OF INTEREST TO NEW YORKERS?

by Dansk 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Just saw this on Richard Dawkin's site: http://richarddawkins.net/ and thought it might interest New Yorkers and others on JWD:

Two Ex-Jehovah Witnesses to Tell Why They Became Atheists

by NYC Atheists

See:
    http://nyc-atheists.org/

New York, Jan. 9, 2008—Ann and Ben (not their real names) have asked us not to disclose their true identity because, only a year out of Jehovah's Witnesses, they still fear the repercussions from the their parents and what they call "The Organization."

"We're hiding, sort-of," says Ann. "If my family found out about this, I don't know if they'd talk to me anymore," says Ann. "Ben's family doesn't know about it. And the religion we came from could track us down and get us in trouble."

Ann comes from three generations of California-based Jehovah's Witnesses. Ben's family are missionaries in Mexico who do not know that their son, a former fulltime "pioneer" (door knocker) in the sect, is now estranged from the religion. Ann, too, "did the ministry," going door to door to try to make converts until she was 23.

Both say that their disaffection from the religion was a gradual process based on science and logic. "I'm not angry, and I did not leave because something happened to me. I left because I had questions that they couldn't answer," says Ann. For Ben, it was the feeling of being subjected continuously to what he calls thought control. "They don't want you to be educated because you would be subjected to influences that might be contrary to the doctrine. It's Orwellian, almost like thought police," he says.

"You move from 'I can't be in this religion' to 'Is any religion worth my time?'" says Ann. "And then you wonder, if there is a god, then why does it look like there's not? Then it comes down to, you don't really need a god to explain the universe."

Come and hear this remarkable young couple, who had the courage to escape the indoctrination to which they had been subjected from birth, on Sunday January 13th, at the NYCA Brunch.

EVENT SUMMARY

WHAT: Our Road to Atheism by Ann and Ben, former Jehovah's Witnesses.

WHEN: January 13th at 12 P.M.

WHERE: Kennedy's Pub and Restaurant - 327 West 57th St. (bet. 8th and 9th Avenues), Rear Room

BRUNCH COST: $20 includes tax and tip

Contacts:

Jane Everhart
    Director of Communications
    New York City Atheists, Inc.
    212-879-2687

Kenneth Bronstein, President
    New York City Atheists, Inc.
    212-535-7425

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Wish I was in New York - would definately go. Sounds very interesting.

• oompa
    oompa

i am booking sw now.......oompa

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Interesting. I am coming back from a trip that day but I may be able to show up.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thats one I would like to attend

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Not in NY, but think its still cool.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Too bad I didn't see this earlier....

Isaac

• Dansk
    Dansk

BTTT for those New Yorkers who missed this thread.

Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk

Two days to go.

Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk

One day to go. Should be very interesting.

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit