Can raising a child JW contribute to later psychiatric disorders?

by journey-on 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• journey-on
    journey-on

Carla said:

People have no idea the courage it takes to walk away from this destructive cult. They think it is like leaving any 'church', they have no idea what kids are put through being a jw every day of their lives.

She's right. To walk away from this cult of a religion takes extreme personal courage. It's NOT like simply withdrawing from your church. It entails so much more!

This thread is about THE CHILDREN raised in this environment. Some do fine....like Garybuss said, they've learned to effectively function defectively. But others suffer

tremendously and usually in SILENCE because they either don't know how to express their fear and anxiety and guilt or they are reprimanded and punished for it or made

to feel so guilty for thinking outside the "Watchtower box" they withdraw into a shell. IT SADDENS ME (children are my soft spot).

• steve2
    steve2
    But what about Post Traumatic Stress? Being forced to attend meetings that deal with death and destruction cannot be healthy for a child. The fact that we are taught from birth that God will kill you and everyone else who doesn't agree with the religion cannot be healthy.

What about those who go through these experiences and end up stronger? It is understandable for people to blame their environment for how they turn out - and those in developed countries do this all the time.

But some balance is needed. The question of whether JWs have a higher incidence of mental illness than the general population is just that: A question.

Any mental health professional worth their qualification looks at the full picture: The clinical literature shows that, of those exposed to traumatic experiences, a significant proportion may develop acute stress that resolves within months, another significant proportion develop full-blown PTSD and a greater proportion do not develop any disorders at all. This is not to minimise the genuine suffering experienced by many people but is well documented in the clinical literature.

I recommend people consult the research by John Briere and especially any of the work by Martin Seligman and co who have focused in recent years on resilience factors in mental health, instead of the victim-oriented literature that has flooded the market for decades.

• changeling
    changeling

Wow! I knew I was srewed up by being raised by narcissistic, missionary wanna be parents, but you have it ALL spelled out!

Again: WOW!

changeling

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Well, no offence to you Blondie, but I agree with R Crusoe. The whole'chemical' imbalance thing is overstated (it should more correctly be 'mineral' not 'chemical' anyway). A lot of 'chemical imbalances' are triggered by severe emotional upsets and simple abuse or lack of love, or poor nutrition or drug dependency. The orthodox medical community wants to perpetuate the myth that anyone with a mental disorder, depression, etc has a 'chemical imbalance' that needs correcting by their harmful, synthetic, drugs. Those doctors and the big pharmaceutical companies have massively vested financial interests in perpetuating their myths. Lots of love and affection and good self-esteem works wonders for many people formerly stuck on drugs to fix their 'chemical imbalance'.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I found this information here: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/causes-000047_2-145_4.html

Psychologic Factors

Although parental influence is no longer believed to play a major role in the development of schizophrenia, it would be irresponsible to ignore outside pressures and influences that may exacerbate or trigger symptoms. The prefrontal lobes of the brain, which are the brain areas often thought to lead to this disease, are extremely responsive to environmental stress. Given the fact that schizophrenic symptoms naturally elicit negative responses from the patient's circle of family and acquaintances, it is safe to assume that negative feedback can intensify deficits in a vulnerable brain and perhaps even trigger and exacerbate existing symptoms.

One study indicated that early parental loss, either from death or separation, increases the risk for psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia. In another interesting 2000 study, criticism by family members was significantly correlated with the onset of disorganized thinking in patients with impaired working memory. (This effect of criticism was not observed in patients with functioning working memories.)

ANOTHER website related to children and schizophrenia prevention: http://www.schizophrenia.com/prev1.htm

• Bryan
    Bryan

Well, I sat in on a theropy session the other day. (Not mine, but I will have a new theropist soon.) We were discussing my being raised a witness and it seems the theropist has worked with several witnesses. She agreed that the witnesses are actually brainwashed.

I firmly believe that, at least for those born in. When from infancy you taught that you need to do certain things, believe certain things, or you WILL die. It will mold you mind (Brain's Wiring) in a very nagative form.

Bryan

• Layla33
    Layla33

I certainly believe so and have many in the congregation with mental disorders that were undiagnosed. I grew up in that religion and I saw so many children confused, tormeted, repression, acting out, everything you can imagine. I remember possibly ten years ago coming across a few studies on the high rate of mental illness in the Jehovah's Witness faith and Catholicism. It was so interesting to read. I believe it was in the journal of psychology when I was doing some graduate work and came across it just out of interest.

The repression, the warped sense of self, the warped sense of sexuality, the control, the rigid lines, and everything else that people have commented on is very true.

And can we talk about the obsession with "demons"? Everything either has a demon, was a demon, or is was demonized. Heck, even after left the religion, it took a good three years before I wasn't terrorized with Armeggedon nightmares. Imagine, anyone from birth having to deal with this nonsense. How can your sense of reality not be a little skewed?

Just a personal story, I have a cousin who is also my age, she's older than me by a few months. Her father is a PO and has been one since I can remember. My aunt is a regular pioneer and has been one since I can remember and growing up, she suffered through some very sad things. The first thing I remember is that her father simply forbid her to wear shorts, not even the longer kind in the summer. I remember going to the beach or going to the playground or an amusement park and her absolutely crying because it was so hot, and she couldn't wear shorts. She got into big trouble for lying because she was in a school play and her parents would have raised heck if they knew, but she just wanted to be involved. She practiced and praticed for the play and when she was supposed to be in it, she lied and told the school our grandmother died. Well that lead to a big issue and she was put on some kind of private reprimand.

To this day, she has issues. Anti-social, weird, bitter in a lot of ways, now this I just hear down the family communication lane, as she is one of the few family members I have that wouldn't speak to me if I was laying in the street and needed medical attention. But she is so unhappy, this I know for a fact.

So from my personal experience and I can spend all day and night on this topic alone, there are so many young children and teenagers that I know of personally who have suffered so much because of the practices of the JW and the interpretations in the KH.

• steve2
    steve2
    She agreed that the witnesses are actually brainwashed.

If they're brainwashed as the therapist seems to think, how come there's such a huge dropout rate? besides, in my, practice, I see distressed people from all kinds of religious backgrounds, including those who 'simply' follow the Bible. T

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

1. What is your practice?

2. Re-read Carla's post, she sums it up so well.

• Gill
    Gill

I think my parents would have made me frantic and anxious constantly anyway, whether they were JWs or not! However, add to that lethal mix the mind bending control freakery of the WTBTS and you've got a 'fruit cake' in the making.

Five years of counselling later, I feel fine. But, my head's wired up wrongly and everything makes me afraid because basically, I missed out on the first 35 years of my life and the growing up I should have done, simply because of the control freakery of my parents, the WTBTS, my inlaws and the cruelty of people I had considered friends but turned out to be nothing of the sort. My realitys, as a child were constant fear and nightmares and no body grows up a relaxed and happy individual after a child hood of fear and stress. I was told that i had probably had nervous breakdown after nervous breakdown from the age of 8 until the age of about 39 and all caused by the bullying antics of the WTBTS, my parents, and those who chose to treat me in such a manner for their own reasons. But I knew no better than to allow it, after all a good little JW doesn't fight back......does she?

No child should ever suffer the upbringing of the WTBTS.

However, I like to believe that good can come from bad, so there is still hope.....even for myself!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit