Atheists should not be considered as citizens, nor patriots.

by digderidoo 28 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

George Bush Seniors response when journalist Robert Sherman asked whether he recognised the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are athiests, responded," No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." (R.Dawkins, God Delusion p65)

What?????? Is this the general US opinion? I cant believe he would make that statement unless a significant number of the population felt the same.

Following on from this point, a Gallup poll 1999 asked Americans whether they would vote for an otherwise well qualified person to public office who was a woman (95% would), Roman Catholic (94% would), Jew (92% would), black(92% would), Mormon (79% would), homosexual (79% would) or atheist (49% would). (R.Dawkins p26)

Why again???

Paul

• changeling
    changeling

People have a misconception that athiests are amoral, ax- murdering, anarchists. They actualy fear us.

It's called ignorance.

changeling

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Yeah, kill one baby goat and bathe in it's blood and you're branded for life. This country sucks balls sometimes.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It's natural for people to resent their intellectual superiors.

• 5go
    5go

Because we as a country are cultist it goes back to why most of the original population came here in the first place to escape the church.

The southern USA mainly Geogia on the other hand was a penal colony which explains it pretty well too.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Ignorance. If you're atheist you're an egotistical, self-centred, back-stabbing psychopath....

Apparently, you need to believe in a creature that has just those traits to have any decency...

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Aparrently an Islamic terrorist can be a citizen in the US but not an atheist. Makes sense as his friends like Bin Laden are terrorists.

• DJK
    DJK
    No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots.

I wonder what tune he would play if he needed to call up the draft?

• Mincan
    Mincan

Brinjen, lots of atheists on that island over there?

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Brinjen, lots of atheists on that island over there?

Yeah, there's quite a few of us actually... Even some of our Prime Ministers (John Curtin, Gough Whitlam, Bob Hawke, Paul Keating to name a few) have been atheists. We are though, officially a "christian nation"... Funny that, not one of those atheists Prime Ministers removed any rights of the theists...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit