Can raising a child JW contribute to later psychiatric disorders?

by journey-on 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    Can raising a child JW contribute to later psychiatric disorders?

ABSOLUTELY, YES!

That's a good list you put together, Journey.

• Mincan
    Mincan

I've been diagnosed with ADHD-Combined, Obessive-Compulsive Disorder, and Tourettes at age 6. I was medicated with Ritalin until the age of about 12.

During my lovely in-patient experience this September where I once again met with a psychiatrist, I was confirmed these were living and strong, but also given some new labels: Major Depressive Disorder, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, and last but not least Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I know my make-up, genetics, and tendancies. Depression runs rampant in my family, all the females and starting with me (since I'm not afraid to admit it) a male in my family are on anti-depressants, some are on pain killers, some on opioid pain killers. Most have substance abuse disorders, all of my uncles and great uncles are alcoholics, closet alcoholics, or weekend alcoholics. Many were smokers and have since quit, save one. All have problems with obesity, I will never let that happen to me. Only some of the young ones haven't become obese.

All have serious denial problems. Many have only hidden their problems. I believe that if they didn't have a serious problem are the only ones that haven't compartmentalised and disassociated. They are all very close so they all have an extreme need to know everyone elses business. This is completely opposite of me, because I try to work through my problems and am fiercely personal (couldn't tell by this post though...). I'm in a psychoeducation group right "Stress, Assertiveness, and Relaxation" at the perfect time, I got a family wedding coming up this weekend and everyone is going to be interrogating me... "What have you been up to the last half year" Oh nothing, a few suicide attempts, hospital stays, medication terror, frustration, suicidal ideation, persistant daily non-reasonal anxiety... nothing big... "When are you going to get a job?!" Oh I don't know, when I think I can handle one without quitting in the second week from low self-esteem (now that I recognise my problems in the work place that has led me to this place) self-loating and suicidal ideation. I need to heal sufficiently and also treat the things that cause me to get more depressed and anxious at the work place before I attempt again. Good news, though, I do feel I am ready now, and have made the mental change from "I can't work" to "I want to work" now I will wait for something acceptable to come around. (Try finding a job in Niagara Falls in the winter...)

Anyway, my prognosis is good because of my intellectual abilities (really not trying to toot my horn, but I realise what is me, what is chemical, what is neurological, and what is unchangable, and what in my borderline is not real and I need to fight those thoughts rather than give in to them), my low ambient stress levels (only need to deal with existential angst and temporary external stressors like this weekend). I may have to step it up a notch though, Social Assistance sees my progress and wants me off...I Completely agree! :) Getting better....

• steve2
    steve2
    I think that and Organization that tells its members not to think and punishes free thinking is responsible for the damage and psychiatric harm it perpetrates on those trapped in it by their own stupid parents.

Gill, we may not be so far apart in our views as you imply. You hit the nail on the head when you also included your parents as an important influence.

I have acknowledged several times that a person's environment can have a siginificantly adverse impact on their development, and contribute to personal problems. Mincan's post (above) nicely summarises the many factors that also contribute to life problems and mental illness.

In a nutshell,

• JWs are undeniably an unhealthy religious organization, but they are not alone; there are many such organizations, religious or political in our society - and, I would venture, some groups are worse than JWs (e.g., fanatical Muslim sects).
    • Many factors are involved in a person developing significant life problems. Exposure to an unhealthy religious organization is just one. The other salient factor is parental influences, including their own stability.
    • Often overlooked: Many people exposed to an unhealthy religious organization do not subsequently develop mental illnesses.
  • steve2
    steve2
    Anyway, my prognosis is good because of my intellectual abilities (really not trying to toot my horn, but I realise what is me, what is chemical, what is neurological, and what is unchangable, and what in my borderline is not real and I need to fight those thoughts rather than give in to them), my low ambient stress levels (only need to deal with existential angst and temporary external stressors like this weekend). I may have to step it up a notch though, Social Assistance sees my progress and wants me off...I Completely agree! :) Getting better....

Hey, Mincan, I appreciated reading your helpful post. Sounds like you have been through a very drawn-out experience, but been able to work out the various factors, environmental and personal, that have contributed to your problems. Yes, it is helpful to recognise that many factors underlie how we "end up" in life, and it is seldom "just" being exposed to an healthy belief system in and of itself. I also agree that your intellectual capacity is enabling you to clearly identify the different factors that have contributed to your problems. All the best in your journey...

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Steve 2 are you an ex JW having experienced family shunning or perpetual tolerance rather than love? Or even having returned to non-JW family who view much of any differences you hold on your still being brainwashed or indoctrinated rather than on meaningful reasoning?

Having briefly spoken to psychologists in the past I was surprised at the guessing game in play as to reasoning and logic in determining whatever outcomes they preconceived - very reminiscent of JW psychology itself!!

• Mincan
    Mincan
    Hey, Mincan, I appreciated reading your helpful post. Sounds like you have been through a very drawn-out experience, but been able to work out the various factors, environmental and personal, that have contributed to your problems. Yes, it is helpful to recognise that many factors underlie how we "end up" in life, and it is seldom "just" being exposed to an healthy belief system in and of itself. I also agree that your intellectual capacity is enabling you to clearly identify the different factors that have contributed to your problems. All the best in your journey...

Hey, thanks Steve. Anyway, I find it fascinating that you were a JW and become a clinical psychiatrist! That's something I could see myself doing.

• Gill
    Gill

Steve2 - I don't think we differ too much on our views either on this but I would like to ask, don't you think that ALL JWs suffer from some degree of delusion in that they actually believe that barring any accident or illness they will live forever and never die. They have a false view of life and their own and their loved ones futures. They also have a false view about the future of everyone else on the planet. This, to JWs is very real. Isn't this a form of 'insanity' or illness in that they do not have a grasp on reality?

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

You are spot on Gill. Like I said elsewhere, when I was going into that water I had been pretty sure that it had to do with John the Baptist and Jesus dove from above type mularkey and the only way to the true God. Its just that the day felt nothing like that for various reasons but you know for sure not one of anyone will let you out of the snare of baptism and treat you as they did before it!

All humanity thrives on tribal associations since as long as they've been around and JWs intefere and dictate all those interactions and how they must revolve around their office hours for the rest of all your lives just to keep yourself connected! It's un-natural and places conflict where there should be harmony and love and acceptance of each other. Even those shunning you don't feel they want to oftentimes - it's an un-natural human response they obediently force themselves to do until it becomes habitual. And because it infests the whole network of your associations, it maximises the feelings of possible potential damage to any who even think of leaving to keep you in a state of limbe for years before you can ever decide - yes I have to accept everyone is against me and be prepared to form brand new bonds with people outside my lifelong circle and family - and for a loving person doing that will break your heart - and not doing that will leave you feeling rejected and emotionally bound topeople who keep you at a distance in all sorts of ways!.

• Jae
    Jae

The anwser I give is YES! I am a living witness to that. I am now 44 years old. Being raised a witness was very depressing. I was very unhappy and I felt like a worm in a bottle. I often wanted to run away from my family but didn't know where I would I go. I didn't know my aunts and uncles or cousins very well. When I was 19 years old I was disfellowshipped and at 20 I tried to commit suicide. Rasing your child as a witness is like holding a gun to their head. It is very cruel!

• steve2
    steve2
    Steve2 - I don't think we differ too much on our views either on this but I would like to ask, don't you think that ALL JWs suffer from some degree of delusion in that they actually believe that barring any accident or illness they will live forever and never die.

Sorry for lapse in time in getting back to you but I've been on vacation for past few days.

Yes, the whole question of when a misguided belief becomes a delusion is an old one in psychiatry. There is a saying that goes like this, "If a lone man claims to speak for God we call him deluded, but if a whole group of people claim to speak for God we call them religious".

In my opinion - and I stress it is only my opinion - people who are convinced that they know God's will as revealed in some so-called "sacred" book - are deluded. However, I would make a distinction between this kind of religious delusion and clinical delusion - the latter is more likely to entail agreed-upon criteria that makes it a mental disorder as deifned in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit