organization living with parents because the organization stunts their development by not allowing them to become educated so they wont depend upon their parents and organization so much.

LRG

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Its not just a JW phenomenon but the religion does not help any. There was an article in NewsWeek (?) or similiar a few years ago. It stated that there were a few different causes keeping adult children home longer.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I had friends from the West Indies who would never dream of leaving their parents' home until they got married. It's imbued in their culture.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Yeah, i had a Greek friend who couldn't dream of leaving her family's home. she did though... she got an apartment, but guess who owned the place and was only like a block away. So that def. doesn't count imo.

I'm gonna get out soon. Like.... *eats up the food and goes to watch some judge shows* I'm gonna look for a place tomorrow. Geez.

No really. I actually am. shut up!

• Gopher
    Gopher

There is a phenomenon of people living in their twenties delaying the traditional responsibilities of adulthood. These people are called "twixters" (as in "betwixt and between"). It's kind of an extended adolescence.

Here's a Time magazine article from 1/16/2005 about this trend: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1018084,00.html

Parlez-Vous Twixter?

Sunday, Jan. 16, 2005 By DEIRDRE VAN DYK

CANADA

Boomerang kids A growing population of young Canadians are living in their parents' home and delaying starting families of their own. Experts point to a tight job market.

Median age at marriage Men: 28 Women: 26

Average age at birth of first child Women: 27.7

ENGLAND

KIPPERS The acronym stands for kids in parents' pockets eroding retirement savings. Increasing numbers of British twentysomethings are staying with Mum and Dad as a refuge from rising costs.

Median age at marriage Men: 29.7 Women: 27.7

Average age at birth of first child Women: 29.7

FRANCE

Tanguy syndrome The name comes from a 2001 film about a charming 28-year-old who refuses to move out of his parents' apartment despite their comical efforts to get him out. The movie highlighted the trend and sparked debate.

Median age at marriage Men: 29.2 Women: 27.1

Average age at birth of first child Women: 30.4

GERMANY

Nesthocker Literally translates as nest squatter. One researcher says the reluctance of so many Germans to go out on their own could be attributed to the fact that they regard their parents as friends.

Median age at marriage Men: 30.3 Women: 27.1

Average age at birth of first child Women: 29

ITALY

Mammone A description of the young men and women who won't give up Mamma's cooking. The number of them living at home has risen to nearly 50% in the past decade, perhaps the highest rate in Europe.

Average age at marriage Men: 30.5 Women: 27.6

Average age at birth of first child Women: 28.4

JAPAN

Freeter The term, a combination of free and arbeiter, the German word for worker, describes an unmarried young adult who job hops and lives at home. The trend has even been debated in parliament.

Median age at marriage Men: 28 Women: 27

Average age at birth of first child Women: 28.6

--By Deirdre van Dyk, with bureau reports

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I'm gonna look for a place tomorrow. Geez.

No really. I actually am. shut up!

LOL @ Saywhat29

We'll see!

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

My brother is 26 and still living at home. He makes more then enough to live on his own too.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is too common among the witlesses. I have seen more people in their 30s, and up, still living with their parents (and without outstanding disabilities or extreme general economic hardships to warrant it, either). This is probably because they do not have the Number One stimulus for leaving home (going to college).

The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger actually wants it that way. Why? If children grow up and stay at home, there is only one set of bills to be paid. The grown children can now work part time and pioneer where they would otherwise have had to work full time. The parents can also reduce to part time, since the grown children are now going to contribute to the income. This enables everyone to pool their material resources and pioneer. Which is good for the Watchtower Society.

It is also bad for the children. By the time they become 18, children should start having independence. Some might have to stay with parents due to disability. In some cultures, it is accepted because land and housing is scarce, or because it is difficult to travel far away. Some cultures have very strong family ties. And there is the economy. Job loss and difficulty to find work could force grown children to delay moving out, or to move back in with parents. And there is the occasional situation where the parents and children are so close to one another that they work together naturally, and both parties benefit.

But something like 99.9% of all children without outstanding disabilities should prepare to move out soon after they turn 18. College is a great starting point, where they are free from parental influences but still have some care from the institution. Witlesses that obey the ban on college miss out on that. For those that choose not to go to college or do not have that option, they might start saving money with a full time job. Possibly, some of the money they save by living with their parents could go toward taking college courses, or be saved toward full blown college later. And they could learn a useful trade that is going to make them enough money so they can live on their own soon (within about 2-3 years) after beginning. But never should they be urged to stay home to reduce expenses for the gain of someone else, like the Watchtower Society.

• Trevanian
    Trevanian
    But something like 99.9% of all children without outstanding disabilities should prepare to move out soon after they turn 18.

No, I'm afraid that's a cultural thing and not a religious thing.

In many places around the world offspring are expected to stay with their parents.

In some mainstream cultures, sons will marry and bring their wives to live at home with the parents. It's a true balance in the "looking after" dynamic - parents look after their kids, after which the grown kids look after their parents.

So I understand that this forum is mainly the US/UK perspective. But this is just a caution that the US/UK way of life is not necessarily the only "correct" way of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit