Concrete Reasons for Being a JW (or member of any religion)

by Mrs. Witness 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Here is a question I've been wanting to ask hubby: "Why do you want to be a JW?" and I don't want ethereal answers like "they have the truth" "everlasting life" and other such nonsensical ramblings. I am not a member of any organized religion and I don't see the appeal.

Can anyone answer the question with a concrete reason?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you are not in a JW family already, and you take away the "everlasting life" and "they have the truth"
    reasons, there really isn't any appeal to become a JW.

Religion in general- people want to "belong" somewhere. They have a sense of community with
    people of similar beliefs. Not just religious beliefs, but moral and ethical beliefs, values, etc.
    Many churches give people a "feel good" reason to be there, also. They might enjoy the social
    aspects of the religion or the musical atmosphere of services. Many people continue in a religion
    because of the social and business connections.

Why would you take away the very reasons anyone should join a religion?
    I will grant that JW's (and everyone else) don't have "the truth" but many sincere people
    join because of that.

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Thanks OTWO. I want to take those two reasons away because, in my opinion, they are cop-outs. I think you are right that they want to "belong". I also feel that, in hubby's case, many religiosos need stiff-handed direction.

I want to ask hubby so he will THINK about why he wants to be a JW.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    many religiosos need stiff-handed direction

That would be a reason that parents want junior in a religion or
    a spouse wants their wild spouse to stick with a religion.

IMO- For oneself, stiff-handed direction would only work if the person felt
    that the reward came with it- everlasting life or a trip to heaven.
    Many JW's love being told how to think and behave and who to hate and who to
    love, but they think that means they will get Jehovah's approval of their life.

• Zico
    Zico

I once managed to get a group of Jehovah's Witnesses to admit they would not be Jehovah's Witnesses if there was not a Paradise Earth hope. There is no other reason. It's 'The Truth' neither here nor there, because I don't think most Jehovah's Witnesses like their religion, it's too burdensome, a lot only force themselves to like it because of the Paradise Earth belief.

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Simply because they believe there is a God and that we should worship him and that the Bible is trustworthy and gives us truthful, reliable explanations about where we are from, the best way of living now, and what our future can be. That's it in a nutshell really.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Each religion can say "we have the truth" because ..., and then list certain things that make their religion unique. For example Catholics would identify the direct line back to Jesus.

For JWs they can recite from the publications a list of 10 important things that (they think) are unique to the organization, and think are necessary for the true religion. For example

• only they use the name Jehovah
    • only they preach
    • only they do not go to war
    • only they have identified Jesus as ruling from 1914
    • only they are moral

The thing is that the claims religions make are the ones where they excel, ignoring the areas where they fall down. For example, a JW will be quick to point out that only JWs show love since only they do not go to war (which is a fallacy see http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/war.htm) but they will overlook that they do not provide charities, schools or hospitals as other loving religions do.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

in the jw cult..........(i just like phraseing it that way lol) you get this wonderfull thing called self righteousness........... the cult leaders(governing body) tell you EXACTLY how to behave, think, dress, act........... and you BELIVE that will get you the reward your searching for. makes you so much better than ANYONE else in the world. who wouldnt love that........... to not have to think just read the publications and turn in that field circus report showing your 10 hours of service a month............ drive that 4 door sedan............ and make all 5 of those weekly meetings........ and god loves you...........

now if you dont do those things....... omg your gonna be bird food.............

now if you add on top of all that......... the lie that they have the "truth" or that they are the only ones that show love or any of their other propaganda(bulls***) you get the perfect religion for the weak minded who dont wanna think for themselves, and it makes those who are prehaps poor and uneducated feel SUPERIOR to EVERYONE they encounter.......... why? because they have the secrets to everlasting life and you dont wanna listen to their tripe so................. your gonna die and they are not.

also what if your a natural social reject........ or youve moved and have no friends where your at........ you can get love bombed into the cult and you think that now you have this intense loving brotherhood that will welcome you no matter what.......... with open arms......... at least untill you get baptised and then start to not measure up........ fact is most christian religions will welcome you with open arms............ and some of them will actually be good for you...... and NOT require you to give vast amounts of money to be a member.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

primativegenious...........Here I sit at what time is it, 6:57, I'm trying to wake up. On my second cup of coffee and you just gave me this MONSTROUS HEADACHE!!!! LMAOROF....Just kidding friend, you hit it all so squarely on the head. You put it all in a nut shell. Cudos to you buddy. You shuold copy right that info and make it a must read for all BOE. WHEEEEEEEEEEW! have a great day !

NMG

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Very good point JWfacts. It makes me wonder whether a religion should be judged by what it gets right or by what it gets wrong?

That would make a good topic for starting a new thread on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit