Growing a Beard: Reaction from JWs

by compound complex 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mouthy
    mouthy

There is an elder in Montreal that has a lovely trim beard - he is a good looker also. They say he has a nasty scar underneath that is why he is allowed to have a beard.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Glad to know they pick on men for somethings Cos they never said a word about my beard & moustache

• Mincan
    Mincan
    Yes, but from one man to another, they both tend to look a little gay (not in the strict homosexual sense, just the "ghey" sense). I think they're a little too "mid-nineties" for me.

George Stroumboulopoulos sports a soul patch, I think it suits him well. A long egyptian style goatee would look wicked too.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    No go. They use fake paste-on beards for those.

It's safe to say that anyone who is or was a j-dub understands that.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Beards? Nah. I've got a 'stash and long hair that ties back nicely into a ponytail. I've only had one comment from a JW who asked "Hey, are you trying to be a rock star?" lol

Dave

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I guess I had the JW version of the shaving profile... I grew a beard for some med reasons. Elder buddy was asking about alternatives..so I showed him what the perscription cost and told him my doc said not shaving was a cheaper alternative.

The Beard won.... they let me stay on the school and everything. Never got a lot of official flack but did get a few sideways glances at the Assemblies

• mind my own
    mind my own

I remember one brother in my congo growing up who had a beard. He was extremely gifted intellectually. He was allowed to comment but they wouldnt' appoint him to MS, elder or pioneer until he shaved it off. He asked repeatedly to pioneer but they wouldn't let him. He went in service though...anyway, he finally shaved it off and then voila, MS, regular pioneer almost instantly.

MMO

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

I think it all depends on which Kingdom Hall you go to. Of course the rules (even the unspoken ones) are all the same at any KH on the planet, but its the degree to which they enforce them. Interestingly enough, what Ive noticed is that attendance at KH, BS, TMS, and in Service greatly increases as the level of control decreases, for minor issues such as a beard.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc
    Glad to know they pick on men for somethings Cos they never said a word about my beard & moustache

LMAO! Mouthy, you are hilarious.

sooner7nc

• JAVA
    JAVA

As most of you know, Charles Russell had a full beard until he died in 1917. Many Bible Students thought the world of him and it wasn’t uncommon for the men to wear beards like Russell. The second president didn’t wear a beard Joseph Rutherford made it clear that he didn’t favor others who wore them. Rutherford knew he wasn’t Russell’s pick as a successor and that he forced his way into that position. I don’t believe he wanted any Russell look-a-likes in the ranks, and the Tower has come up with all kinds of crazy reasons why it’s not proper for the guys to wear beards. I thinks it's just a Tower control thing today, but I'm fairly sure it started because Rutherford was jealous. That’s why I grew one before I stopped attending meetings. The looks I got were priceless back in early 80s. I still wear one today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit