I Can Dream (Dr. Martin Luther King Day)

by XOCO 20 Replies latest social current

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Thanks Snowbird and BFD these are really good sites you'll be surpised at some of the stuff that has been left out in the history books in pertiang to slavery/civil rights.

Yes, ma'am. In Wilcox County Alabama, a steamer, The Orline St. John, caught fire and sank in the Alabama River on March 4, 1850.

A slave named Abram from the Gee's Bend plantation swam out into the river and saved many a passenger from certain death. This is right across the river from where I grew up.

Since a Mark Pettway had bought the plantation from the Gees in 1845-46, the slave's last name was perhaps Pettway. Were we told about that in our little two-room school? Of course not!

Mr. William James Edwards walked!!! from Tuskegee Institute in 1893 to found the Snow Hill Institute in order to educate the many Black children of Wilcox County who were not able to attend school because of not having the money for tuition at the only school for Blacks in the county.

My mother and father only reached the 3rd and 5th grade respectively because their families couldn't afford the tuition. Were we told about Mr. Edwards and his accomplishments in our little two-room school? You got it.

So, yes, there are many untold stories and many unsung heroes. I'm on a quest to find those ones.

Peace to you.

Sylvia

• shopaholic
  • XOCO
    XOCO

Mr. William James Edwards walked!!! from Tuskegee Institute in 1893 to found the Snow Hill Institute in order to educate the many Black children of Wilcox County who were not able to attend school because of not having the money for tuition at the only school for Blacks in the county.

My mother and father only reached the 3rd and 5th grade respectively because their families couldn't afford the tuition. Were we told about Mr. Edwards and his accomplishments in our little two-room school? You got it.

Wow i can believe that ur parents have complete elementary edu b/c ur grandparents couldn't afford 2 pay 4 skoolin'. i think that Blacks/Africans-Americans in the borg don't see this as a set back to us the b/c they indoctrinate their kids 2 put jah 1st and the rest will come but 2 also do full-time pioneering. So are the black dubs are going to get ahead and have a piece of the pie. and i know this 1st hand b/c my parents are from a 3rd world county and when they came here (US) my father had in mind 4 me and my sis to persue higher edu he did not want me to wk in a crap job like him and my mom. b/c also in their home county the edu is good but not everyone can afford it (3rd world country)... especially now a days the employers are aking canidates that have more than a H.S. diploma (more meat on the bones i guess)

• XOCO
    XOCO

I found some cool tags of MLK on myspace http://juppindesignz.com/Home.htm and click on holiday tags and then MLK. Enjoy XOCO

• XOCO
    XOCO

I don't know if a lot of ppl watch the Oprah's Dr. Martin Luther King Jr day special but i think she really did a good segment on it i was overcome with tears

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200801/tows_past_20080121.jhtml?promocode=CNNmlkDL

XOCO

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Dr. King is one of my heroes. Especially after coming out of the cult. I remember the exact bible study when we were "taught" that he was an agent of satan the devil. It's so vivid in my mind. All three of us, the three hebrews they called us, all from the same army unit and about the same age, we're sitting in brother Acosta's living room and we came to the "not all religion is good" chapter in the live forever book.

It was quite a shock to learn that Dr. King, Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and the rest were all simply tools of satan.

If anyone wants to claim that the watchtower is not a destructive cult, this very teaching alone proves them wrong.

I salute you Dr. King and the courageous stand you took and the ultimate price you paid to make things better for people, most of whom you never knew.

• XOCO
    XOCO

Dr. King is one of my heroes. Especially after coming out of the cult. I remember the exact bible study when we were "taught" that he was an agent of satan the devil. It's so vivid in my mind. All three of us, the three hebrews they called us, all from the same army unit and about the same age, we're sitting in brother Acosta's living room and we came to the "not all religion is good" chapter in the live forever book.

It was quite a shock to learn that Dr. King, Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and the rest were all simply tools of satan.

If anyone wants to claim that the watchtower is not a destructive cult, this very teaching alone proves them wrong.

I salute you Dr. King and the courageous stand you took and the ultimate price you paid to make things better for people, most of whom you never knew.

*Applause and toss roses at AB*

XOCO

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

*Applause and toss roses at AB*

XOCO

Shucks ma'am, you're going to make me blush and turn all blue...

• Layla33
    Layla33

Big props to this thread. I have always admired and respected Dr. King.

I admire any man or woman that challenges the laws of acceptability and forces people to consider humanity on a whole.

He changed the very fabric of the US and the ripple affects were felt through out the world.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.

Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.alt

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. alt

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. alt

When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit