The elders want a JW to be my Mother in law's POA instead of her own son

by Younglove1999 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

I'll keep that in mind Nathan.

Thanks!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    They told her she has to have a JW as her POA, not her son who is no longer a JW. It disgusts me that they think she should just relinquish her rights to some moron in the hall she doesn't know well rather than keep it with her family who she still loves.

Is that even legal? Wouldn't that be considered coercion?

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

I don't know Abandonded-

I'm curious to hear what her attorney has to say on the matter.

• blondie
    blondie

The elders don't have to sign it at all. All she needs is someone to witness the signatures. Who does she have as an alternative proxy? Shame on them for saying that she has to have a jw....jws who don't notice whether you missed a meeting or not, or are sick and stop over to see if you need some errands done--NOT. And then expect these people to take time to represent you at the hospital......no way.

Blondie

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999
    The elders don't have to sign it at all. All she needs is someone to witness the signatures. Who does she have as an alternative proxy? Shame on them for saying that she has to have a jw....jws who don't notice whether you missed a meeting or not, or are sick and stop over to see if you need some errands done--NOT. And then expect these people to take time to represent you at the hospital......no way.

She was told when she asked her JW friends to be her "witness" that an elder HAD to sign it. I was told the same thing a few months before I stopped going to meetings when I filled out my proxy form (which I shredded)-an elder had to sign it, not just any publisher.

but yeah, legally anybody can be a witness on that form-

and i so hear you on the other stuff you mentioned

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I was hubby's POA on the all JW papers..the elders didn't have to sign it!!!!

This was done even tho I told him I didn't know what I would do if they said he needed blood.Also he had a JW mother and sister and bil that could have been on it but they lived an hour away.He preferred me.

Snoozy...

• Forscher
    Forscher

I agree that top be legally binding the document does not require the signatures of elders.

That appears to be a control thing on the part of the organization. Tell your mother-in-law to let her attorney do the work. Any DPA he/she produces would have your mother-in-laws wishes in mind a lot more than any one-size-fits-all form which puts the interests of the Witness organization ahead of its members.

Forscher

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

This subject hits close to home with me. My wife will be having a kidney transplant sometime in the next 12-24 months, and I'm currently her POA. My wife knows how I feel now, but not the members of her family, MIL and SIL both pioneers and BIL headed towards badtism. It's very touchy because if I come into the open I run the risk of one of them trying to change her mind about the POA thing. I think I'd better consult an attorney. Only thing I know for sure is that she'll get whatever she needs to survive.

sooner7nc

• flipper
    flipper

YOUNG LOVE- I agree with Forscher and others this certainly is a control thing the elders use to exercise power over you. Your husband and you are smart in the way you are handling it . Kudos to you ! Good work. Those crazy elders would control what shade and thickness of toilet paper we each used if we let them ! Oh. Wait a minute. They already do control the toilet paper orders for Bethelites , almost forgot ! Bottom line is- don't let them have any control in your lives, and your relatives lives if you can do it

• blondie
    blondie
    *** km 12/04 p. 7 New Provision to Assist Us to Abstain From Blood ***The DPA card should be prayerfully considered and carefully filled out at home. However, before signing the card, it is important that the legal formalities be closely followed. For example, if your card says that two witnesses are required to see you sign, they should be present when you sign it. Book study overseers may periodically check with those who have not filled out new cards to see if assistance is needed.

Note that this is done at a book study with only one elder present and that only two "witnesses" are required, not 2 elders to witness your signature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit