Were Adam and Eve the only humans created?

by heyfea 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This has been discussed many times on this board. In short, the Cain and Abel story did not originally belong to its current setting in Genesis. At some stage it had nothing to do with the beginnings of mankind. Its protagonists were not the first sons of the first human pair, it was understood that there were other people (and peoples) around. The basic story obviously served as a narrative etiology for the semi-nomadic (= wandering) Qenite (= Cainite) tribe whose history is connected with that of Judah. Cf. the story of Lot's daughters which offers a similar etiology for other neighbouring peoples (Moabites and Ammonites), and in its present "Biblical" setting raises a symmetrical problem (the text presupposes a universal destruction like the Flood, "there's no man left on earth," yet in the Genesis context the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is only local).

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I think we are all conveniently ignoring what Seeker4 said:

There are sophisticated cave paintings in Europe that are 24,000 years old, dated by several different techniques that verify one another. According to the Bible, the WTS says, Adam and Eve were "created" only 6,033 years ago, when in actuality science shows that there were all sorts of people living all over the globe at that time. Science has proven that humans have been on Earth hundreds of thousands of years.

Trying to make sense of Genesis is doomed to failure, especially if you take it literally.

It is tough to argue against his reasoning.

A common JW trait, I have found, is to dismiss evidence that completely negates the point you are trying to make, simply because it completely negates the point you are trying to make.

It is like the brain somehow decides that it is impossible for you to be wrong, so anything that clearly proves you are wrong, must be summarily dismissed.

I find this fascinating.

The Oracle

• heyfea
    heyfea

I really appreciate your comments.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Trying to pull rational reasoning out of imaginative myth is like trying to pull a elephant through the eye of a needle

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I find it truly amazing that when people read the bible and totally disregard the human ignorance factor when consuming its words

To be both honest and realistic one has to consider when and where in human history those words were spoken and perhaps written

Mankind has come along way from those times and we are much better off to follow modern intellectual understating of are history and the world we live in.

It is the correct path to take and it is also the most honest and beneficial for humanities sake.

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

I don't see any real significance in Eve saying that Seth was born in place of Able. She obviously missed Able, just as any parent would miss any of their children who had died. If you had 2 or 200 children, one of them died, and another of the same gender was born shortly after, would it be unreasonable to feel like the newborn was filling the void left by the deceased one? To me, Eve's statement neither proves that she had no other children between Able and Seth, nor does it prove that Seth was "special" in some way.

• willyloman
    willyloman

What oracle said.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Gen. 5;4 After Seth was born and after Cain murdered his brother and left to build

the city of Nod, Adam had daughters. Gen.4. Is the teaching in JW world today, Cain married his sister?????

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    It's a primitive creation myth. Best not to overthink it.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

I had a discussion with someone, and using their bible shows how crazy that

story in their bible. Just to get them to think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit