50th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday" -- WHAT???

by Marvin Shilmer 30 Replies latest jw friends

• mann377
    mann377

I find this discussion interesting. The one fact that most people miss when talking about other groups is it is not about race but about culture. It is a cultural thing and not a race thing. The news papers don't want you to know this. They like the WTBS only tell you what they want you to know.

As far as the cultural thing what is interesting is how the blacks want inclusion into the white culture yet want an exclusion for them to have a separate standard that is accepted by all. What has been mentioned here is an example of this. Add to the fact that they have BET, NAACP, Affirmative Action to set aside jobs/education just for them yet scream when they are excluded from anything. This actually works against them (their culture) in the long run. An example is the education. It has been 50-40 years since integration of the schools, yet the drop out rate and standard is worse than when schools were segregated. True it has helped a few and I am glad of it but the big picture is that the programs designed for them have hurt and polarized them from other groups (white, Asian etc). Why would you want to polarize yourself from the people you want to have inclusion to?

One other thing that I can not figure out is if you call a black person COLORED they get mad, yet they are proud of being a member of the NAAC(colored)P???????

• Slave4_38y
    Slave4_38y
    pbrow, I could not agree with you more. Ms Theron is a fine specimen!
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

It's only "racism" when it's promoted by the dominant majority. Or didn't you get the memo? Turn it around and it will be called "empowerment" of minorities [previously oppressed or whatnot]. What most people don't get - it's UNFAIR, and it's the seed of a new fashion of racism. Because racism and segregation - promoted by a minority or a majority, it's still RACISM and SEGREGATION. Better call a spade a spade. If the Rwanda (and Burundi) history since the Belgians left the territory serves as a lesson, remember that Tutsis and Hutus took turns in mass-murdering each other since 1959, all based in racial-ethnical discrimination, which shifted as the minority became power or the majority took over power. Racism and segregation are still racism and segregation, even when they are promoted by the less favored minority - because it fuels the future aspiration that, once the minority is able to grab the power, they will have their revenge.

Eden

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Schools are nearly as segregated now as they were before "desegregation." Not by force of law, but de facto segregation anyhow.

Whites just vote with their feet and move to "better" areas leaving minorities behind.

• Giordano
    Giordano

In the USA the U.S. Department of Education calls predominately black colleges and universities HBCUs that stands for 'historically BLACK colleges and universities' . There are some great schools in the list of HBCU and most if not all were started during the Jim Crow era......... out of necessity.

The Pew religious survey lists traditional Black Churches as a category.

The Miss Black America was originally a local Philadelphia area contest it started in 1968 to protest the lack of black women in the Miss America pageant. That pageant started in 1921. It took until 1983 for a black women to become Miss America since then a total of 8 black women have won the crown. It's value for black women is that it strengthens their ability to compete in integrated pageants.

There are a couple of Asian American Beauty Pageants.

And one Japanese Beauty Pageant. Which calls for a skill set including being able to "walk Japanese" in a kimono.

We also had the Negro Baseball League which if it had survived much past 1945 would probably be called the Black Baseball League. Eventually Racial divides will go the way of that old Negro Baseball League. The funny thing though that League turned out great players able to hold their own in the mostly white baseball league for years.

In Congress we also have the Congressional Black Caucus as well as a foundation called the Congressional White Caucus.

Race is still a problem in our country so I am for anything that promotes self respect, education, sports and civil rights.

I think baseball was a great example of when you no longer think in terms of black and white but in terms of excellence.

1. Marvin Shilmer
      Marvin Shilmer

A person does not have to be black to attend a historically black college or university. Same with black churches, and the Negro Baseball League too for that matter. Hence I don't know how any of these add to the subject.

"It took until 1983 for a black women to become Miss America since then a total of 8 black women have won the crown."

How many years will it take before a white women can win the Ms. Black US pageant?

"There are a couple of Asian American Beauty Pageants."

I can understand that, and I could understand a Ms. African American pageant too. Neither of those is (or would be) based on the color of a person's skin.

"In Congress we also have the Congressional Black Caucus as well as a foundation called the Congressional White Caucus."

I find the idea of a Congressional [name a Color] Caucus very offensive, not to mention counterproductive. In response to request by a non-black member of congress to be a member of the Congressional Black Caucus a CBC member reportedly said, "Primarily, we are concerned with the needs and concerns of the black population, and we will not allow white America to infringe on those objectives."

That's not the dream, either. An important part of the dream is, "The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone."

2. Giordano
      Giordano

What I wrote is an opinion based on the names Black culture feels comfortable with and their reasons and circumstances for groups that self identify with their culture. When they have no need to stress who they are we will be in a better place.......... until then we can respect the great things black culture has accomplished. And we can lament the problems.

3. Marvin Shilmer
      Marvin Shilmer

"What I wrote is an opinion based on the names Black culture feels comfortable with and their reasons and circumstances for groups that self identify with their culture. When they have no need to stress who they are we will be in a better place.......... until then we can respect the great things black culture has accomplished. And we can lament the problems."

I appreciate and much respect your contribution to the discussion. That said, it's not the name or names used in this instance that I find counterproductive. It's the use of skin color. A nation that would not judge by the color of skin but by the content of character is not a nation that would have a Miss [name a color of skin] character contest. If we want society to experience the dream it has to be brought to reality. We cannot walk alone.

4. Simon
      Simon

Kind of slightly off topic but there seems to be so many people so eager to take offence and wilfully blind to what people actually say. Benedict Cumberbatch was recently castigated for using the term "coloured" to refer to black actors despite him actually speaking out against discrimination against them.

The irony is that the NAACP is called the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Huh?

5. ShirleyW
      ShirleyW

Marvin, what exactly happened to you within the last few days to start this topic? Were you cut off in traffic or mugged or something (no need to mention the ethnicity if what I wrote did, in fact happen). Just wondering what makes you start such a thread.

But generally speaking I've noticed as I mentioned in my first post on this thread that when somebody posts somebody about the race, it goes on for 20 or more pages.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit