Where is God when it hurts?

by theistichedonist 34 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

theistichedonist:

Welcome to the board! Took me a few minutes to find the implied space in your username. I thought you were some sort of fish doctor!

1. How, in an atheistic worldview does a person who persists in abuse (particularly religious abuse), mind-control, evil, etc... get repaid for the evil that they have sown?

Retribution should not be the purpose of punishment. However, it does seem to be in our nature to desire revenge. This probably evolved as a deterrent against harming others. Knowing that people are likely to pursue a rapist or murderer far beyond what is rational would make someone think twice before commiting such an act.

One of the odd features of this life (if indeed our three-score-and-ten is all that there is), is that we as people have the frightening capacity to sow more evil than our physical bodies can possibly pay for. There was a man just a short distance from where I live who raped and beheaded a teenage girl . When I think of the evil that he has done to this girl, her family and his culture, my mind scrambles trying to discover a fitting physical punishment that would be appropriate to met out to this guy. Old Sparky would be far too kind. (BTW, I get tired of hearing about how these guys get 20-years)

Perhaps this is why people invented religion. Some crimes are too heinous to make retribution possible. I can kill two people but can myself only be killed once. But if there were some great eternal judge who could extend my punishment beyond death, then "justice" in the primitive "eye-for-an-eye" form could still be served. Again, this serves as a deterrent for those who believe.

If you have journeyed towards atheism as a result of religious abuse, do you sense that atheism satisfies an innate cry for the satisfaction of justice in the face of the evil you or others have experienced?

I became an atheist because I found no reason to believe in gods, not because any of the abuses perpetrated by religion; but, no, it's not satisfying to know that somebody can live an evil life and escape punishment. For enlightened people, however, the purpose of punishment is deterrence and prevention. Our lust for revenge is an instinct we should strive to overcome.

• changeling
    changeling

I don't think that wanting wrongs to be avenged is a good enough reason to believe in god.

Sometimes you have to wrap your brain around the fact that "shit happens".

Sure, seeing "bad guys" get their just desserts can be very satisfying, but dreams don't always come true.

changeling

• TopHat
    TopHat

God has left the world for the manipulation of Satan...Doesn't it say that in Revelation. We are being punished for the sin of Adam and Eve.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

(marking for later)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

When it hurts, look at the pain and soothe it, take care of it, talk to it, embrace it.

It will shrink and wither when you attend to it.

Ignore it and it will eventually consume you and those in your circle.

Where is God?

Great question.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Where is God when it doesn't hurt?

Just asking.

Sylvia

• PEC
    PEC

The critical thinking skills gained by and after leaving the cult, allow us to see that science is correct and fairytale stories written my men are not.

Philip

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    I have just been reading this-think it explains some question in this thread.

2 Peter 3:8-10 (New International Version)

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

The key here is not the "destroyed by fire" (which is not a reference to Armageddon BTW) but "laid bare" i.e. everything will be seen for what it is

John 3:20
    Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

Psalm 37 explain some of the same and more

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=23&chapter=37&version=31

All the best,
    Stephen

• Gopher
    Gopher
    2 Peter 3:8-10 (New International Version)

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

So, in other words, God HAS the power to do something about all the evil and suffering, but isn't acting now. He has allowed suffering for many generations, why? And he will continue until perhaps many more generations pass, and we're supposed to be happy about it?

Well, I guess he's God Almighty, and he can run things any way he wants to.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Chalam

Can you put that in your own words. The bible has been enterpreted ad nauseum and used for all kinds of crap. Your words, please.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit