And When I Die...

by Farkel 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• Farkel
    Farkel

:All a person has to do is be really sorry for their shortcomings and ask Jesus to pay the debt that will surely be served up on Judgment Day.

Not according to the Bible, which tells us the wages of sin is death. You die, debt paid. You don't have to apologize for shit according to that verse. Death, especially painful death and the pain it causes to family, loved ones and friends is a pretty damn high price to pay, don't you think? But then again, Bible God(tm) is so bloodthirsty, vengeful and vain one never knows what to expect from Him.

Farkel

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Perry,

If your an atheist, (or an indoctrinated JW) then a person can simply imagine it's all pretty easy..... just slip off into non existence. Of course if that is not true then the person has a clear and present problem on their hands if there is a God with a sense of justice that demands punishment of sin.

As you seem to have placed a what appears to be 50/50 gamble before us, my bet is to live my life as a person who thinks the idea of a judgement in the afterlife is a concept more fitting to ages past, when people, including Christ, thought the mentally ill were possessed by demons.

You are of course also welcome to gamble on your own beliefs, whether they make you sound like a self-righteous prat or not.

HS

• juni
    juni

"The distinctive human problem from time immemorial has been the need to spiritualize human life, to lift it onto a special immortal plane, beyond the cycles of life and death that characterize all other organisms." - Ernest Becker

interesting thread Farkel...

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

When you die Farkle, I'm going to make sure your obituary and head stone contain grammatical errors - appearing as quotes from you.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've accepted that I will die and I don't see any valid reason to believe that the I-ness that I experience is due to the fact that their's some immortal, non-material essence within me that is somehow linked up to my physical body*. We're biological machines, and that's all.

It's wondering how I will die that occasionally gets my stomach in knots. The ever-accelerating rate of change in society and technology gives me a feeling of vertigo sometimes, and I wonder how I'm even going to make it another 30 or 40 years. Then there's always global warming, bird flu, shit like that to worry about. It's the uncertainty that I hate. You can see why I was such an enthusiastic Watchtower convert.

*for want of a better way to phrase it, as the phrase "my physical body" is an example of the millenia-old dualistic thinking that is still very evident in our language.

• Perry
    Perry
    Not according to the Bible, which tells us the wages of sin is death. You die, debt paid.

I thought most old timers around here know that to be WT propaganda. I mean, if the end game of the WT is to get people to publically reject the sin atoning sacrifice of Jesus at the Memorial, then the first thing you have to get rid of is the possibility of personal guilt. Their spin on that one scripture contradicts dozens of others. In other words, you are the one who inserted the words "debt paid", and it is not in any way equal to: "the wages of sin is death". The teaching that you can redeem yourself is not in the bible.

When people were listening to Jesus, there wasn't a "Watchtower Representative" there to explain that what Jesus said wasn't really what he said.

I mean what do you think the average person thought Jesus meant when he said these words in Luke 16?

the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Unconfused,

: When you die Farkle, I'm going to make sure your obituary and head stone contain grammatical errors - appearing as quotes from you.

Interesting. Don't you have any problems in your own life to deal with? Is your own life so perfect that you have nothing better to do than wait until I die and then deal with my obituary and especially since I don't even know you from Jack.

Or are you just a grandstanding twit who has nothing important to say other than picking on people for the purpose of picking on people, you loser?

Say something important. Impress me. Forget about my head stone. Make a difference NOW. Well?

Farkel

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    All a person has to do is be really sorry for their shortcomings and ask Jesus to pay the debt that will surely be served up on Judgment Day.

May I ask an honest question? I mean after that one.

Why should I accept this statement as fact? Because a book cobbled together by semi-literate shepherds says so? What is there in real life indicates your statement is factual or accurate? My experience is that anyone can take nearly any statement from the Bible and make it say whatever they want. It seems to me religion is more about spin control than anything else.

But why should I accept what you say?

I was born in Missouri, so I guess my response to your statment is ... show me.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

We will find out when we get there. Period.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Perry,

: I mean what do you think the average person thought Jesus meant when he said these words in Luke 16?

:the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

:And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

So...your argument is that the wages of sin is NOT death in contradiction to scripture. No! After death, the debt is not paid and psycho God is still messing up people after they have paid the ultimate sacrifice of dying.

Some doofus God you worship, doofus.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit