Class Suit Against the Watchtower -- Anyone?

by Dogaradodya 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogaradodya
    Dogaradodya

I'm inviting former JWs to file a class suit against the Watchtower for psychological, sociological, physical, intellectual, biological and financial damages.

A. Psychological damage:
    1. Followers are made to believe that the Christian Bible is the sole and exclusive Word of God. I beg to disagree. The Old Testament was solely written to unite the Hebrews and the New Testament solely to unite the Jews. Worse, the Watchtower has its own interpretation of the Bible, not to mention its own version of the Bible itself (New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures), that is, to unite the JWs. The Watchtower propagates its own idea of who will and will not be resurrected. Oh, come on...

2. Followers are made to believe that Armageddon will come every tomorrow. As a result, they religiously go through all five meetings a week, aside from attending various assemblies and going from house to house. Watchtower representatives, in particular, pointed to the year 1975 as the "end of the world." I was an impressionable 12-year old at that time during which I was baptized. Imagime, I was having goose bumps every time Armageddon was echoed from the pulpit!

3. Children born in JW families are made to "go from house to house" at an early age. Formal indoctrination (which they call "bible study") prior to baptism usually starts at age 12. Becoming an "ordained minister" while still a minor can hardly be considered willful and legal.

B. Sociological damage:
    Followers are admonished to be "separate from the world." They consider outsiders as "worldly." They cannot enter politics and become president, nor can they become a police or a military general. They consider the United Nations as the "Wild Beast." What? (Oh, man, gimme a break!) Me, maybe as the long-awaited 666 or Anti-Christ. The Watchtower only made the world of JWs smaller.

C. Physical/Health damage:
    1. As a result of Item A-2 above, Sunday is like a working day. No rest.

2. Many have been bitten by dogs, hit by a speeding car (my brother-in-law's mother was hit and killed by a jeep while going through her routine of being a "regular pioneer"), and stricken with a host of maladies associated with "seeking first the Kingdom." (Oh, my God, I'm getting emotional!)

3. The Watchtower holds the Bible superior than science. My mother died in 2004 due to leukemia. She could have lived for a few more years if she just had blood transfusion, and we could have still enjoyed her company. In comparison, my grandmother (my mother's mother) lived for more than twelve years, because I had her infused with blood, even as I was then a JW but already with nagging doubts. The story went like this. My grandmother had an accident and she was operated on in an orthopedic hospital. I was alone accompanying her during the day of the surgery. It was successful but the doctor said that she needed to have blood transfusion to recuperate, if not, she would die. I phoned my mother. Knowing me, she left the fate of her mother in my hands.

D. Intellectual damage:
    1. College education is discouraged. Careers in law and medicine are a no-no. What for? Doctors and lawyers, as JWs say, are not needed in the "new system of things." As a result of the 1975 blunder, many JW youth stopped attending college and instead pursued "pioneer" work.

2. Excelling in academic pursuit is like eyeing for the moon. In my case, I was the 1) Most Outstanding Student, 2) Best in Math and 3) Best in English during elementary. I was able to qualify for entry to the University of the Philippines Integrated School (high school), and I took up college in the same premier university. But after my laurels in elementary, I never did take my schooling seriously afterwards. What for? Armageddon is nigh.

E. Biological damage:
    1. "Bethelites" are not allowed to have children. If ever couples have children, they have to leave the office/factory.

2. Many so-called "pioneers" are not able to marry, hence becoming old maids and old bachelors. They are practically deprived of sex! Even masturbation is prohibited!

F. Financial/Economic/Professional damage:
    1. JWs, who are legally "ordained ministers," are not paid for their proselytizing work.

2. The Watchtower has no economic development programs for its followers. It preaches its own economic motto: "Keep your eyes simple." The five meetings a week apart from periodic assemblies get in the way of professional, employment and business work.

3. If you want to become a Bill Gates or a Rockefeller, forget it. If you are middle class and you, unfortunately, become a JW, you cannot rise up the next rung of the economic ladder anymore. In fact, the "seek first the Kingdom Hall" mentality will pull you down financially. Again, as a result of the 1975 blunder, many JWs, at least in my country, sold whatever property they could dispose of, even carabaos, so they could have means of support while keeping themselves busy with their "end of the world is coming" commercial. Kinda reminds me of Mr. Bean in the movie "Johnny English" wherein he was surprised to read the tattoo on the fake Archbishop's buttocks that says, "Jesus is Coming; Look busy."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I believe you will find that all this abuse falls under the concept of "freedom of religion." If they can get away with the murder/suicide of dozens each year via the "blood issue," they can get away with anything. The courts will tell you, "If you don't like it, LEAVE." Case closed.

• dawg
    dawg

I agree with all that you've said, but they enter into this on their own... hard to sue someone when all the participants have done so willingly.

By the by, any hot ex-JW ladies where you are, I love those Phillipino ladies. LOL!

• Dogaradodya
    Dogaradodya

In my case, I had no choice. I was born and reared in a JW family. Getting baptized while still a teenager and forced to go from house to house can hardly be considered willful or legal. My call for a class suit is for former JWs who feel that the damage done to them by the Watchtower is considerable. The Watchtower ruined the first half of my life.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Dogaradodya..I doubt anyone that willfully joined up would be taken seriously..But..Someone who was a kid and had no choice.Might have a chance to see the inside of a courtroom...............Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Responses to your thread tend to be from us in the USA or Britain or other such countries.
    I don't think your lawsuit will fly here, but I applaud your efforts and maybe it will fly where
    you are, or it will make great strides toward getting on the dockets.

Many lawsuits depend on the mood of the public and legislature. Here in the US, it is not
    swinging toward cracking down on the ridiculous cults, but elsewhere it could be- France
    might be the place now.

I wish you strength in any action you partake in.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I think a class action lawsuit is possible to win under certain circumstances. However, I believe it will take a bevy of

extremely good attorneys, well-respected mental health professionals, case-studies of people with psychological and/or

emotional problems that can be directly linked to the WTB&TS, and documentation that the Society manipulates and uses

known brainwashing techniques and high-control procedures to indoctrinate and maintain strict control over their members using

duress.

One area where it gets sticky, is WHEN you became a JW. If you CHOSE that religion as an adult, you probably don't have a

good chance of winning a lawsuit. However, if you were RAISED IN IT as a CHILD, then I believe there is a CASE.

Key words you used: Followers are made to believe

How are they made to believe? If it can be proven that the techniques used are intentionally designed to seize control and maintain it,

then, there may be a good case.

Alienation of affection: Did the elders interfere in your marriage? Did they encourage a husband or wife to "cut off" their spouse because

of religious differences?

Shunning your family members because of disfellowshipping has some good possibilities, imo, for legal ramifications.

I haven't given up on the possibility that some very savvy attorney will one day find the "IN" to accomplish this task. This organization (WTBTS)

is not just a religion protected by the Constitution. It can be proven that it is a business with religious underpinnings and it uses sales/business

techniques and acumen to motivate its built-in sales force (members/publishers).

Another possibility for individual lawsuits is when the Society manipulates and coerces members to will over $$$ and estates to them.

• Dogaradodya
    Dogaradodya

Okay, think about it, all of you out there who feel that the Watchtower ruined the first half of your lives. US$1M for each of us, victims, is not bad. If I get mine, I would no longer bother the Watchtower. I can't let the damage done to me just pass. I can't forgive them, not in this lifetime.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I believe you will find that all this abuse falls under the concept of "freedom of religion."

I actually think it's a bit deeper than that. I would say all of this abuse falls under the concept of "freedom of unimportant religious minorities".

The Jehovah's Witnesses faith is based upon the cornerstone assumption that they will always be a minority. If a majority of the population ever became JW's it would be an extreme threat to the stability of any country and would end up being restricted much more heavily by the government (especially in the case of disfellowshipping).

As long as the JWs continue to be a minority their pracitces are not perceived to be a threat to sociey in general and are therefore ignored.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1 million dollars for each and every,Damaged Dub Kid..I could live with 1 million dollars compensation..Being raised in that Cult was Hell!!....................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit