Public Talks- What do you think about the changes?

by Connaughty 25 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

LESS time to think about the trash they're talking

HB

• nubileone58
    nubileone58

When did they change that? I have not heard anything about the talks being shorter. I have heard there are two Watchtowers now - one for study articles and one for the public - Deirdre

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome Nubileone58

It has not been too long for both changes. The WT Public and "member's only" change has just been a couple of months. There is only one Awake a month now, too.

We still don't know exactly how they decide who is worthy enough to have the "member's only" edition. I am sure you must be regular, but what about visitors? How regular is regular? Creates an interesting dilemma, surely....

• Pachemu Nyet
    Pachemu Nyet

In my mind, I'm wondering why you or anyone even goes to the meetings any more?

My last meeting was the last half of the memorial, 2002 and I have never gone back and no regrets.

It seems the longer you stay with thier system the harder it is to leave. Like folks that want to quit smoking, you need to go cold turkey. Just get out and never look back.

• lrkr
    lrkr

This change is about more control over speakers. Most of the public talk outlines you cant read outloud and read the important scriptures in 30 minutes. There is no time for additional info, experiences, illustrations, etc. It is just another step in controlling what is said during the meetings. Why didn't they shorten the WT study??? because they don't care about convenience, giving extra time for service, etc- they care about controlling what the public speaker says.

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

I think its interesting but fail to see the purpose other than adding on another layer of that supposed light that keeps getting dimmer - I mean brighter.

• Trevanian
    Trevanian
    There is no time for additional info, experiences, illustrations, etc. It is just another step in controlling what is said during the meetings.

Spot on, lrkr.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

I think that reducing the meeting times is a good step in the right direction. We have 2 Theocratic schools, but there are so many cancelations that in the summer months it is reduced to only one. They would be better off to only have one school in our congregation.

For many years I would sit through a Circuit/Elders meeting where we would discuss why the Bookstudy is weak in attendance. Many times I would bite my lip, and refrain from asking, why is this a national problem as well? If the rest of the country is having a problem with it, then what is the problem? They don't seem to get it.

I know that Heb.10:24,25 is used to justify our meeting attendance. The soc claims that the 1st century christians had the custom of attending their meetings, so we should. But, they only had the practice of attending once a week at the synagogue, not the burden that is imposed on us in this time.

• multifarious
    multifarious

It gets me out of there faster and I am all for that. If they stop the book study that would be sweet too.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I have yet to experience the shorter talk. How do they ram all the crap in 30 minutes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit