need a logical refutation for this JW argument about voting

by chickpea 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Use her reasoning against her.

Tell her that by NOT voting, she is contributing to the election of the candidate she WOULDN'T have voted for, thus making her all the more reprehensible in that she did NOTHING to at least get the most just and qualified candidate elected.

By NOT voting, she is in effect voting FOR the person she would have voted against.

This whole argument is nonsensical, as so many here have noted. Better to have done something, than to do nothing and let charlatans and bunglers run the country!

Either way, voting or not voting, you share equal responsibility for what happens.

S4

• poppers
    poppers

All good comments - I especially liked Seeker4's

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yes, a non vote is a vote. And . . . if by voting I'm responsible for bad, then inversely, by voting I'm responsible for the good as well. It's not the voting that's a problem, it's the premise that the responsibility is based on that's wrong.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

God, Lore - I think I love you! Gopher, I already love you, as you know.

The only thing I came up with on my own is that if she *doesn't* vote for the right candidate, she's guilty if a bad guy gets into office.

EDIT: Seeker beat me to that one...

• juni
    juni
    Either way, voting or not voting, you share equal responsibility for what happens.

S4

sort of like lies of omission and lies of commission..

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Ooh! How about driving! You *might* make a mistake that takes a life. But you don't stop driving because of that. You deal with it when it happens, because that's what responsible people do. Here, the connection between your choices and actions and the outcomes is (like birthing a child) much more closely linked - yet we still drive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit