WHY DO PEOPLE JOIN CULTS?

by Maddie 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

I have become aware since being on JWD that many of us who converted to JW's as adults suffer from feelings of guilt and self-recrimination for being so badly deceived. I for one sometimes have the desire to punish myself for becoming a JW, being instrumental in my son being in their clutches, and the pain that is caused by it all.

I have started to read "Releasing The Bonds" by Steven Hassan and I hope and pray that in time I will be more able to help my family leave the JW cult. There is a section in the book about understanding the cult member which I hope will help me to understand myself, as well as my family and hopefully not beat myself up so much in the future. Here is a little of what it says:-

"Most people would like to believe that they are in complete control of their mind at all times. It is easier to assume that reational thinking makes us invulnerable than to admit that we are all susceptible to mind control. But it is precisely this belief in our own vulnerability that allows cults to entrap unsuspecting recruits.

There are three primary reasons why intelligent, educated people with stable backgrounds can be drawn into cults. 1) A pervasive lack of awareness about cults and mind control 2) Many situations make people more vulnerable to recruitment e.g. a person whose parents have separated or divorced will be more likely to listen to a recruiter who describes his group as "one big happy family". Also someone whose marriage or romance has just ended will be more susceptible to come-ons by an attractive person. 3) Other common situational variables are bereavement, illness, loss of job, moving to new location (city, country).

Some people have psychological profiles that make recruitment easier for cults. In general people who have difficulty thinking critically will be easier targets. For example people who think in terms of magical or predestined events will be more easily swayed by a cult leaders' prophecies or events if they apear to be synchronistic. People-pleasers, who seek the approval of their peer group out of insecurity, and people with low self-esteem are vulnerable.

People who engage excessively in hypnosis, meditation, and other activities that can induce an "altered state of consciousness" (television, reading, sports, music, video and computer games) are more susceptible.

People with learning disorders, drug or alcohol problems, unresolved sexual issues, pre-existing phobias, and other unresoved traumatic issues will be easier targets.

Cults seek out vulnerabilities and use them against recruits. People who have not achieved a happy, secure sense of self can be more easily drawn in. On the other hand, cults tend to avoid people who are seriously illor, in some way, physically or mentally challenged. They want people who will be an asset, not a liability.

I hope this will helps other posters who feel bad about becoming part of the JW cult, to know that we were very much victims too.

Maddie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Let's see. I had:
    a pervasive lack of awareness about cults and mind control.
    parents who have divorced and a desire for "one big happy family".
    drug or alcohol problems.
    other unresoved traumatic issues.

Thanks for the post.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Let's see. Ihad:
    a pervasive lack of awareness about cults and mind control.
    parents who have divorced and a desire for "one big happy family".
    drug or alcohol problems.
    other unresoved traumatic issues

OTWO - Thank you for the identification. I can say exactly the same as you except my parents didn't divorce but both died by my 15th Birthday. Plus I had a tendency (still do sometimes) to think in the realms of magical or fantasy. I also am a good candidate for hypnosis!!

Maddie

• Maddie
    Maddie

I can't be the only poster who has felt bad about being deceived by the JW's can I? I'm starting to feel isolated again now

Maddie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Promises Promises
    Knowing You Would Not Keep
    Promises Promises
    Why Do I Believe?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Excellent question Maddie!

I think there are a few reasons but teh ethos is usually because of inner conflicts with theri present life situation being offered an all embracing solution by some detached group!

And when those in your own circle try to force or give you ultimatums about joining such a group, it magnifies the conflict and confusion in the mind of the individual which then helps them commit to a misaligned path for them of least resistance!

Few people close to us are skilled in helping each of us to explore our own feelings and thoughts with complete respect and interest and so rather than offer healthy mind opening and pleasurable choices, they give oppressive alternatives and pathways of further conflict which a person has to break away from and sadly sometimes into mind sucking cults. Sinlilar eeasons why I think some turn to crime or an alternative pathway whether it holds conflict or not - a forced change from an unpleasant present!

The biggest influence is fear of the after life and fear of teh present by forces who you think know more than you do! That's the biggest crock of the lot thatcauses so much turmoil for so many and also has them do things they normally wouldn't consider - way down the road to nowhere!

I think thats a sorta 'do for now' feeling that keeps many in and lets others make all the big life controllong decisions that cause outsiders pain, iwhilst allowing each to be a puppet and do as they're told with excellent manners to kid everyone!

Rule 4 of Satanism goes along these lines - If anyone annoys you feel free to reject them and show no mercy - Probably the most nasty rule in satanism - Now who does that sound like - except they also take all the enjoyment of life away too like some dream snatcher in a tower! No mercy for your place in family or whatever makes you happy!!

• looloo
    looloo

i had divorced parents and low self steem , these lovely people that were so trustworthy seemed the answer to my prayers , its a shame that i met the guy that abused my child there and destroyed my trust forever , wish i had looked into cults and sects before i got involved .

• Maddie
    Maddie

The biggest influence is fear of the after life and fear of teh present by forces who you think know more than you do!

R Crusoe - The JW's is certainly a fear based cult and I became frightened of more and more the longer I was in it; in turn keeping me in it. I think that what made me join the most were the other factors though. I had suffered a disfunctional childhood, lost my parents, felt alone and unhappy in my first marriage. They seemed to offer me all I had lost - a loving family.

Maddie

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Looloo trusting people who do not offer you or your family any respect for their personal feelings and views builds up years of conflict and confusion and a whole castle of mixed belief, emotion and surreality - as you know - which takes all involved along a pathway that was never meant for their soul!

I hope you find one that you align with and that you can look purely to the future like the rising moon and to the past like the fallen leaves o yesteryear and help your loved ones to do the same. Trust will be on it!

Best wishes!

Crusoe!

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Maddie you are right but they are expert at seeking out your hidden fears and promising to cure them but once inside all the fears you entrusted to them are used to enslave your soul and rape your essence from your inner core! It is as if they take them from you, invite you in, magnify them and then hand it back to you for Christmas!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit