If You Were Wrong About The JWs, Maybe Your Current Beliefs Aren't True

by serotonin_wraith 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

If you're here, it's likely you were once fooled by what the JWs believe.

Back then, I expect you thought you were smart. You thought you could tell if you were being lied to. Yet, they got past your mental defenses and sucked you in.

Knowing this, how can you be sure your current religious beliefs are true?

You may say you take it on faith, but isn't that exactly what you did when you were a JW?

This is open to anyone who feels like contributing. I'll give my point of view.

I don't follow any religion and I don't believe in any god. How do I know I'm right to dismiss them so easily? I see no reason at all to believe in a god. I dismiss the god idea the same way I dismiss fairies, monsters and other mythological creatures. I dismiss the god of the Bible the same way Christians dismiss every other god without a second thought. I think I'm being consistent, where others aren't.

I see so many here 'sure' of their beliefs, yet perhaps not remembering their beliefs were once completely wrong.

Fool me once, shame on you. Is this a case of fool me twice...?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I don't have any current "beliefs" so I don't have to worry about it. Realistically, we hold many beliefs about many different things. I believe the sun will rise tomorrow. Can't prove it. The key is not to become attached to our beliefs so that we disregard evidence to the contrary. Focus on our present experience, not on our beliefs.

Cog

• Xena
    Xena

I agree with you. IMO you have to keep an open mind otherwise you can trap yourself right back into another faulty belief or lack of belief system. I just don't have it in me to be dogmatic about much of anything these days because I've been wrong in the past.

• Odrade
    Odrade

LOL@ Xena. Wish I were that laid-back. I can get pretty dogmatic. I think it's one of those genetic character things- I git-it-from-mah-pa. At least now though, I try to allow myself to be persuaded from my entrenched position by a well thought-out argument, logic and fact. :) And I if I do change my mind or beliefs, I don't beat myself up too much over my previously held ideas.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I can use the excuse that i was young, inexperienced, and in a bad family situation when i accepted the religion. My father and a charismatic family were the instruments of my indoctrination. I accepted the religion at the tender age of 12 yrs, without much thought or research. Since then, i have had a lot of time and information to wiegh things out. Especially, the last decade or so, has my research been very in deapth, not just of the wt religion, but of all connecting fields, such as other religions, archeology, bible/jewish history, church history, etc. Also, some spiritual practices have shown some things.

It's always possible that i'm wrong, now. I can always adopt new conclusions when it becomes clear. I would ask them, if that is allowed. They would say yes. Then, i would ask them why i could not change my views on the jw religion, which was basically foisted on me as a child.

S

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I was raised in it (JW), I never had reason to doubt it. It was not something that I actually thought about being true/false until I left home.

Burn

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yeah, but now I won't be penalized when I have to adjust my beliefs to new information. Being a worldling sucks far less than being a jaydub or other cultist, for that reason alone.

gently feral

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I was raised in it too. I blame indoctrination for my belief the JWs were right. Now that I'm older and I can't use that excuse, I do think I'm using my rational mind in dismissing every god available. I've never even considered most of them, only the one of the Bible. It turns out there are thousands more than the one written about in that book. Being in a Christian society isn't enough for me, just like travelling back through time and being a part of Egyptian culture shouldn't influence me to believe in their gods.

• jimbo
    jimbo

Now I have questions that I can't answer, and that is O K. But I no longer have answers that I Can't question.

Ahhhh! What feedom!!!

jimbo

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    I think the thing with ex JWs is that they are 'one bitten, twice shy' as the saying goes.

The realise they were conned, cheated on and ripped off the first time and they sure don't want to be used and abused a second-who would?

Damage has been done but I believe God does exist, the He has an immense heart and that He can fix anything so it is better than new.

Keep searching, look where your heart tells you too. He is here, on this forum so look out for Him! This says it all for me.

Luke 19:10 (New American Standard Bible)
    "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."

All the best,
    Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit