Interesting thing happened today with my father the PO.....

by oneairhead 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

My father and I had lunch at a local restaurant. Before we eat we always pray. Before we were about to leave a man comes up to our table

and introduces himself and says i just want to say that I appreciated seeing you pray before you began eating. If more people did this our

country would be a better place. My father agreed. The man then proceeds to say are you a preacher and my father says yes. So the guy

says where at? Meaning what church. And my father says oh in the next town over, (he actually said the name). The man then says well I

am the pastuer at such and such Baptist Church. The man then says which candidate are you gonna vote for? My dad then just shrugs and

and the man says so you haven't decided either. And my dad said no. Well turns out this guy goes to the Phillipines and take bibles and

songbooks to the people over there with his church as well as being a preacher. The purpose of this story is the PO did not want to admit who

he was affiliated with and I am glad because I cringed when I though he was going to say it.

One

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Wow, a PO who wouldn't use this opportunity to informal witness? What if the angels sent the man to your table?

momz

• Gopher
    Gopher
    The purpose of this story is the PO did not want to admit who he was affiliated with

I never wanted to admit it either, when I was a JW. Your dad is the same way, human.

Forget that 'being a bold and fearless witness at all times' slogan. That's not real (except for maybe a few deluded JW's who think they can make some impression on others). And the Governing Body that pushes the idea that every JW should be bold and fearless, for the most part live a secluded and sheltered existence.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher
    Well turns out this guy goes to the Phillipines and take bibles and songbooks to the people over there with his church as well as being a preacher

Maybe this will help your Dad see that there are lots of Christians involved in spreading the good news of Christ? Maybe he is having doubts? POs have left the organization before...

• oneairhead
    oneairhead

Truthsearcher: I believe he has always doubted. When I was a child he didn't do much in the org. But when I left to go to Bethell he started doing stuff. But I really believes he does it for my mother who is pioneer. Maybe he will change.

Thanks, One

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Have you ever had a chance to gently explore some of those doubts or to ask questions that will really get him thinking? I'm sorry, but I don't know what your status is right now, so maybe this would be a dangerous thing. I've always used this opening line, "You know, I'm really confused about something, and was wondering if you could help me understand..."

I don't think the Witnesses ever suspected that I was trying to plant seeds, because they kept coming back, week after week, for an entire year. We had at least 13 different Witnesses in and out of our door, including 8 elders from 3 different congregations. I guess we were hard nuts to crack, so to speak.

Unfortunately, not one of them fell to their knees and cried "Finally I see the truth, I have been in a cult, serving false teachers!" But they know where we live, and I am praying that one of these days, we get a call or a visit from one of them, with more open hearts to hear what we have discovered about the Watchtower.

BTW, welcome to JWD. I hope this forum is helping you.

• freetosee
    freetosee

Your father knew he should of stood up for his "faith". You can hardly get a better opportunity to give a witness!

As PO he is chairman of the BOE, he leads the congregation and was intimidated by a friendly preacher.

He is no exeption, many back off, but when giving a talk at the kh or assembly they sound very different.

fts

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

So was the Baptist preacher being pushy or unusually "bold and fearless" when he stepped forward, identified himself and congratulated your Dad on his public display of faith? I'm sorry, but your PO Dad seems to be exhibiting "a form of godly devotion but proving false to it's power."

I'm an atheist, and I'm not ashamed to tell people I am when it comes up in conversation. I guess the difference is that I'm not afraid of people. A PO who can only mumble and shrug his shoulders does not deserve his glorious position.

• bite me
    bite me

P.O. Still makes me think of Probation Officer, come to think of it some of them kinda act like one.

• moshe
    moshe

No doubt the PO was afraid of this scenario, that is why he kept quiet.

Baptist pastor- What Church do you pastor at?

PO- I'm a JW and PO at The KH in Newborg.

Pastor- So tell me Mr PO, just how long have you been hiding pedophiles from the police at your KH?

PO- Oh we don't have any pedophiles in the KH, that is a rumor put out by disgruntled former members.

Pastor- Oh really?- It was just on the NBC news how your Watchtower leaders paid out millions to victims of abuse perpetrated by your KH members- some of the pedophiles were elders just like you are. Can you prove you don't have pedophiles hiding in your KH?

PO- Son, we really have to be leaving now, I need my acid reflux medicine real bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit