50th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday" -- WHAT???

by Marvin Shilmer 30 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Marvin, I think you are taking the MLK quote a little too literally.

It's a general quote about blacks having a lesser place at the American table of opportunity.

Why would you have a white pageant? White standards of beauty are already considered the standard.

A black pageant celebrates the acceptance of black beauty standards as beautiful as well.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    "...had there been a miss white whatever in attendance everybody would have been up in arms."
    My best guess is that is what would have happened.
    "Maybe a better question Marvin Shilmer, is, why do you care?"
    I care about the dream.
    "Marvin, I think you are taking the MLK quote a little too literally."
    Too literally? A character contest labeled Ms. [name a color] is essentially a sign that says "For [name a color] only," which is a notion contrary to the dream.
    "Why would you have a white pageant? White standards of beauty are already considered the standard. A black pageant celebrates the acceptance of black beauty standards as beautiful as well."
    I can't think of any more or less reason to have a white character contest than a black character contest. Honestly I can't think of any reason to have a character contest designate for [name a color].

• pbrow
    pbrow

I think the African-American female form is beautiful!!!!

Image result for is charlize theron a us citizen

Wait.... is this off topic??

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Totally agree with MS on this one.

If I was to ask Miss Black U.S., Miss Black Georgia and Miss Black Teen Who was killed on this historic day? Name them? Their skin colour?

I'm pretty sure I would hear " Whilst I don't know their names, these 3 Black Americans took the stand......."

Wrong... What your pathetic President Obama didn't recognise during his publicity oriented walk across the bridge was that the majority of the protesters killed were white..... But, don't let that get the way in of a good feel news story....

• Simon
    Simon

It seems like obvious discrimination whenever there is any competition / award / youth center for certain colors / races only.

Certainly, there would be outrage if anyone suggested a White-only pageant or music awards show.

The counter argument is that it gives minorities a chance to win but it seems more designed to guarantee a minority winner as the "everyone included" competitions are certainly capable of selecting a black winner.

I think the only fact that makes it remotely acceptable is that it's a minority group. I personally think it is negative because it just reinforced differences and promotes that idea that skin-color-based discrimination is acceptable.

I presume there are people who aren't considered valid applicants for not being "black enough"? How exactly do they decide and enforce the rules without being unfair to people who are not 100% eye-blinding white?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Simon: I think the only fact that makes it remotely acceptable is that it's a minority group.

That is exactly why groups of people marginalized have separate competitions. It is because the white majority (by majority - I mean the majority of power) take up too much space and are based on white-privilege standards. The separate competitions are designed to allow space for those who are discriminated against in the general population.

I personally think it is negative because it just reinforced differences and promotes that idea that skin-color-based discrimination is acceptable.

That idea, "that skin-based discrimination is acceptable", is already prevalent in the population at large. If that idea wasn't already there, these "skin-based" competitions wouldn't be necessary.

*And about the use of the term "Bloody Sunday" - I was somewhat confused - I thought this thread was about events 110 years ago in 1905 - I didn't know that "Bloody Sunday" was being appropriated by the black population. I guess I can learn something new every day.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

A blacks only water fountain is a little bit different than a black beauty pageant.

There is a place for formerly (still) opressed groups to come together with their unique heritage and point of view. Like:

historically black universities

black labor unions

black barber shops, etc.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

I understand your point Marvin. Some things are racially inflamed on television for ratings while other seemingly normal everyday things are ignored. Let's say for example a black cop shoots and kills an unarmed black male/female. This would certainly not make any waves and not enough to fan the race flames. No coverage, not significant enough for ratings. Let's say a black cop shoots unarmed white male/female. No coverage, not significant enough for ratings. How about a black cop shooting a latino, middle eastern, or asian male/female? Still not enough to fan the racial flames and get some good ratings. CNN anchors/producers brainstorming: "I mean come'on it's minorities shooting minorities, we need some good events worthy of news, something that can truly captivate the audiences and get those emotions involved!". Then we have a white person killing any of the aforementioned minorities but especially a black person. Oh boy, out comes the mainstream media screaming racism, fanning the race flames. The mainstream media does not care about a white cop shooting a black unarmed person. It's about causing instability and garnering ratings. I mean seriously, blacks have as much right as any white person in America. Sure there are still pockets of racism today but those conditions exist for all other minorities as well. The day where authorities had the right to discriminate against blacks are dead. I also admit there are those black hoodrats that seem to think that everything the white man does is to keep them oppressed. But these are in the minority as most blacks are good law abiding folks who love America. It's the maggots like Sharpton, MSNBC, CNN, and other guilty parties that wish to continue spreading the message of oppression when its all but disappeared.

Those are my three cents :-)

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Tenacious, you certainly are very optimistic about how far America has come regarding black disadvantage.
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

I just looked at the picture. I'm just shocked those 3 girls can be Miss ...anything. I see much hotter black women on my way to work.

There is a place for formerly (still) opressed groups to come together with their unique heritage and point of view.

It's wrong. If people continue to segment themselves, then real integration will never happen. Celebrating your heritage doesn't have to be surrounded by a fence of exclusivity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit