50th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday" -- WHAT???

by Marvin Shilmer 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Take a look at the linked AP photograph and tell me what you think:

- Miss Black U.S., Miss Black Georgia and Miss Black Teen

What would the likes of Al Sharpton say if the hallowed event this weekend at the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama had been attended by a Miss White U.S., Miss White Georgia and Miss White Teen?

For the life of me I don't get it.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    You don't get that this anniversary has more significance to black Americans?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

You don't get that this anniversary has more significance to black Americans?

I get that the event has great significance to black Americans. The event should have significance for all Americans.

What I don't get is how a Ms. Black [name your pageant] helps the dream. Should the dream include a Ms. White [name your pageant]?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Why would a Ms. White anything be relevant?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"Why would a Ms. White anything be relevant?"

Someone somewhere once said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Sounds like you're fishing for another one of those threads about race that goes on for 20 plus pages.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Look, I don't get the whole pageant thing, but apparently it's popular in the south. So, I understand that black Americans would see the anniversary as significant in the struggle to have themselves acknowledged as equal to everyone else and would want to celebrate black beauty at that time and place.

I'm not really sure how the MLK quote above is relevant to a beauty pageant. I think he was talking about in American life in general where black has historically been judged as "less than." So, a black beauty pageant would represent progress. White beauty standards have always been considered beautiful. Black, not so much.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"I'm not really sure how the MLK quote above is relevant to a beauty pageant."

A nation that would not judge by the color of skin but by the content of character is not a nation that would have a Miss [name a color of skin] character contest.

"Sounds like you're fishing for ..."

The only thing I'm fishing for is responsible dialogue.

• milola
    milola
    I completely understand what MS is saying. I too have never understood why Miss America Miss Universe or miss whatever has a wide array of colors yet there is actually segregated miss black whatever pagents. So apparently the miss black whatevers attended this celebration and yet had there been a miss white whatever in attendance everybody would have been up in arms. I really don't get why it just can't simply be Miss Whatever and leave it at that. Beautiful black women have reigned queen often enough to know that beauty has nothing to do with color.
  • Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Maybe a better question Marvin Shilmer, is, why do you care?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit