10 000 steps a day CRAP.

by hamsterbait 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Mincan
    Mincan
    walking/running sucks!

I disagree, I love a lot of aerobic activities, cycling chief among them. Century rides in the spring/summer/autumn not uncommon for me.

Walking is a great way to get away from yourself in the winter when its cold and you have suicidal thoughts.

Running is extremely fun when you are in shape for it! It's empowering and endorphin flooding!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I spend an hour a day in the gym lifting one day aerobics the next. At 55 years old, I just maintain.

I think if I wanted to loose weight I would have to spend 2 hours a day and really watch my calories.

I'm 5'10 I weigh 190. I guess I do what I do because if I dont I would way 220 - 250 lbs.

If I want to weigh what the health books say I should 170. I'm pretty sure it would take at least 2 hours a day and no beer for about 3 to 6 months. And 1700 calories a day fro that time period. Which is hard to do if you are used to eating out.

I did start counting my calories today, I write everything down, after the thanksgivng X-mass hollidays.

I'm also trying to watch my salt intake. Some times I get depressed because all I do is eat sleep and work. And if I try to eat healthy it can easily take an hour or more to prepare or plan healthy foods.

I dont know if I'll ever get it down.

When I get the calories right, the sodium is to high.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

The best part about exercise (just getting back into it myself) is that the more you do it, the more you love it. Seriously. So you hate it now. But it's addicting in so many ways. Push through your hatred of it and give it a go, and you will love it soon enough.

For the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to my workout when I get home. I couldn't be happier! You can do it, hamsterbait, we can help!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    The best part about exercise (just getting back into it myself) is that the more you do it, the more you love it

Not me. It's a necessity but I can't say as I really like to exercise in a formal way. A nice walk is good, a little cross country skiing followed by some hot chocolate and biscuits - that's all good - floating around in a pool followed by a good BBQ is all good. Hmmmm I really have to work on that food/exercise link...sammieswife.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Forget the steps. That is just more misinformation from the government that is designed to keep us sick. Instead, I recommend walking one hour a day (true, it is going to be hard to find the time for this). Walking a whole hour a day at a reasonably brisk pace will help you lose weight. If you are in very poor shape to begin with, an hour at a very slow pace will do (or start with 15 minutes, or less, and work up to a full hour). A person in very good shape should be walking fairly briskly.

I have found that, if I walk at least 6 miles a day, that it is extremely difficult for me to get or stay fat. The only way to stay fat for any length of time doing this is to be very fat before starting and work down to just "fat" (and ultimately to normal), or to eat like a pig all day. Once I became a witless, I had to stop walking 6 miles a day to make time for field circus (I used that trick to lose the Freshman 4X15 I gained before the end of my sophomore year). That is when the weight came back; as long as I was able to walk 6 miles a day every day, the weight would not come back.

Having a sensible diet also helps. But, if you add walking to the diet you already have, the weight is likely to come off as long as you keep up the walking. No, I do not recommend a treadmill since they break, do not give you the scenery that real walking does, and they put carbon dioxide in the air. Real walking is by far the best exercise you can do.

One caution: Do not count as exercise time what you do in field circus, unless you otherwise get no exercise. You are spending more time strolling and standing at the door than walking (or warming up in the car); the calories from one coffee break will more than undo the "exercise" you get. Instead, walk at a brisk pace past the doors without stopping to knock. That way, the weight will slowly come off, and it will stay off as long as you continue walking.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

i read some stuff a while back...

Up into the early 50's most westem people (USA , Canada) did enough work in chores, that their output would equal taking a 2 mile walk...daily. People pushed lawnmowers, swept, mopped, raked, hauled wood or coal, hung laundry on the line. And that was for folks living in town. If you lived on a farm or ranch you did even more work.

People walked and if they drove..cars were a lot more work to drive and poorly heated and never cooled.

People stayed lean... of course they wore out their joints and had health issues. We still do.

Calories burned must be more the calories ingested to loose weight

~Hill

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Hamsterbait,

Don't despair! If you have access to a fitness club or gym, this goal will be much easier to reach than you may think: Only yesterday, I enjoyed (!) a moderately paced 25-minute session (a 20-minute program + five minutes cool-down time) on a piece of equipment called a "cross-trainer"/"cross-walk trainer" and reached ca. 3600 steps in that time. That was an easy-going exercise (at an incline) wherein I averaged 127 steps per minute... whilst reading.

Easy-peasy!

-V

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit