need a logical refutation for this JW argument about voting

by chickpea 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• chickpea
    chickpea

one of my nearest and dearest "sisters" for years always used this argument at the door to stress the evils of participating in the electoral process>>>>> if you vote for a candidate and then he/she does something in office that leads to deaths ( or whatever.... ) then the people who voted that individual into office share the blame/guilt/bloodguilt.....

how do i deconstruct that to prove that no one is responsible for a decision other than the decision maker ( or decider as in a new vernacular term) ?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Does she drive a car or accept rides in them? If so, she's contributing, in a small way, to people's respiratory problems and helping to shorten their lives. She should walk everywhere from now on.

Voting is only a part of the political process. If she's concerned about making a difference, she should consider joining a political party and work to make changes internally.

Of course, bitching about "this old system" requires less effort and is the ideal solution for lazy, unmotivated people such as the JWs.

W

• Gopher
    Gopher

This link here: http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/voting2.htm leads you to a quote from the November 1, 1999 Watchtower, where they had some "new light" on voting (because of pressure in certain countries outside America).

It was a Question from Readers that asked "How Do Jehovah's Witnesses View Voting?" They give 5 negative factors regarding voting, but 6 times stated that each JW must make their own personal decision. Here is the specific quote:

in matters of individual conscience such as this, each Christian has to make his own decision before Jehovah God

So if you take the angle of using what the Watchtower itself says -- that some JW's have conscientiously voted (and there was no mention about sharing responsibility for decisions made by the ones elected), then you may get through to this "sister".

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Perhaps she should start making her own clothes. You see, by buying a certain brand she could be supporting a company that employs third world workers in sweatshops in unbearable conditions. If she chooses to support a company by buying their product and that were to happen she would clearly be responsible for the inhumane treatment of others.

Jackie

• minimus
    minimus

Since typical human reasoning will do no good, your only alternative is to look at Gopher's sighting of the 99 watchtower. The Faithful Slaves says it's an individual conscience decision. Period.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

This reasoning is just ubsurd.

You're not even responsible for the actions of YOUR OWN CHILD, something you give birth too and shape its actions, why would you be responsible for electing someone?

You make the best possible decision, and if you're wrong, you're wrong.

Tell her that a 'true christian' should not give birth because if you vote for a candidate give birth to a person and then he/she does something in office life that leads to deaths ( or whatever.... ) then the people who voted that individual into office brought that child into the world share the blame/guilt/bloodguilt.....

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Since typical human reasoning will do no good, your only alternative is to look at Gopher's sighting of the 99 watchtower. The Faithful Slaves says it's an individual conscience decision. Period.

I mentioned that to my ex when we were still together. She answered, "You know that's not what they mean! They printed that for the sake of the governments that still persecute our brothers for being neutral!"

W edited to add rolling eyes.
  • LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

NO DONT! Instead, memorize the article and put it in your own words, then tell her what 'you think' about the issue, then use the same 'logic' that is used in the watchtower. She will reject it, simply because it's coming from you and not the magazine.. THEN after she rejects your reasoning on the issue, show her the Watchtower article, and she will accept it immediately. Then you can rub her nose in the fact that she really doesn't care WHAT the Bible says, or even if the logic is sound, all she cares about is what the FDS say about a matter.

• minimus
    minimus

When I was an elder, the CO told the elders that very same thing. However, I told anyone and everyone that I would always believe the written latest Watchtower over any person's explanation that could be incorrect. The WT. was very plain and if JWs in certain lands were to interpet it differently, it would suggest that we were not all united and of one thought.

Nope! You can't have it 2 ways.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i have no shame in admitting to you guys that there are tears in my eyes .....

i think you guys rock....

to the Nth degree !!

seriously!!

i think that.....

so much so i am tearing up!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit