The elders want a JW to be my Mother in law's POA instead of her own son

by Younglove1999 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

Words fail me !!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Two posts above this one, at the very last part of the article, the 101 year old lady celebrated her birthday at a party. . . who knows, maybe she finally figured it out!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Stuff like this makes me so made - I just want to egg a kingdumb hall - the ordacity - the arrogence of the organisation.

Good for your mom in law that she checked first.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene
    *** km 12/04 p. 7 New Provision to Assist Us to Abstain From Blood ***The DPA card should be prayerfully considered and carefully filled out at home. However, before signing the card, it is important that the legal formalities be closely followed. For example, if your card says that two witnesses are required to see you sign, they should be present when you sign it. Book study overseers may periodically check with those who have not filled out new cards to see if assistance is needed.
    Note that this is done at a book study with only one elder present and that only two "witnesses" are required, not 2 elders to witness your signature.

I'm reading this a little differently than Blondie. It says the DPA card is to be carefully filled out at home but must be signed in the presence of the witnesses (little 'w'). It does not say it must be signed in the presence of a Jehovah's Witness.

Also it says the Book study overseers may check with individuals who have not filled out new cards. I don't see that it says it is to be done at a book study. It definitely does not need to be signed by an elder.

I have been out a very long time and all this started with the blood cards after I left. I ran across a copy of my mother's form when cleaning out my firebox the other day. She had the option of allowing the blood fractions but checked the box for no blood of any kind. I am sure my father's is the same. If they were younger I would try to get them to change it but at 80 & 93 I don't think it is worth the battle.

The elders of my uncle's KH took a Will they had prepared to the hospital where he was in because of Alzheimers and had him sign it leaving everything to the WTS. His entire family allowed the illegal Will to stand and the WTS got everything.

• blondie
    blondie

The practice was to hand out the cards at the book study and have each person fill out everything but the signatures. Then you would find 2 people at the book study to act as "w"itnesses of that signature. Since it was usually done at the book study, most of the people there would be jws. Then the book study conductor would check to see that all was in order and check off their name from his list. Not all book study overseers were so anal about it.

With DPAs it gets more complicated since there are the signatures of the DPA and alternative DPA and 2 "w"itnesses to those signatures. Many jws prefer an elder as a DPA if they do not have a close jw relative that is willing to act for them. Remember the DPA has to play an active part with the doctors and hospital administration taking time out of their "busy" lives. It is legal for any person to act as a "w"itness to the signature but they are usually filled out at the book study where most are jws.

I'm sorry if it seemed that I said that jws were required to be "w"itnesses to the signature. I did not think or believe that and hope I did not mislead anyone.

Blondie

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Thanks for the clarification Blondie. I did not realize the book study overseers were so involved in the process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit