WHY DO PEOPLE JOIN CULTS?

by Maddie 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Great post Maddie. Sounds like an interesting book…

The nicest thing about all of that information is, despite the fact that we were all in it at some point, we must have had something in order to see it for what it is and leave. I agree that cults can prey on the vulnerable and insecurity within people, so therefore it must also be true that people that see through a cult and conscientiously leave it must have an inner strength that is missing from those that keep on believing in it.

Perhaps we are not as weak minded as we thought…

• Maddie
    Maddie

Mr M - I used to think that it was weakness but you are right about having an inner strength. Some of us overcome very traumatic things throughout our lives and manage to overcome them. Thank you.

SSPO - Some of us are idealistic and are drawn to the vision of Utopia the JW's portray. Like you I was shown all the answers to my questions from the NWT bible and didn't check anything out elsewhere and it wasn't so available then either.

Worldly Andre - I can't say for sure why my parents joined, I think that maybe the 70's were just a bit crazy and people either joined Peoples Temple or Watchterror society.

Perhaps it was the 1975 carrot they had dangled in front of them that made their mind up.

Worldtraveller - I was looking for the truth, and all I got was a big steaming pile. Same here, I thought I had found the real thing

Snowbird - I had the same thing during my childhood. I think it gives us a strong desire to search for answers to make the world a better place

Maddie

• Maddie
    Maddie

Outofthebox - I remember hearing about going back at another time and something may have changed to make people listen to the "good news". Little did of the reasons behind it but you are right of course.

Nvrgnbk - Thank you so much for your post. That's the evil of cults like the JW's - they exploit the natural and make it unnatural. I so wish I understood and was aware of all this sooner in my life.

Maddie

• llbh
    llbh
    People don't join cults. Cults recruit people.

I think it is a combination of these, it certainly was for me.

I did not see the wts as a cult when i freely joined

The Internet is a wonderful way of obtaining the information we need to make an informed choice about many things, including our beliefs.. Now we can see the how the wts has been less than honest with us.

Very thoughtful thread Maddie

Thanks David

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My mother made me do it. I couldnt wake up until I was 31.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit