The difficulty of recovering from JW teachings

by DT 17 Replies latest jw friends

• esw1966
    esw1966

My new worldview: That Jesus came to earth to do for us what we could not do on our own. We cannot save ourselves from sin. It is our faith in what Jesus accomplished that we have everlasting life. We are meritted righteousness and the holy spirit begins to change your heart and your actions.

So, this worldview helps me because it tells me that on my own I am not able to work for salvation but it comes as a gift. Therefore, I am able to forgive others around me and to show them love as they have shown me love.

The relationship with Jesus is one of love. He loves me. I love him. I know that he will work out good for me in my life regardless of where I find myself. I am confident about my future and I know that the troubles I may go through are for a reason which I can learn from and I can look forward to the days ahead when I will be set free from them. Each day is exciting. I know that he has a plan and a purpose for me and I anxiously await to see what it is.

This from a person who came into jw as a 9 year old and left 30 years later. As a jw, I was a sinner and I was going to pay. I was depressed! Why not do the bad, I was going to pay for it anyway if I tried my best or not.

I feel as a jw I was never truly loved for who I was, but for what I did. I don't even believe my parents unconditionally loved me. I believe all my relationships were abusive, including the religion. Finding love and feeling loved and being forgiven and having eternal life is awesome!

I remember when my present wife told me that she would always love me no matter what, I told her, 'That's a bad idea!' My life has never been the same since!!!

• oompa
    oompa

born in fourth gen.. and very very jaded...years of doubts put on the back shelf finally collapsed when I discoverd Jehovah does not belong in the New Testament, but we wanted him there so bad, we changed the bible and stuck him in there 237 time, because we wanted to...you can check your insight book under Jehovah and yup "we find it most unusal that there are no extant copies of the Christian Greek Scriptures to be found anywhere in the would with the name Jehovah in them"....but what the hey we will just make our own little NWT and Bring that Jewish God right on over into Christianity........yyyyyyeeeeeeaahhhhhhhaaaaa!!! No other bible in the world has done this.....if this interests you, I can pm you my mindblowing letter to the society......wow! All my elders are whacked up and stunned that they have never been taught the truth about this. and I feel defrauded in the extreme.......so I am about to conclude Russell had one think right..."All Religion is a Snare and a Racket"................works for me..............oompa

• OBVES
    OBVES

It's easy to find out if you read my posts I published on this forum. You will feel regrets you left them when you realize no other religious group can be put in their place.

Just try to find one .Get a very interesting book " Religions in America" and I wish you could get the same as I have . I have found by the presentations given there that Jehovah's Witnesses are the best that are given in the book.

I have profusely explained where do they stand in our times.

You should get involved in studying the end-times.

Harold Camping wrote two books you should have :
    " Time Has an End" and " Wheat and Tares ".

Also get the book by Ronald Weinland " 2008 .God's Final Witness ".

You must have an idea what is going now in the predictions concerning the end of the world. It is there where the action is taking place now.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

after 25 years in and then 25 years out, I find I've erased a lot of JW inculcation (one of their favorite words) but some of it is still planted deep in my brain. Not all bad - some morals, some respectful behavior, and a good dose of rebelliousness they never could get out of me. But mostly, I find I just miss potlucks.

• theistichedonist
    theistichedonist

DT - I'm impressed with how clearly you put your finger on a problem that is sometimes so deep that it goes unspoken. I out of an abusive church situation myself in which people would say, "Thus says the LORD" and the Lord didn't say. What followed for me was a similar "epistemological avalanche" in which very few things were "certain" anymore. Thinking about the faithfulness of God in creation and redemption gave alot of rest to my heart / mind. (I am sorry that my reply is so short. I had just spent over an hour typing out a longer response. I pushed the submit button only to find that I got some stupid error - and consequently lost everything that I had written. This post is the re-write.)

However, I've got enough wind to re-write my response to OBVES

OBVES: I appreciate the fact that you are trying to rescue those you feel are "drowning" (i.e. "apostates", etc...). I also appreciate that you are willing to show up on a board like this with so many non-Witnesses. In my experience, this exposure to contrary views is a rare find among Witnesses. However, your response to DT's concerns was so callous and cruel, that I literally had to research your posting history twice to ensure that you weren't just a smart ... posting a cynical / mocking invite back to the WT. You weren't being a smart a**, you were serious! Here is what I find so callous about your posting: It fails to aknowledgeor even wrestle with this reality: Many of the people you are trying to "rescue" have been through so much horror / loss / fear / bondage from following a "Thus says Jehovah" from the WT, that they don't believe that the real Jehovah (or a real "channel of communication" could be so cruel / wrong). Instead of thoughtfully wrestling with DT's post and the legitimate disillusionment of many ex-Witnesses (Google Gary Busselman and read his story - I dare you.), you seek to heal the hurt of these people by flipping them a lecture on the "end-times". It is this blindness to the real hurt of others that makes my soul shudder when I contemplate what life as a "Witness" must be like. If you respond, please don't trott off a bunch of gobledeygook about "increasing light". I've heard this Scripture twisting before; and every time I think that the WT might be makin' some headway, I just remember that I don't know whether their current teaching on new light will be "old light" shortly. Lighten up and thoughtfully engage DT - I'll lighten up too!

http://theistichedonist.blogspot.com

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Initially it was very difficult for me to let go of JW teachings/doctrine. For a while I thought and reacted like I was still a JW. However over time I've totally let go of all doctrines taught to me. I don't believe anything remotely similar to JW doctrine anymore.

The effects shown now of being raised a JW??? - less friends - I only have a very few good friends. Any other hidden things haven't surfaced yet, if there are hidden things - I'm pretty okay, I'm happy 9 times out of 10, my life has improved dramatically since I've left.

It still blows my mind how under the spell I was and It still brings tears to my eyes that I'm totally free.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I'll have to examine my thinking for the rest of my life, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's not just information we have to overcome, it is ways of thinking as well. But I agree: it's rather a good thing to live a conscious and considered life. Indeed, I believe this is the point of Christ's teachings regarding getting out of the Pharisee mindset, that he fulfilled the law.

At some point, I think I that any organization that espouses one set of rules about God must be wrong, because it confuses belief with relationship, thought with experience; and I have found my valid path to the divine is individualistic and experiential.

I'm interested in discussing the assumptions or thought processes that lead people down these different paths...Others have retained the belief that there is a God or that the Bible is true.

As a JW, my psyche was too abused by scripture taken out of context, "begging the question" logic, and an environment that upholds appearance over substance. Hypocrisy, suffering, and an undercurrent of masochism (placing suffering on a pedastel) ruled the world I saw.

I don't know if my passion for honesty and hatred of lies comes from my JW background, or if it is part and parcel of my inborn humanity. I do know I cannot abide dishonesty, nor the promotion of ideas that cannot be proven as if they are "facts".

I've attended several Christian churches (Baptist, Pentecostal, Catholic...), and while some of them generated a sense of belonging in me (being a part of a group), I've never experienced a sense of divinity or being in contact with God through any group. Certainly I never experienced a relationship with God while a JW. I always experienced the WTS as trying to interfere with my communion with God, usurping my relationship with Him. With the latest teachings on the FDS now being the only ones who can approach God through Christ, I see I'm not mistaken. I utterly reject that any other man must serve as my mediator with God.

After becoming inactive I explored many ways of reaching the sacred. I found an experience of the divine in Native American and Meso-American ritual. I found emotional satisfaction in Buddhist belief. I found an ethical standard in Secular Humanism. I learned that meaning is individualistic.

I was determined to not accept anyone's understanding of God that I had not experienced myself. Now that I have had many experiences to examine, I conclude that whatever I have experienced is indeed just my experience. It's enough for me. I can assign a bunch of meanings to it, and I can describe it to those that are interested, and in the end it is proof of nothing at all. And yet it is enough.

It's not that important that others might accept or deny what I have experienced about "God". It's not important that what I've experienced is "God" or just another part of my own psyche. Meaning is individualized. What my mind makes up about these experiences may or may not agree with what another mind makes of it.

What this has taught me is that understanding God is not important in a pragmatic way. Maybe God is there and maybe He isn't. What does it matter, beyond some people's need to prove there is a God, or what God is supposed to be like, or what God is supposed to want? What is important is how I live my life, how I treat others, what impact I have on the world around me.

Everything else is just thoughts, just mind-stuff, less than a breeze in the air.

What is important is, if I have God beliefs, how I am influenced to act in the world. How I treat others. What I espouse as good standards to live by. My standards will be based on pragmatic issues, by outcomes.

It does leave me in an intersting (perhaps) state. Do I believe in God? I'd have to say, No, I don't have conscious thoughts that God exists. It doesn't matter to me. It disturbs me when others demand that He does, or that I accept that He does. There's no evidence to support it.

At the same time, I derive comfort in this experience of being connected, related to, something that is larger than I am. Is it God? The biosphere? Gaia? The creative yearning of the Universe? A fantasy? My Higher Self? Who knows? It's a supportive experience, and the meaning is highly subjective.

As I said: it's enough.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I have figured out that what I don't know is alot bigger than I thought I knew.

momz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit