Death is a Terrible thing...

by KW13 38 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

Has it sunk in for you people that your going to die yet? I'm still avoiding the thought but it lurks in the back of my mind, i'm aware someday i've got to address it - like many here i didnt expect to live this far in this system, so i haven't any plan for life as of yet.

Death frightens me. I cannot sometimes watch a film with death of a character in a tragic way - there one moment with family/friends and a life and then not...i read the story about challenger the rocket that exploded and how the crew onboard that shuttle may well of been aware they were going to die. I hope to God i go quietely and asleep when i do.

• changeling
    changeling

Yes it is, but a life not lived is even worse.

We are all going to die someday, so let's make each and every moment count.

Concentrate on life not death. Learn something everyday. Do something nice for someone else every day. Do something nice for you everyday.

changeling

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

I feel sorry for you. I had the some sort of trouble when I began recovering from the JW. When I was a child, I never thought I could die someday. In fact, the years 2000 and beyond seemed so far away for me that, I thought Armageddon would come long before that time but, in the meantime I was always feeling that Jehovah would not accept me. Always this feeling that I wasn't good enough. When you realize that everyone must die, you have to accept the absurdity of life. In fact, I think life by itself, is meaningless, you and only you can decide to give it a meaning.

• KW13
    KW13

I just hope i can honestly take those words in, they aren't cliche and you have a really good heart but i need to really take that on board and live by it, maybe it takes longer than i thought to get over the brainwashing. I sometimes believe i am free and other days i have a sad reminder, like i was talking at a house group meeting with some church people and in my comment i slipped up and said stake not cross. they understood but i felt like i was defeated, ruined my night completely.

nicolas, sorry just added this for you...wasn't being rude i missed ya post

I am glad to hear you've been there because it sounds less impossible to imagine being on the otherside of this. Some manage to leave without problems, it does seem however the children/teens of a certain age suffer as bad as the grown men and women if not worse. Thanks for being open with me.

• changeling
    changeling
    i slipped up and said stake not cross

So what??? It's just a word. Quit beating yourself up over every little thing, it's just not worth it!

changeling

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I think of death many times, but I believe in God, Jesus and the resurrection. Death itself doesn’t scare me as much as dying, I hope I go quickly and as painlessly as possible. And I hope I leave those living that I am responsible for in a good state.

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Yes it is, but a life not lived is even worse.

We are all going to die someday, so let's make each and every moment count.

Concentrate on life not death. Learn something everyday. Do something nice for someone else every day. Do something nice for you everyday

Changeling, I feel exactly the same way but could not have said it as well as you.

Yes, I know I am going to die. And it does frighten me.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of Circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of Chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

• KW13
    KW13

So what??? It's just a word. Quit beating yourself up over every little thing, it's just not worth it!

changeling

your a star

I think of death many times, but I believe in God, Jesus and the resurrection. Death itself doesn’t scare me as much as dying, I hope I go quickly and as painlessly as possible. And I hope I leave those living that I am responsible for in a good state.

I also believe in God, Jesus and a 'hope' but obviously i gotta die to get it...never had that dilemma before lol. Maybe i'm not so alone eh? You also think of death but its how you approach it that seems to make the difference.

----

Locutus, thank you for sharing that piece of amazing writing.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I understand totally where you're coming from. For those of us raised witnesses, death was a foreigner. Oh, sure, we

could die from an accident or a sudden illness. But growing old and dying was just not in our culture...JW culture.

It's hitting lots of us full force in the face now. I lost both my mom and dad within the last few years and their deaths

were scary and strange to face.

I just don't focus on it now. I know it's going to happen, but I've come to look at it like a butterfly leaving its coccoon behind.

I do believe in an afterlife for some reason. I just think this physical plane is to hone us for what is to come.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Nobody wants to die and it is very normal to be afraid of death, even if one doesn't believe in any afterlife. We are afraid of nothingness.

So, yes, I am afraid too, but I really choose not to think about it much. As changeling said, the most terrible thing would be to spend all one's time here thinking about death and the fear of death, which is really inevitable and beyond our control, only to arrive at that point and realize we were so busy thinking about the future that we forgot to LIVE NOW!

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit